vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh: I feel ya, my head used to spin when I thought of the likes of Folau, Hayne, GI, Karmichel etc.

Foran being a year younger than DCE used to throw me a little too.

But yep, made his debut as a 17 year old in 2010 and even then, it felt like a long time in the making - he was receiving as much press up there as any other regular in the Cowboys.

A few games in 2013 were very good, not great. What's he done since?

I'm not sure how your rating scale works. Is very good better than ordinary? Since then he's been injured and/or played for 10 minute stints by "the coach that is better than Bennett". As [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] said, the majority of those times he's played in the middle, which I'll admit was at least keeping a Lowrie or Stagg out of the side, but not playing to his strengths at all. My personal preference would be to see him replace Glenn on the left edge (Parker middle, Gillett right edge). But in the meantime, the wing is great. In 2013 he outran more than a few opposition wingers, smacked a couple that clearly underestimated him, scored a couple of excellent diving tries, and being a tall bugger should have at least some advantages under the high ball.

Vidot: 12 hit up's at 142m with 1 off-load- 11 tackles and one missed.

Garbutt- 23 hit up's at 212m with 4 off-loads and 23 tackles and one missed.

Parcell- 42 tackles 0 misses, 10 hit ups and 80m.

Eden- 7 hit up's at 41m- 2 tackles and one miss.

Opacic- 12 hit up's at 93m and 12 tackles with one miss.

Oates: 19 hit ups at 135m with 19 tackles and two offloads.

I'm not sure how your rating scale works. Is very good better than ordinary? Since then he's been injured and/or played for 10 minute stints by "the coach that is better than Bennett". As @Big Pete said, the majority of those times he's played in the middle, which I'll admit was at least keeping a Lowrie or Stagg out of the side, but not playing to his strengths at all. My personal preference would be to see him replace Glenn on the left edge (Parker middle, Gillett right edge). But in the meantime, the wing is great. In 2013 he outran more than a few opposition wingers, smacked a couple that clearly underestimated him, scored a couple of excellent diving tries, and being a tall bugger should have at least some advantages under the high ball.

I thought Glenn did pretty well on Friday. I'm keen to see how he goes there on Friday and over the next few weeks assuming our halves give him some quality ball.

My personal preference is to keep Oates on the wing this year assuming he lives up to expectations as a winger which I think he will, maybe play in the centres if an opportunity arises, and in '16, assuming Hodges retires, partner Copley in the centres and then move into the back row in a few years.

In any case, and wherever he ends up, I am so glad to see him back in the starting 17.

Vidot: 12 hit up's at 142m with 1 off-load- 11 tackles and one missed.

Garbutt- 23 hit up's at 212m with 4 off-loads and 23 tackles and one missed.

Parcell- 42 tackles 0 misses, 10 hit ups and 80m.

Eden- 7 hit up's at 41m- 2 tackles and one miss.

Opacic- 12 hit up's at 93m and 12 tackles with one miss.

Oates: 19 hit ups at 135m with 19 tackles and two offloads.

great stats ... we need to get him on the bench

What about Teteh's stats?

317m!!

I don't think Garbutt was going to get picked after losing by 22 points and from all reports being very inconsistent.

great stats ... we need to get him on the bench

Hard decision to make, Garbutt's second stint is nearly always better than the first so off the bench his best work might be done in the 72 minute.

But can you afford to start a slow burner.

I thought Glenn did pretty well on Friday. I'm keen to see how he goes there on Friday and over the next few weeks assuming our halves give him some quality ball.

My personal preference is to keep Oates on the wing this year assuming he lives up to expectations as a winger which I think he will, maybe play in the centres if an opportunity arises, and in '16, assuming Hodges retires, partner Copley in the centres and then move into the back row in a few years.

In any case, and wherever he ends up, I am so glad to see him back in the starting 17.

For sure. I don't mean I want Glenn gone now at all. Not when he's improved for the first time since 2011. But bearing in mind this is a contract year for him, he'll need to really improve. Someone else said it best - "Does Bennett think we can win a premiership with him". In my opinion, Glenn isn't going to replace Parker as the dedicated workhorse, and Gillett has the edge in terms of running game. So Glenn really needs to get back that short burst of power that he used to show at the line, or develop in to a feared defender, not just in tackles vs misses (which needs to improve greatly), but in actually smacking runners a-la Tonie Carroll (again, [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION]). Otherwise I can see Oates, with his size and strength, becoming much more useful.

Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking of disembarking the Copley train. When you think about it, does he really offer much? Yes he has some speed in a slow back line but he always looks like he's going to slip over. Not much of a fend, can't tackle, no passing game and has bad hands. Oh and he's always injured.

I am thinking of disembarking the Copley train. When you think about it, does he really offer much? Yes he has some speed in a slow back line but he always looks like he's going to slip over. Not much of a fend, can't tackle, no passing game and has bad hands. Oh and he's always injured.

There is some truth in most of your points. He needs work like most of our team. Playing him out of position doesn't help.

His best position is centre and being played out of position will effect almost any player. I think he has the potential to be a good player for us but not one the best centre in the game. His season last year shows what he can do.

Am I the only one who isn't all aboard the Oates train? Ive seen nothing to suggest he'll be a top tier player. Hes played well, but you compare him to other boom youngster backrowers and he's a mile behind.
In direct answer to your direct question..there is no way to know what everyone's opinion is on Oates. Unlike you, most enthusiastic posters on Oates are supportive and have 'seen' plenty to suggest he is a worthy addition to first grade and is indeed a top tier player. It appears most are in direct opposition to your view and although being in the minority does not prove you are incorrect it does however prove that the majority can 'see' his obvious talent. EDIT: Baiting

So, no we cannot answer your question but yes, you may be the only one who 'sees' nothing to suggest Corey Oates is a fine player.

User was thread banned for this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
One positive from last weeks game was the quality of Hodges running game. He looked to be striding out really well and on the verge of creating something. Does anyone know what WBs policy is regarding strictly assigning centres to the left or right . I have never understood the logic of it. Does anyone remember the days when centres were refered to as inside or outside centres? Hodges should be allowed to roam in attack.Surely Hunt , Milford and Hodges can make something happen.

I am not on the Thaiday sucks wagon. I think he always tries hard and can be a damaging runner and tackler . My only real criticism of him is that he can get in the way sometimes and stops the ball getting to the fast men.

What has Vidot done wrong and what has Reed done right?

One positive from last weeks game was the quality of Hodges running game. He looked to be striding out really well and on the verge of creating something. Does anyone know what WBs policy is regarding strictly assigning centres to the left or right . I have never understood the logic of it. Does anyone remember the days when centres were refered to as inside or outside centres? Hodges should be allowed to roam in attack.Surely Hunt , Milford and Hodges can make something happen.

I am not on the Thaiday sucks wagon. I think he always tries hard and can be a damaging runner and tackler . My only real criticism of him is that he can get in the way sometimes and stops the ball getting to the fast men.

What has Vidot done wrong and what has Reed done right?

I agree, I reckon Hodgo has looked really fit this season - faster.

The Souths game is going to prove to be an anomaly I think - much like the Warriors trial last year in Dunedin. I think we were overdone with the travel and the nines.

There are just too many good things about this team for it to suck so badly consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• levikaden
  • Dash
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Gaz
  • Tim K
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.