PRE-GAME Round 20 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodi did alright at fullback the last time he played there against the Dragons. Although, he also wasn't put under any pressure with the high ball.

He looked dangerous on the kick returns, looked like he was going to break through a few times there. But, they did run over the top of him for the match-winning try.

I hope he has plenty of support with the high balls. I imagine that will be something the Bulldogs will try to take advantage of. They tend to lift against us so if he is having a bad night, we could be in for a long night.

RONCOS coach Wayne Bennett has pulled off a selection shock on the eve of his side’s NRL clash with the Bulldogs, putting young utility Kodi Nikorima in at fullback.
Despite naming Souths Logan No. 1 Jamayne Isaako in the position on Tuesday, Bennett has revealed his future halfback Nikorima will instead take on the role against Canterbury.
Nikorima spent Wednesday’s entire captain’s run training at fullback, while Isaako was his opposition number in the reserve grade side.
Bennett said afterwards that while Isaako did nothing wrong in his debut last week against the Knights, he felt they needed to change tactics for the meeting with the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.
“Kodi will play fullback. We want him to play there,” Bennett said.
bf1549511ddcc2f95b7a01c264bfb0bf

Kodi Nikorima is likely to start at fullback for the Broncos. Picture: Peter WallisSource:News Corp Australia
“He’s played it at NRL (level) since I’ve been here. He’s very capable. He can’t bring any height but outside of that, just a bit of experience.
“(Jamayne) hasn’t done anything wrong. Jamayne did a really good job (last week). I said that after the game, I told him that as well. But it’s a different game and different circumstances.”
Nikorima trained strongly on Wednesday morning and also proved he was more than ready to handle any pressure under the high ball, catching a bomb kick with just one hand.
The super sub extended his contract with the Broncos this week for another three years, with Bennett confirming that Nikorima will be the club’s halfback next season.
Isaako is expected to still be at Suncorp on Thursday night as the side’s 18th man, but will go back to reserve grade at the weekend, with Souths Logan to meet Tweed Heads in Julia Creek on Saturday for the Intrust Super Cup’s Country Round.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/bronco...s/news-story/74311332c3bade05657889d3ff1a2ced

Yeah....well it certainly is a bit of a gamble to put Kodi at fullback but if we go on to lose this game I don't think it will be the main reason.

We should have enough points in us but we need to improve our attitude in defense. Some of the tries we have been conceding have been really soft.

Terrible idea imo. How is he supposed to contest bombs. Well - he is going to see a lot of them.

Terrible idea imo. How is he supposed to contest bombs. Well - he is going to see a lot of them.
Fullbacks rarely take contested bombs in defense compared to wingers. Height shouldn't be a massive issue.

I thought Isaako deserved another go, but Niko will be good for our attack. The dogs are hopeless with ball in hand, but somehow have good defence.

Original 21 named by the Broncos:
Capture

Disappointed we won't get another look at Isaako in first grade.

What about Marshall at fullback? Better third playmaker and has been training there. Is he fit enough? Is he good under bomb? Tyrone Roberts is shorter and was great a while back in the couple of games I saw before Hayne demanded his return.

I'm sure if Kodi doesn't work out, Marshall will be the fallout.

Of the two, Kodi is the better choice.

He'll be fine at fullback, height isn't that important as long as he can jump. If it was wing I'd be seriously concerned, but fullback is a different beast. I'm excited to see what he can do in attack with room in front of him.

I want to see kodi do at least one khunt style kick return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Tim K
  • johnyE
  • Jedhead
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • broncoscope
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Redfern_1980
  • Confidor
  • Dexter
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Santa
  • kman
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.