Round 2 Discussion

I had valid reasons for defending them on that occasion. Actual legitimate reasons.

This time, they cannot be defended. On a Sunday afternoon, a PICTURE PERFECT afternoon in their first home game of the season, coming off a exciting win against the Rabbitohs, how they managed to only get 11,000 is just pathetic. Despite the Panthers being poor drawers, they still should have realistically got about 17,000-18,000. Nil Excuse.

Fair crack mate - I don't just defend teams because they are in NSW, I defend them when it's warranted. I was vocal about Manly's piss poor crowds at the SFS last year and I'll be critical of any other crowds like that.

Dexter - Yes, I am sure there are a few excuses for the Gold Coast. But if 11,000 is acceptable because of reason A and reason B....then the Gold Coast should pack up and leave the comp already. The Gold Coast has a good population, they've got an outstanding stadium and a team that is full of stars....11,000 in the first week is an absolute disgrace. If there were a few things going on, then fine that's an acceptable excuse sometimes. But on this occasion - No. No way. Nothing can be an acceptable excuse for that sort of crowd in round 1 after a win.

Like I've said, that's 1 week with a lot of reasons why the crowd was ridiculous, if this turns into a trend ala Roosters then I will line up behind you to give it to them.

So what did everyone take out of this round of footy?

Manly-Tigers: No signs of the premiership hangover for the Eagles so far as they account for the Tigers relatively easily in the second half. Tony Williams looks set for another big season & the halves pairing have staked their claim as the best in the league. Tigers are yet to look like the premiership favourites like most predicted. Senior players are either suffering with injuries (Galloway, Ellis, Tuqiri) or not stepping up (Farah, Blair, Lawrence). A couple of good signs from their youngsters but not enough to strike fear into any opposition. Some bizarre ref. calls in this one, all of which went Manly's way.

Broncos-Cowboys: Cows aren't as terrible as they looked in Round 1 and their big guns well and truly stepped up in the Game of the Round. Brisbane are still finding their feet and you'd think after a few adjustments will gain some momentum.

Titans-Raiders: Canberra have emerged as the surprise packet of 2012. After just losing to the reigning minor premiers they surpassed the Titans relatively easily on a ground they've yet to win before. From the looks of things, Dugan appears to be switched on and finally their pack is playing with the same attitude they did in 2010...but it's in even better shape. Winger Jack Wighton, looked fantastic on debut, some of his plays seemed well beyond his years and his technique in defence is sublime. The Titans pack is looking better but like last year they lack direction out-wide and their backs aren't good enough to compensate.

Bulldogs-Dragons: Dogs produced the best performance of the weekend, while the Dragons produced the worst so it's difficult to make a lot of this win. Dogs pack looked really strong, couple of their newer faces in Kasiano, Taupau & Graham performed nicely while Halatau looks like he's playing his best brand of footy in years. Dragons were a sh-mozzle and I think they need to shift Scott out of the centres ASAP. Merrin was a shining light off the bench, he looks to have regained his pre-Origin '11 form.

Sharks-Knights: Knights hold on despite being down to 15 on a hot Sunday afternoon against a very impotent Sharks line-up that played some very stupid football given the conditions. Not a whole lot more to take out of this other than the bizarre Junior Sau try. I can't believe we've come to this, the bloke dead-set lost it and the try looked anything but convincing. Surely common sense has to play a factor someday?

Roosters-Panthers: Gus Gould has come good on his word that the Panthers will turn up every week and keep other team's honest with an impressive 18-0 shut out of the Roosters. Considering they were missing their best prop and arguably their best back, Penrith didn't miss a beat and I thought McKendry, Kingston & Jennings in particular were impressive. Roosters looked even worse than the Sharks and appear to be every bit as bad as their 2011 counter-part.

Storm-Rabbitohs: Melbourne do enough to put away a very ordinary South Sydney line-up. Storm still look very shakey so far in 2012 and if it wasn't for their amazing 1-7-9 combination they'd be 0-2. Souths played like Souths, a couple of decent patches marred by a lack of creativity in their play and some terrible mistakes particularly from senior players like Crocker. Burgess is doing his best to carry them but even he's got a mistake or two in him.

I'm on 4, which turns out was quite respectable.

Talking points with me from the weekend:
- Junior Sau's try, wtf.
- Corey Parker's poor showing, perhaps it was his injured thumb?
- Daly Cherry Evans - what Second Year Syndrome? The kid is incredible.
- the Dragons. Ha ha ha ha.
- Luke Burt dropped. Finally. Maybe Kearney is growing a set.
- Commentator's and ref's are worse than last year. HOW?
- Sam Burgess should have signed with the Broncos when he had the chance. (He doesn't deserve to be on a losing team)

Burgess is unreal. Hits hard and can play the 80mins

I'm on 4, which turns out was quite respectable.

Talking points with me from the weekend:
- Junior Sau's try, wtf.

Yeah, wow, what a bad call that was. They have opened a can of worms if that is going to be the interpretation.
Talk about overthinking things, and the video ref should have nutted up and called it no try instead of throwing it back to refs call.

Raymond reckons it's just some strain.

It looked ugly live.

From the Eels twitter account: "For those asking Jarryds knee popped whilst running. But fingers crossed it should not be too serious"

"An update re Jarryd Hayne- he's strained the knee capsule in his strapped right knee. It's not a serious injury but he won't be back tonight"

So looks like it wont be season injury.

Only 4 from 8 in tipping. Sea Eagles, Raiders, Storm and Warriors.

Hayne getting injured makes up for my crap tipping

Ordinary tipping week but i'll settle for a 50/50 result

Broncos/Cowboys (wrong)
Sea Eagles/Tigers (right)
Titans/ Raiders (wrong
Bulldogs/Dragons (wrong)
Knights/ Sharks (right)
Roosters/ Panthers (wrong)
Storm/Rabbitohs (right)
Eels/Warriors (right)

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.