vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to get a rocket but need to rest Oates and limit McGuire for a week since so short on forwards. We have 3 games in 12days so have to manage squad.

1. Boyd (can’t bother arguing this one at this point)
2. Isaako
3. Roberts (only if fully fit)
4. Staggs (if allowed if not might be stuck with Kahu)
5. Kahu (Pearson if not Oates looks like needs a week off)
6. Milf
7. KNik (another why bother)
8. Lodge (if enough troops might need a rest week after)
9. Macca (first 30 then rested or if short lock for another 20)
10. Thaiday (is protected species too)
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Offa (needs to lead the pack this week assuming fit after limp)
14. Turpin
15. McGuire (lower minutes as looks tired).
16. Sua (another kid who needs less minutes to take pressure off for a week or two)
17. Staggs/Sims
18.Fifita

If had more troops and finals situation less of a worry then McGuire, Macca, Sua and Lodge all look like they could use a week off to freshen for push to finals but have to make do. Fifita looks like needs to go back to QCup for a month after his initial taste not cause he was poor but looks like needs some time to take it back to lower level to show what he’s learnt.

Nows not the time to go backwards and give everyone a rest we need to fire up and put everyone in.

They'll probably keep picking Staggs, since he can't start and is a big talent, but I really want to see Turpin get more time instead. Someone elsewhere mentioned how he was Cam Smith's understudy for some time too, and he's only 21 himself. We've always looked better when we had a dummy half playing off the bench too.
He is not top 30, so we may not be able to...

He is not top 30, so we may not be able to...

Robert's should be back, but Kahu has really worried me with his defence. I dont think its sensible to carry Staggs just to swap him for another center like has generally been the case with him so far. It's a waste of an interchange. If he isnt going to be starting I think Turpin or another big forward should be on the bench.

Robert's should be back, but Kahu has really worried me with his defence. I dont think its sensible to carry Staggs just to swap him for another center like has generally been the case with him so far. It's a waste of an interchange. If he isnt going to be starting I think Turpin or another big forward should be on the bench.

What big forward? Cupboard is getting bare. Besides only need 3 running forwards on a bench 4th is wasted generally with 8 interchanges unless you have a dynamite impact forward who is only good for 20 minutes at the end. Agree with Turpin. Although Staggs looks like a Shaun berrigan type love to see what he can do at 9. Has he ever player there?

What big forward? Cupboard is getting bare. Besides only need 3 running forwards on a bench 4th is wasted generally with 8 interchanges unless you have a dynamite impact forward who is only good for 20 minutes at the end. Agree with Turpin. Although Staggs looks like a Shaun berrigan type love to see what he can do at 9. Has he ever player there?

Havent seen him playing nine, but I reckon he could, said so a couple of weeks ago.

We could also easily put Carrigan into the forward rotation. He has been outstanding for a kid his age in ISC quite honestly.

Last edited:
I doubt the boys put in another shitty performance like they did today. Dunno if we can jag the Panthers, but I doubt we'll let them run away with anything.

Last edited:
1. Boyd (c)
2. Pearson
3. Roberts
4. Kahu
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Oates
12. Su'A
13. Pangai Jr

14. Glenn
15. Thaiday
16. Sims
17. Ofahengaue

Slightly controversial, but I think it's time to test out Oates in the backrow. The same thing happened last year after he bombed in Origin, he came back for us and completely forgot how to catch the football and how to finish tries. I'm very worried about his confidence right now, I think he'll be better suited to the edge for the remainder of the season, for multiple reasons. First and foremost, it allows us to get Jonus on the left wing, who I was really impressed with last week, and might add a bit of spark to our attack. Secondly, it gives Milford an extra damaging runner off the short ball on the left. No offense to Glenn, but he doesn't run lines like he used to.

Obviously the big concern will be defensively, how will he handle the workload? Will he be able to help cover up some of Milford's mistakes? Who knows? I wouldn't mind finding out before we lose Oates without even knowing what he's capable of. If he's struggling with the workload, we have Glenn on the bench to give him a spell.

I would also like to take the opportunity to make the McGuire --> Prop transition formal, he doesn't have the necessary ball playing ability to be our Lock, TPJ does. It'll also actually be beneficial for McGuire's future QLD & AUS representative aspirations playing at Prop, with the emergence of J.Trbojevic, De Belin & Arrow, who are all considerably better Lock's than he is.

In regards to "What do we do with Gillett & Bird once they come back?", the short answer is, we don't. They're both still struggling clearly, Gillett can't even stay on the training paddock without something tearing or straining, give him the remainder of the year off. (Not a stretch, considering he's going to be out a minimum 3-4 more weeks with his calf injury, which will only leave him a month of footy prior to the finals anyway, barely enough for him to get match fitness & timings back.)

We'll have to make some tough calls in the off-season, but we'll have a much better idea of who the priority re-signing should be out of Oates & Su'A if we get to see them in their preferred positions for the remainder of the year.

Last edited:

I'm fairly sure he had a run at hooker in the Theodore trial game and he definitely didn't look out of place.

When I first saw him I got the Shaun Berrigan vibe as well, tough as nails and plenty of speed around the ruck to keep the markers honest.

Time to start Offa at prop instead of Thaiday and TPJ instead of Glenn. Give Thaiday 10 mins either side of half time: Offa and Lodge can and should play 55-60 mins.
Agree. Wayne Bennett is falling into the same mindset as Paul Green and that is to appease the older players in their twilight years and getting the same results. I applaud their loyalty but not the resulting positions on the ladder.

Last edited:
Josh Mansour is set to return this week.

Meanwhile the Broncos are likely to lose Su'A and Ofahengaue.

Jaydn Su'A suffered a broken ankle and could be out for the season.

I wish Bird was fit, now would be the perfect time to try him out in the second row.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Alex Glenn
12. David Fifita
13. Josh McGuire

14. Kotoni Staggs/Patrick Mago
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Korbin Sims

That's what the side is going to be. There isn't going to be any experiment with Oates to the backrow. There isn't going to be a change in the centres.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Alex Glenn
12. David Fifita
13. Josh McGuire

14. Kotoni Staggs/Patrick Mago
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Korbin Sims

That's what the side is going to be. There isn't going to be any experiment with Oates to the backrow. There isn't going to be a change in the centres.
I read somewhere that big Joe might struggle to be fit as well. It's been that sort of season where injury has been a constant disruption on a team that wasn't that strong to begin with. To be 10-7 in a season where the lineup has constantly changed is a testament to this franchise and the people involved.

Jaydn Su'A suffered a broken ankle and could be out for the season.

This could be potentially be good for the broncos re-signing him. Yeah it sucks for sua to be injured but with him not playing he flies under the radar now and the media won't report on him as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Aldo
  • MrMoore
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Battler
  • broncotville
  • mitch222
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  • Manlyman
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.