PRE-GAME Round 19 - Titans vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

It’s starting to sink in that Macca and Boyd will still be first picked two years from now

Cheer up, by then it will only be 15 years since we last won a premiership.

Last edited:
I'd say Siebold just wants to keep the same spine for more than 1 week for potentially the first time this season. Hence turps holding on to the 7 and Dearden doing a little more rehab. I wonder if Glenn is set to be a long term choice at centre to get Fifita into the starting back row. Would make sense while we are light on experienced centres and with Glenn's touch footy background he should have the lateral movement to more than hold his own.

Renouf hails Broncos youngster Staggs
  • Ed Jackson
July 24 2019 - 3:31AM

Kotoni Staggs has impressed the likes of former great Steve Renouf at Brisbane.
The 20-year-old scored two tries, made two line breaks, two line-break assists and ran for 144 metres in the Broncos' 28-6 win over Canterbury last Thursday.
It continued a fine 2019 for Staggs, who has missed just one match for the Broncos this season after nine appearances in his first NRL campaign last year.
Renouf, who won four premierships with the Broncos and scored 142 tries in 183 games for the club, said Staggs has the skill and mentality to become a genuine NRL star.
"He's been great, from his debut. He had a great debut for the club," Renouf told AAP.
"I've been doing a bit of work with him through Deadly Choices (an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health initiative) and he's just a good lad. He's very focused on his footy.
"His performance last week was unbelievable.
"He's had limited runs in the NRL but he's matured very quickly. He's got a good footy head on him and I'll think he'll just keep going and going for us."
Staggs is just one of several young Broncos making a name for themselves at Red Hill under Anthony Seibold.
Teenage prop Payne Haas, Queensland State of Origin representatives David Fifita and Joe Ofahengaue, hooker Jake Turpin, forward Tom Flegler and halfback Tom Dearden have all played key roles throughout the season for Brisbane.
Renouf admits he had doubts about throwing so many youngsters in at once, but has come around to Seibold's youthful team.
"I was personally a bit wary of that but you can see the way they're playing - they're going to be in-and-out of games because of their age but already they're starting to show a little bit of maturity," he said, as the Broncos prepare to face south-east Queensland rivals Gold Coast on Saturday.
"Look back at last week's game and they play some good footy. They just need to back that up going into the next game as well."
Australian Associated Press

Who’s Jimmy the Jet.😉

Kotoni Staggs for right centre SOO1 next year..????....he might very well be on track to be in the mix..

Kotoni Staggs for right centre SOO1 next year..????....he might very well be on track to be in the mix..
Tommy Turbo might be pretty hard to unseat. Might be a vacancy on the left side though.

Why David Fifita modelled his power game on Sam Burgess
Joel GouldWed 24 Jul 2019, 06:01 PM
When Broncos teenager David Fifita chills out and watches footy it is the toughness and his physicality of Rabbitohs forward leader Sam Burgess that he studies and strives to emulate.

Fifita said this week he had been modelling his game on Burgess and Cowboys wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo since he was a schoolboy.

"I try and watch my idols play. Sam Burgess is one, and Taumalolo. They are big boys and when I was a little kid watching them play on the couch I tried to model my game on theirs. Every time their teams play I go to those two," Fifita said.

When Fifita was asked what he most admires about Burgess he said "just his toughness and his physicality".

Fifita's Keebra Park High School coach Glen Campbell recalled the England star being the one that his young protege used to rave about.

"Dave spoke to me about Sam Burgess time and time again and I said it is wise if you can model your game on those sort of guys that are succeeding at a high level. It means everything every time Burgess runs, and Dave has always had that in his game," Campbell told NRL.com.

"At Keebra Park High he knew when it was time to stand up and take control of a football game. He has always looked up to Burgess.

"Burgess has that similar turn of pace. He has a similar build to Burgess, although not as tall. Burgess doesn’t take a backward step, like Dave, and is hard to handle himself."

Burgess has a knack of steaming into defensive lines and emerging out the other side through sheer strength and will.

Fifita has scored some rampaging tries of his own this year, none better than his 30-mtre effort against the Warriors in the recent 18-18 draw where he wrangled his way past five staggered defenders to score.

For Campbell that determination and strength brought back memories of a try he created out of nothing as a youth when the defensive line was set and had Fifita in its sights.

"All I know is that when the going got tough David Fifita always stood up and the one that really sticks out in my mind was the state championships when he was trying to make the Queensland side and he was playing for South Coast against Met West," Campbell recalled.

"Met West had their tails up and a lot of pressure on South Coast. From a 20-metre restart Dave said 'give me the ball here'. They had a big pack and they were ready for him. He took the ball off the halfback, went straight into the teeth of the pack, came out the other side and put the fullback under the posts.

"It turned the whole game and was something remarkable. Everyone said 'wow, did you see that?'. They weren’t scared of him but he went straight through them like they were not there."

We need to keep him big time.

Cant we play the "thats in QLD card?"
Apparently not. I mean, even living in ipswich for 10 years isn't good enough. It does trigger me how QLD gets the hate when they have had people like Tamou (NZ) and Peter Stirling (toowoomba) play for them...

Apparently not. I mean, even living in ipswich for 10 years isn't good enough. It does trigger me how QLD gets the hate when they have had people like Tamou (NZ) and Peter Stirling (toowoomba) play for them...

When that song came out I think we'd won something like 7 or 8 straight? They needed something to cheer the little tykes up.

If we put 30+ on the titans we will make a dint in the finals this year.

We will make a bigger dent if we can get past the storm next week .
I don’t want to go off early, as we obviously have to get past the Titans first, but I think we’ll roll the storm.

I can feel it in my waters.

Honestly.......for me its pretty simple........if we don't win this game then we don't deserve to be in the finals.
I think it will be tougher than some think but there does seem to be a bit of belief in the Broncos at this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tits lead at halftime with the Broncos getting them in the second half.

I thought I heard one of the Tits players say that the fitness regime wasn't really as demanding as at the top end clubs and that isn't an issue with the Broncos and might be to our advantage in the latter stages of the match.

Either way the remaining matches and challenges have to be met head on and overcome convincingly to demonstrate that THIS year we are a threat. Every year should be considered a premiership year and the word 'rebuilding' should never be uttered. No excuses, no apologies.

Oh.... I have no doubt the Titans are not going to make this easy, we will need to up for this game but that doesn't distract that from the fact that if we lose we are kidding ourselves that we deserve be in the eight.

Last edited:
There seems a mental issue with us when we come up against the Tit's. For whatever reason, we rarely seem to turn up against them - thinking it'll be an easy 2 points. There is no doubt that they (like Melbourne) love to turn it on when they play us. Also, they were good in the first 20 mins last week.
I have heard some talk from the playing group this week though, that has kind of addressed this issue. I think we are starting to understand that no win in the NRL is easy, and there are really no guaranteed 2 points against any team.
I am however, a little worried that we already have one eye on next weeks game against the Strom.
We need to win against the Tit's to have any chance of making the 8.
If we can get it done against Melbourne next week then I think we could really shake the top sides. We like playing the Roosters, and I genuinely believe that we will beat the Souffs in a few weeks at Suncorp. We have a horrendous record against the Storm tho.
Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun, but I like what is happening within this team, we just cannot afford a half arsed game tomorrow or we will be done.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • RolledOates
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.