Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Here's a thought, are we a reason Melbourne sucks in depth this year? And...is Donuts the reason they were so good for so long?

They will always be up there while ever they have Bellamy BUT here is what I mean, Jensen, Palasia, James, Hosking, Pereira, TMM, Lee and Hoeter, etc are the types of background signings that Melbourne have been so good at getting for so long. Suddenly, their depth is non-existent because clubs like us, and I'd argue mainly us, have stepped in and signed up these key depth type signings first. So we and them have been decimated by injury this year and instead of US having no depth, it is Melbourne. Something also seems off about them, they don't seem like they like each other much.

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
FYMCcx3VsAI9A2G
Flashbacks...

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Here's a thought, are we a reason Melbourne sucks in depth this year? And...is Donuts the reason they were so good for so long?

They will always be up there while ever they have Bellamy BUT here is what I mean, Jensen, Palasia, James, Hosking, Pereira, TMM, Lee and Hoeter, etc are the types of background signings that Melbourne have been so good at getting for so long. Suddenly, their depth is non-existent because clubs like us, and I'd argue mainly us, have stepped in and signed up these key depth type signings first. So we and them have been decimated by injury this year and instead of US having no depth, it is Melbourne. Something also seems off about them, they don't seem like they like each other much.

When you have an exec like DD in running front office, it would be hard to turn down playing for a club like the Broncos. You would take less money and have confidence in the direction. You would be signing up to win, not just for a contract.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Hate to admit it but Turpin was decent tonight. Some big tackles, good ball from dummy half

Yeah that good ball from DH .
The one that was a metre fwd was a beaudy . I noticed the forwards weren`t catching the ball on the advantage line for a time after that .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Broncos are just doing it better- they haven't taken anyone off the Storm. I doubt Storm sign any of those players.

The Broncos have done a better job of tapping into feeder clubs- Martin, Hosking and Hoeter and Palasia all came from Wynnum and train and trial deals.

I have been saying for years the Broncos need a Gillett or Reed win and they haven't been coming. It's been a real downfall that Ikin has corrected.

Ikin is a massive fan of the ISC and knows it back to front. He also knows if you don't get value out of players 25-30 you don't win a comp.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
just on the Reynolds try .... he showed great desperation to get to the lose ball first.

he came from a long way back to beat Blake who was right next to the ball

It was on of those nights as well when the ball just seemed to bounce our way every time. We've been on the other end of those types of games so often, it's nice to get one back.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Bennett is doing his darndest to gut them next year even further.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Am I the only one that cannot understand how there is so much outrage over the obstruction no try? He literally ran into Reynolds and knocked him over. How is that and when has that not been an obstruction? It was so blatant I can't believe the ref missed it.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
Am I the only one that cannot understand how there is so much outrage over the obstruction no try? He literally ran into Reynolds and knocked him over. How is that and when has that not been an obstruction? It was so blatant I can't believe the ref missed it.
The media (and the ex-player "experts") have got this whole inside/outside shoulder thing confused. That only matters in the context of which gap the decoy runs into - if it's inside, the defender isn't obstructed from following the pass across field and thus is play-on. You can't knock the defender over, full stop - unless of course the defender is the one forcing the contact i.e. making a tackle.

I've only come across three articles about the game so far. All three are whinging about this obviously correct decision.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'd like to give a special mention to Kotoni Staggs for this play in the final minute of the game.

The game is almost over, most players would just give up on it - we know the Broncos of the past two or three seasons definitely would. Blake is over for a try for all money here - he's split the defenders, Pereira is facing the opposite direction and has to turn, and Staggs is behind the man and the ball. Yet, he somehow manages to get a grab on him and uses his body strength to twist and hold him up.

A couple of other players came in and assisted, but Staggs did all the work there. I thought it was a phenomenal effort at a point in the match where nothing much really mattered anymore. It demonstrates the shift in attitude of this team - the newfound focus on defence and playing for the full 80 minutes.

Keep it up, boys.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The media (and the ex-player "experts") have got this whole inside/outside shoulder thing confused. That only matters in the context of which gap the decoy runs into - if it's inside, the defender isn't obstructed from following the pass across field and thus is play-on. You can't knock the defender over, full stop - unless of course the defender is the one forcing the contact i.e. making a tackle.

I've only come across three articles about the game so far. All three are whinging about this obviously correct decision.
It's pretty scary that all these people that are paid to be experts on the game can't understand a basic rule. Worse than that they are calling for the rule to be changed to allow that. If you could do that the average scoreline in an NRL game would be 110 - 106.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Broncos are just doing it better- they haven't taken anyone off the Storm. I doubt Storm sign any of those players.

The Broncos have done a better job of tapping into feeder clubs- Martin, Hosking and Hoeter and Palasia all came from Wynnum and train and trial deals.

I have been saying for years the Broncos need a Gillett or Reed win and they haven't been coming. It's been a real downfall that Ikin has corrected.

Ikin is a massive fan of the ISC and knows it back to front. He also knows if you don't get value out of players 25-30 you don't win a comp.
The great thing too is you would think fringe players would see what the likes of Martin, Gamble, Kelly, Jensen, Hoeter, Lee, Periera, Walters etc have achieved at the club and it would give them confidence that this is a place you go to if you are trying to Reignite your career.

There has been such a clear path to the NRL via Q Cup and the broncos that guys like Jensen, who’s output is greater than their current perceived value, will be happy to take a punt at getting the opportunity to display their ability.

This is what the storm has done well for years and it’s why they get such great deals on the undervalued players.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Maroon4life
  • The Strapper
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • Browny
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Spooky1013
  • The True King
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.