Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Most people that watched the game are talking about the defensive effort, which you can only judge by watching the game. It doesn't matter how bad an attack is, if you are poor defensively they will get tries regardless. Good, structured defense can make attack look rubbish. In watching they game the amount of times they attacked the line showed some pretty decent attacks but it was constantly shut down.

As an example hunt intercepting that ball to stop the try, the attack was good and 9 times out of ten that's a try... But I guess that was probably picked up in the stats...

Showed pretty decent attack haha that will do me! Going one out to Gallen, Fifita and Graham is not pretty decent attack, it is predictable. There was a grand total of 3 line breaks in that game, not due to great defense but due to completely uninspired and uncreative attack, neither side offloaded well, neither side of halves got their hands on the ball and ran at the line, no one followed ball carriers it just looked like to very poor sides slogging it out coz they had no idea what else to do with the ball. Good sides would have let in zero against either of those sides and scored plenty because good sides actually throw something different at you like hard running backrowers on good angles, well timed offloads to trailing backs, sweeping backline moves with bodies in motion. We saw none of that last night and given the squad available and the coach we have that isn't changing.

I know its only game 2 but I've been very supportive of Bennet and I've yet to see any real change.

Last night reminded me of our form in the back half of 2012. We'd defend fantastically but in attack we'd scrap our way to the oppositions 20m and could get 10 repeats sets without ever looking like crossing. Our attacking structure looks the same as it has for 3 years now despite a completely new coaching staff and dozens of player changes.

Milford is also playing worryingly similar to Barba and I'd hate to see us appear to be the catalyst forvwasted potential.

We better see some improvement in the next few weeks or it'll be an all too familiar feeling come September.

I don't get the same feeling about 2012 personally, we were winning games early on by scoring points, but we were defensively also showing signs of what was to come in the later part of the season when the points started to dry up and we were relying on results elsewhere to get us into the finals, we crawled into the finals later in the seasons because results week to week kept us there.

As for comparisons between Barba and Milford I don't subscribe to personally, Barba's issues always ran deeper then just the claimed weight issue, mentally on and off the field I still think his showing signs that plagued him in 2013/2014, IMO Barba's biggest mistake was leaving the club when Bennett made it clear where he stood, Bennett was challenging him to step up and resolve his issues under Bennett, Hancock stayed when he was told he was unwanted, took it as a challenge, did what he could to change his game and went on to win 3 more premierships. Milford is happy on and off the field and it will take more time then merely 2 games to adjust to 5/8th and a whole new combination at a club, much better placed.

Showed pretty decent attack haha that will do me! Going one out to Gallen, Fifita and Graham is not pretty decent attack, it is predictable. There was a grand total of 3 line breaks in that game, not due to great defense but due to completely uninspired and uncreative attack, neither side offloaded well, neither side of halves got their hands on the ball and ran at the line, no one followed ball carriers it just looked like to very poor sides slogging it out coz they had no idea what else to do with the ball. Good sides would have let in zero against either of those sides and scored plenty because good sides actually throw something different at you like hard running backrowers on good angles, well timed offloads to trailing backs, sweeping backline moves with bodies in motion. We saw none of that last night and given the squad available and the coach we have that isn't changing.
So what you're saying is, we should all be as negative as you or we must be wrong? That will do me!

Also letting in no tries is not miraculous if all you are doing is making square one on one tackles that is just doing your job. Sharks barely got into space coz they were awful so the Broncos never really even had to scramble.

I'm as happy to get a win as anyone, but this wasn't a good test at all. Cronulla is awful, has the worst spine in the comp. Playing the Cows next week, that will be a real test.

So what you're saying is, we should all be as negative as you or we must be wrong? That will do me!

I am not saying anyone is wrong I just find it hard to see how some people are taking anything positive out of that game, it was awful to watch. Neither side looked capable of scoring (our two tries came off a half dropped offload and a dropped ball by Feki and their only points came from a penalty goal). I just don't see the point in getting excited about something totally uninspiring, Kahu's was good at the back defensively and McGuire, Thaiday and Parker tried hard but there was nothing on the whole to be even remotely positive about.

Also letting in no tries is not miraculous if all you are doing is making square one on one tackles that is just doing your job. Sharks barely got into space coz they were awful so the Broncos never really even had to scramble.
Are you serious we "never really even had to scramble? " We must have watched a different game because I'm going to completely disagree there.

This isn't solely directed at you, but to be honest I'm kind of getting sick of this recurring theme between negative posters
It will go like this
After a loss - We're shit, any key Bennett selections will be labelled as terrible, Bennett is a shit coach and we'll never get better under him. All our improvement can be chalked up to other circumstances, all our downfalls can be credited to him.
After a win - Opposition were awful, ANY team but them would've beat us tonight. Lucky they were worse than us or we wouldn't have won, they didn't really challenge us because they were so bad.

