10 S. Keppie 0 0 0 0 2 0 20 3 0 6 0 0 0m 49m 1 1
11 K. Koloamatangi 0 0 0 0 1 0 19 0 0 10 0 0 0m 88m 0 0
16 S. Mitchell 0 0 0 0 0 1 23 0 0 10 0 0 0m 78m 0 0
13 C. Murray 0 0 0 0 2 1 45 3 0 10 0 1 6m 70m 1 1
12 T. Duncan 0 0 0 0 1 1 15 1 0 7 0 0 0m 51m 0 0
14 S. Havili 1 4 1 1 3 0 24 3 0 7 0 0 0m 47m 1 0
15 D. Moale 1 4 0 1 2 0 17 3 0 12 0 0 0m 93m 0 1
17 T. Burgess 0 0 0 0 1 0 11 6 0 9 0 0 0m 77m 0 0

Both of those tries from Mariner, Oates does not score those. He doesn't even come close.

We have a genuine speedster for kicks behind the line, I'm willing to sacrifice the metres Oates makes for that. And that chip and chase try, the confidence to even try it..

I would like to think he's putting the debate to bed on whether Oates should be in the side over him.
Yep. Walsh creates huge amounts of space and threads a grubber on the tryline. He does it every game. Mariner is the perfect guy to score those tries.

fine if mid game but not the whole game obviously, even though it's clear we have given him alot more kicking responsibility this year which he has done well at too.
He still had to kick it dead from our 40m line once though.
He's shocking for doing that once a game

Agree. Carrigan looks flatter than last season. I would like to see the X-Man in for Baker
I thought carrigan was fantastic. He was constantly making opportunities for other players to fluff it up. Id be tempted to drop hethrington on that dropped ball with the try line open, alone.
He tried but he was aweful, and a small forward needs to better, or why have him there. Tapau was the same. Baker was better.
Willlison walks into the squad with a good game this weekend and id use oates on the bench. 1He can run at least, and his hamds hands arent any worse than the others. Tell him to work hard and its his.

Last week we were average and went down by 10, this week we were very average and managed a win. Shows the serious potential in this team but some serious work to do to get there.

I really hope Piakura can string some games together. He's the complete package, hits hard, runs hard and looked to handle the full 80 mins.

Not sure if Hass has dropped some kilos but doesn't seem to he having the impact of previous years, they seem to be putting him on the ground a bit easier this year.

There were a few moments i really liked about Walsh out there. One stage we were parked in our own end and he got in there and booted the ball down field early getting us out of trouble. Also saw him addressing the team at fulltime in a huddle. I'd like to see him start to take control of games like that and not just pull off the big try scoring moments.

Given how poor we've started the season just shows how impressive Bellamy's record of first round wins is. How does the man do it?

Vlcsnap 2024 03 15 07h17m59s137

Good win Brisbane - again, 80% Broncos is enough to beat most team in the comp, particularly at home.

That was a game of moments, apart from the first try, a Walsh moment, a Mariner moment. Again, this team has the ability to generate such moments, and generally speaking they are good enough to get us wins.

So, small steps towards where we all want the club to be sometime this season.

If Renno is hurt, then let it be now, don't want this in game week 25 or something.

When i squint really hard, i'm starting to see the Cobbo-Staggs centre combo 'maybe' being one of our best ever. Early days, and no slight on Herbs intended...

But...maybe. Between them they have everything.

@Sproj. Love your pre game match ups. Would love you to do a Post Game perfirmance actual to close that loop. Will give us some more talking points for sure

Always happy to please a list request!

1. Walsh - Phenomenal, warming into the season nicely and very Lockyer-esque
2. Milne - I thought he was really good in a beaten side and this isn’t to disparage Arthars either who was also more than solid but Milne was one of their few who can hold his head high
3. Staggs - Our centres absolutely destroyed theirs and Staggs set the tone of the night early
4. Cobbo - Best on ground and while he was absolutely destructive with the ball, looked a man among boys a lot, his defense was also fantastic
5. Mariner - He toyed with Johnston, tested his pace knew it had him and so pulled out a fantastic solo try as well as using his speed and smarts to cover everything - there’s a lot of JYY in this kid - so fast, smart, elusive and knows how to sniff out a try
6. Walker - I’ll be honest, I thought both 6s were poor but Mam just did a few more silly things than Walker did but this is probably harsh because Walker wasn’t great and is starting to look old
7. Reynolds - Even on one leg, he still ran rings around Ilias and in a game where there were a number of poor performances on both sides, Ilias still managed to stand out and in fact, even if Reynolds didn’t play and no one did, no one would have been better than Ilias
8. Jensen - Quietly did his job and to great effect and he isn’t Flegs but we don’t need him to be - really good game
9. Cook - He got binned and was pretty well contained but he is helped here by the fact that sadly, Walters was awful and if not for Ilias, would have been worst on ground or at least in conversation for it
10. Haas - Shorter stints and with a longer break and concerning injured but funnily enough, seemed to be better for it, maybe there’s something in him having a longer break - even so, he’s never not getting this spot post game
11. Piakura - He was excellent and showed just how much we missed him in going off early in round 1, he beats the first tackle every time and hits hard on the other side of the ball - that left side defense looks really promising - fantastic game
12. Murray - I actually think Murray suffered from the same mistake we did with Carrigan the round before but even so, Riki was so poor, Murray kind of gets this by default
13. Carrigan - Herculean effort by the big bloke, played 75+ mins and made them count - and all after being the victim of a cheap shot at the knee - in conversation for best on ground if not for Cobbo going next level

14. Havili - He was probably Souths best player along with Milne and scored thanks to a really bad Riki tackle
15. Smoothy - I’m cheating a bit here because all in all, both benches were awful and Smoothy makes it here simply by being solid and in a game where Walters was just awful, that really helped
16. Baker - I really like what he did, shades of Palasia last year in that he turned the tide when he came on and we needed it after Taupau and Hetherington were so bad as the first benchies
17. Duncan - Look I’ll be honest, he just gets this by default as I don’t remember him but he can’t have been as bad as Hetherington, Taupau or Burgess

10-7 to the Broncs

Always happy to please a list request!

