12. Pangai Jr
13. McGuire

14. Staggs
15. Ofahengaue
16. Sims
19. Fifita

18. Shibasaki
20. Tagatese

I would've dropped Sims for the rest of the season as soon as he signed with Merge if I were coach. Mago automatically deserves to be there more.

Must still be worried about TPJ. Prop rotation need to stand up. With both Sims and Thaiday, concerning

I hope bennett sticks with isaako at fullback regardless of results. There's been too much chopping and changing to the team this year.

Tackles that he shouldn't have to make? What's he supposed to do if someone runs at him? Move aside and hope someone else makes the tackle?

Milford wouldn't be the first half that misses the odd tackle here and there. Considering the amount of tackles he has to make, he defends quite well, for his size.

Milford wouldn't be the first half that misses the odd tackle here and there. Considering the amount of tackles he has to make, he defends quite well, for his size.
He has been quite good this season. But that attempt on Luke was pure laziness

Good news for us, he's an excellent player.

I don’t see it as super necessary right now with his ability to actually run and break the line. That alone will create space and he just needs to draw and pass. But no doubt Boyd will still run a sweep every so often and will be helping him with that part of his game. The sweep hasn’t really been working lately anyway

Also something we know about Isaako is he takes pride in doing extras
The sweep hasn't been working because Boyd is moving too slow and the defense know he is a long shot to actually run the ball and beat them, so they just rush him.

For the sweep to work, the fullback needs to create the overlap, and they do this by getting outside a player, and bringing up a 3 on 2 situation. If the fullback is basically known to not run the ball, it's essentially just a 2 on 2, and that is why so often this year we have seen the sweep play stop because Boyd gets the ball, realises he hasn't drawn any defenders, and then just stops like a deer in headlights and takes the tackle.

The sweep hasn't been working because Boyd is moving too slow and the defense know he is a long shot to actually run the ball and beat them, so they just rush him.

For the sweep to work, the fullback needs to create the overlap, and they do this by getting outside a player, and bringing up a 3 on 2 situation. If the fullback is basically known to not run the ball, it's essentially just a 2 on 2, and that is why so often this year we have seen the sweep play stop because Boyd gets the ball, realises he hasn't drawn any defenders, and then just stops like a deer in headlights and takes the tackle.

Yeah, I think this is a bit of a factor. It's why Tedesco goes well with it at times too - mediocre (or even pretty poor) ball player with an amazing running game to suck in defenders.

The most interesting part of this move is that.. is Bird gone?

If this works and Isaako looks good at Fullback / Boyd strengthens the left side defensively, I don't see how Bird cracks the starting 13 next season. We'll have an abundance of edge back rowers & locks.. And hypothetically the 1/3/4 spots will all be sewed up. That really only leaves the halves.. which I can think we all agree, is probably the least ideal spot for him long-term with Milford already there.
I don't think the odds of us keeping oates are high.

I'd imagine one of these scensarios; and probably in this order.

1. Oates leaves, Boyd shifts to left wing, and Bird left centre.
2. Boyd retires, Jack Bird takes his spot as left centre and Isaako stays fullback.
3. McGuire moves to prop with Lodge and Jack Bird goes to lock with Gillett and Glenn in the second row, TPJ, Sua, Haas, Fifita bench.

The other option, which may still occur is that Gillett doesn't return... Seeing his interview he got very emotional and may be able to retire on medical grounds after his neck injury / the psychological impact it has had on him. If this were to occur, would likely see option 3 occur with TPJ or Sua getting that second row spot.

I know a lot of you would place Sua/TPJ ahead of Glenn for starting second rower, but Glenn is very good defensively, makes very few errors, and can still run some very good lines. Additionally Sua/TPJ both offer more impact off the bench than Glenn would so i'd still expect him to be starting, with them coming on after 30 minutes or so.

We score a try just about every single game with this sweep play. Boyd has even scored tries himself recently using this play!

Not sure how I feel about this game.. I'm worried about Kikau running at Nikorima, that could easily be the difference.

Not sure how I feel about this game.. I'm worried about Kikau running at Nikorima, that could easily be the difference.

I was enjoying my day until you reminded me of this!

Then I thought to myself it's not going to be much prettier on the other side of the field with Yeo running at Milford.

We score a try just about every single game with this sweep play. Boyd has even scored tries himself recently using this play!

This year? This year the sweep play has always been pretty useless I thought. I could be wrong, I was probably high. But I mean, adding to the fact that Boyd plays like grandma now, every single NRL team in the comp knows this play. But it's all we have.

This year? This year the sweep play has always been pretty useless I thought. I could be wrong, I was probably high. But I mean, adding to the fact that Boyd plays like grandma now, every single NRL team in the comp knows this play. But it's all we have.
Have to agree. I think the sweep play in general is not as dangerous anymore. With the opposition winger flying in these days, the execution has to be perfect for it to be really effective. I think it gets shut down pretty well now, with the Broncs sweep play no different.

I think teams who attack up the middle around the ruck with nippy hookers and fullbacks have the upper hand at the moment.

Have to agree. I think the sweep play in general is not as dangerous anymore. With the opposition winger flying in these days, the execution has to be perfect for it to be really effective. I think it gets shut down pretty well now, with the Broncs sweep play no different.

I think teams who attack up the middle around the ruck with nippy hookers and fullbacks have the upper hand at the moment.

It's too bad because Nikorima could be the perfect nippy hooker.

I reckon if you pressure SF, he'll be able to put a compilation together for you of all those sweep plays, where one-leg Boyd still manages to succeed in creating the overlap.

And yeah, he's done it regularly this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
  • Maroon4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • jarro65
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Lurker
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • davidp
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.