We didn't let them score a single try, a team that scored 3 last week. That's a positive no matter what negative spin you want to put on it. The team had great attitude in defence and showed pride in the jersey, if they didn't we might have scraped a win but the simple fact is we kept them scoreless if not for a bullshit penalty.

There's a LOT of areas we need to work on, but to say it's hard to see how anyone can take a positive out of that game is ridiculous. We didn't get beat 60-0, we WON, they didn't get a try - that's some positives.

Last edited:
I am not saying anyone is wrong I just find it hard to see how some people are taking anything positive out of that game, it was awful to watch. Neither side looked capable of scoring (our two tries came off a half dropped offload and a dropped ball by Feki and their only points came from a penalty goal). I just don't see the point in getting excited about something totally uninspiring, Kahu's was good at the back defensively and McGuire, Thaiday and Parker tried hard but there was nothing on the whole to be even remotely positive about.

You are acting like people are on here saying "awesome performance, engrave the trophy now" that's not even close to the mark. Everyone has been realistic and said there is tons of work to be done, but there are positives. One was the defense

You can slice it any way you want but at the end of the day to keep any team in the NRL scoreless is a top defensive effort. You have waxed lyrical about how shit our attack is but even we managed a try against the reigning premiers last week, so which is it?

There was plenty of negatives to do with our play but acting like there is nothing positive is just rubbish and shoots your credibility straight down

I don't get the same feeling about 2012 personally, we were winning games early on by scoring points, but we were defensively also showing signs of what was to come in the later part of the season when the points started to dry up and we were relying on results elsewhere to get us into the finals, we crawled into the finals later in the seasons because results week to week kept us there.

As for comparisons between Barba and Milford I don't subscribe to personally, Barba's issues always ran deeper then just the claimed weight issue, mentally on and off the field I still think his showing signs that plagued him in 2013/2014, IMO Barba's biggest mistake was leaving the club when Bennett made it clear where he stood, Bennett was challenging him to step up and resolve his issues under Bennett, Han**** stayed when he was told he was unwanted, took it as a challenge, did what he could to change his game and went on to win 3 more premierships. Milford is happy on and off the field and it will take more time then merely 2 games to adjust to 5/8th and a whole new combination at a club, much better placed.

On barba/hancock - they were completely different situations.

Hancock was told that he was being dropped and if he put his head down and bum up and worked hard he would be rewarded with a starting spot.

Barba was told he wasn't in the top 17, and that he should find another club because hes not getting in the top 17. It wasn't "work on x, y and z and you'll get a spot, it was "youre not getting a spot"

On barba/hancock - they were completely different situations.

Hancock was told that he was being dropped and if he put his head down and bum up and worked hard he would be rewarded with a starting spot.

Barba was told he wasn't in the top 17, and that he should find another club because hes not getting in the top 17. It wasn't "work on x, y and z and you'll get a spot, it was "youre not getting a spot"
Yeah, same thing he said to Offa in the pre-season. Shame he didn't get a game this year.

On barba/han**** - they were completely different situations.

Han**** was told that he was being dropped and if he put his head down and bum up and worked hard he would be rewarded with a starting spot.

Not really, both weren't promised a spot in first grade and Hancock was never told if he put his head down and bum up and worked hard he would be rewarded with a starting spot, even on one of the Broncos dvd's in an interview he makes it clear he was the one who approached coaching staff on what he had or could do to do to regain his spot at a time, he showed determination to regain a spot in first grade and he did so, Barba didn't and that is choice, but he has to live with it. Players who let their ego's get in the way of what they need to do to get back to where they should be rarely find what they seek.

Also Hancock, Cann and Carne were all told they could look elsewhere, not one of them were promised certainty of a spot in the 17 and only one of them had a career of note after that, certainly wasn't Carne or Cann.

Last edited:
On the basis of running stats Blair will always have a bad game for some. My opinion is he does need to carry the ball a bit more. He does pass the ball before the line and that's a fine quality to have, as a balance to our team. I still think he is earning his spot for now.

Milford just needs time to settle into his role and make the spot what he wants it to be. I have faith in his ability to do so.

Wallace came on and seemed to continue where moose left off, which is all you can ask.

The Thing is it feels like to me we are lacking true spark from our 3,2,1 and 5. Its speed, strength and x-factor that is hurting us. I know people are saying Maranta is coming a long, but right now I don't agree, yes he is safe, but he does not back himself at all. Last night and last week even when facing overlaps needing to burn rubber he decides to step back in to covering defence and kills the play. I would rather he runs 25- 30 metres score a try or get pushed over the sideline then fucking not have a dig. This is what made Tate the player he was, he would always have a go adn he scored more times then he didn't. Also it looks like Hodge has no faith in him at times choosing to hold the pill then pass it.