1. Walsh - Phenomenal, warming into the season nicely and very Lockyer-esque
2. Milne - I thought he was really good in a beaten side and this isn’t to disparage Arthars either who was also more than solid but Milne was one of their few who can hold his head high
3. Staggs - Our centres absolutely destroyed theirs and Staggs set the tone of the night early
4. Cobbo - Best on ground and while he was absolutely destructive with the ball, looked a man among boys a lot, his defense was also fantastic
5. Mariner - He toyed with Johnston, tested his pace knew it had him and so pulled out a fantastic solo try as well as using his speed and smarts to cover everything - there’s a lot of JYY in this kid - so fast, smart, elusive and knows how to sniff out a try
6. Walker - I’ll be honest, I thought both 6s were poor but Mam just did a few more silly things than Walker did but this is probably harsh because Walker wasn’t great and is starting to look old
7. Reynolds - Even on one leg, he still ran rings around Ilias and in a game where there were a number of poor performances on both sides, Ilias still managed to stand out and in fact, even if Reynolds didn’t play and no one did, no one would have been better than Ilias
8. Jensen - Quietly did his job and to great effect and he isn’t Flegs but we don’t need him to be - really good game
9. Cook - He got binned and was pretty well contained but he is helped here by the fact that sadly, Walters was awful and if not for Ilias, would have been worst on ground or at least in conversation for it
10. Haas - Shorter stints and with a longer break and concerning injured but funnily enough, seemed to be better for it, maybe there’s something in him having a longer break - even so, he’s never not getting this spot post game
11. Piakura - He was excellent and showed just how much we missed him in going off early in round 1, he beats the first tackle every time and hits hard on the other side of the ball - that left side defense looks really promising - fantastic game
12. Murray - I actually think Murray suffered from the same mistake we did with Carrigan the round before but even so, Riki was so poor, Murray kind of gets this by default
13. Carrigan - Herculean effort by the big bloke, played 75+ mins and made them count - and all after being the victim of a cheap shot at the knee - in conversation for best on ground if not for Cobbo going next level

14. Havili - He was probably Souths best player along with Milne and scored thanks to a really bad Riki tackle
15. Smoothy - I’m cheating a bit here because all in all, both benches were awful and Smoothy makes it here simply by being solid and in a game where Walters was just awful, that really helped
16. Baker - I really like what he did, shades of Palasia last year in that he turned the tide when he came on and we needed it after Taupau and Hetherington were so bad as the first benchies
17. Duncan - Look I’ll be honest, he just gets this by default as I don’t remember him but he can’t have been as bad as Hetherington, Taupau or Burgess

10-7 to the Broncs

I poked a little fun at your pre-game matchup, but I do have to say after last night it surely would have to be hard to put Mitchell above Walsh again. Mitchell is just such a lazy footballer, more often than not looking disinterested, even though he has the ability to turn a game on its head if he applied himself. Walsh is always energetic and enthusiastic - sometimes to his detriment - but he at the very least tries hard for eighty minutes, and even harder when we are chasing a deficit. Granted, Mitchell isn't being helped a great deal by his supporting players, and I do wonder what that Souths team might look like if they'd held onto Reynolds rather than Walker.

On that note, I would disagree with Walker over Mam. Mam at least looked threatening on a couple of occasions and pulled off some good hits in defense. I mostly just remember Walker putting it out on the full under little pressure, and not much else.

Love the JYY comparison for Mariner.

I poked a little fun at your pre-game matchup, but I do have to say after last night it surely would have to be hard to put Mitchell above Walsh again. Mitchell is just such a lazy footballer, more often than not looking disinterested, even though he has the ability to turn a game on its head if he applied himself. Walsh is always energetic and enthusiastic - sometimes to his detriment - but he at the very least tries hard for eighty minutes, and even harder when we are chasing a deficit. Granted, Mitchell isn't being helped a great deal by his supporting players, and I do wonder what that Souths team might look like if they'd held onto Reynolds rather than Walker.

On that note, I would disagree with Walker over Mam. Mam at least looked threatening on a couple of occasions and pulled off some good hits in defense. I mostly just remember Walker putting it out on the full under little pressure, and not much else.

Love the JYY comparison for Mariner.

Yeah I'll level with you, the Mitchell over Walsh thing was a little bit of trolling on my part, obviously as an unbiased Broncos supporter, I think Walsh is the best FB in the game.

And yep, I'm ok with going Mam over Walker as he did look more threatening but the reason I went Walker is that he made a lot of tackles and didn't miss any, that's pretty impressive for a half.

Baker looked way better this week imo.

Baker gets fast play the balls .
Folks might not notice that so much . But the attack that comes the next cpl of tackles will come from his quick PTB . Also offloaded once as well . He is a quiet achiever much like Jensen .
Had a late started to pre season . I expect him to keep improving yet .

I’d be dropping Kobe. Too small and is kind of disjointed in attack. Bring in Willison.
He was over the try line basically, if he held the ball, after a pass from Carrigan in the first half.. Had a lot of team mates who did similar.

The good thing is that the Broncs obviously have points in them, so will be a threat to most teams and have to improve from that display. Souths on the other hand..... could be a tough year for them.

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Johnny92
  • ivanhungryjak
  • winslow_wong
  • bert_lifts
  • DMZ
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.