Oats can stay anywhere pls, his hands are perfect, runs good lines, safe at the back and just needs more ball in his hands. If he is on the wing I think he offers us almost everything but true pace, but I have yet to see him in the open.

Reed is average, and to be honest I am sick of average. Does Copley have it in him to take hold, right now I think they are both average defenders, Copley has more pace and running ability but has poor ball handling. So maybe Copley. But just to put it out there, I think Oats could be awesome as a centre. Vito and him on the left side, Copley and hodge on the right.

On Vidot, would love for him to return, either on the wing or maybe they could convert him to a full time prop.

You are acting like people are on here saying "awesome performance, engrave the trophy now" that's not even close to the mark. Everyone has been realistic and said there is tons of work to be done, but there are positives. One was the defense

You can slice it any way you want but at the end of the day to keep any team in the NRL scoreless is a top defensive effort. You have waxed lyrical about how shit our attack is but even we managed a try against the reigning premiers last week, so which is it?

There was plenty of negatives to do with our play but acting like there is nothing positive is just rubbish and shoots your credibility straight down

You don't scramble much when your opponent makes 2 line breaks and offloads 7 times all game, that is a fact. Keeping the Sharks tryless is not a top effort on what they dished up last night they were completely inept with the ball the only play they have is Gallen gets in the way and does it all himself beyond that super move they really had zero penetration.

As I said there were a few small positives but from guys like McGuire, Parker and Thaiday who you'd expect to do their jobs but beyond those few things that was atrocious.

Yeah, same thing he said to Offa in the pre-season. Shame he didn't get a game this year.

Again, that's still a very different situation. Ofahengaue was told he is very much an important part of the Broncos plans for the future. Bennett claimed at the time he would not be playing first grade this year, but he would eventually play NRL when the time was right, more specifically sometime next season.

Barba was told he wasn't in the Broncos plans, either for the immediate foreseeable future or in the Broncos long term plans. He was told to look for a new club, and until he found a new club, he could remain a Bronco.

Again, that's still a very different situation. Ofahengaue was told he is very much an important part of the Broncos plans for the future. Bennett claimed at the time he would not be playing first grade this year, but he would eventually play NRL when the time was right, more specifically sometime next season.

Barba was told he wasn't in the Broncos plans, either for the immediate foreseeable future or in the Broncos long term plans. He was told to look for a new club, and until he found a new club, he could remain a Bronco.

Plans and a players future can always change depending how a player reacts to such a situation and Hancock is proof of that, Barba is his own man and if he felt he could do better elsewhere after the news then that's his choice, but I have little doubt if Barba knuckled down, looked to really address his issues on and off he could have changed the situation for him and even if it didn't at the Broncos longterm then he is at the sharks and still facing the same problems that exist.

Last edited:
You don't scramble much when your opponent makes 2 line breaks and offloads 7 times all game, that is a fact. Keeping the Sharks tryless is not a top effort on what they dished up last night they were completely inept with the ball the only play they have is Gallen gets in the way and does it all himself beyond that super move they really had zero penetration.

As I said there were a few small positives but from guys like McGuire, Parker and Thaiday who you'd expect to do their jobs but beyond those few things that was atrocious.

If you say so

I have nothing against Blair, and in fact, he does add some stuff we were lacking in recent years, but in saying that, I still feel he is a ball playing back-rower, similar to a Glenn Stewart type player, but is playing prop. He played his best at Melbourne were he was and edge runner and ballplayer. By playing him at prop, I feel the team overall just lacks some go forward. Yes he does some good stuff with ball in hand, but our problems in the past was a lack of go forward especially against the bigger packs.

Wallace impressed me though. He had some strong carries and made some good metres. He was able to constantly break through and squeeze himself between the opposition defenders. We've seen him offload before, so if he starts offloading a bit he'll be good off the bench.

We still lack one or two big forwards. Garbutt needs to be in the team in my opinion. He is the biggest prop at the club and has some serious skill and ability. Ofa was solid in his debut, but since Bennett won't be playing him in every game, I'd like him to be at least playing against the lower ranked teams.

My take on Adam Blair;

He has done better than what I expected as I was a critic of his signing. I think he has come up with 30 + tackles in both our first 2 games which is a sign he is having a dig in defense but he has made less than 10 hit ups in our first 2 games (I think) which isn't good enough for a starting front rower. Been good defensively but needs to improve in attack.

Rating; 5.5/10 I give him a pass for his defensive efforts

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.