Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Great post. The only call that really was unfair to the cheats was the Hodges touching the ball in touch one. And they were already miles over the cap, so I feel no guilt.

That was certainly one and felt like the last gasp for Melbourne.

8:58 in the video has Berrigan's shepard with Hannant which wasn't just a blatantly bad call, but also quite costly.

The Matt King No Try at 12:07 was also pretty tough. There isn't any definitive proof to suggest Hoffman got a touch of the ball, albeit it's unlikely that a part of his wrist didn't graze the ball at any point.

There was also a blatant second effort from Staggs to send Slater into touch in the shadows of half-time. Melbourne were still in their own half and really it had no bearing on the game, but it was a bad call.

The only embarrassment I felt after that win was us lifting the trophy in those god awful all white away jerseys.

Actually I kind of like this. It's silly, but I had a vivid dream before the season started that a team in white would win the premiership. I thought that may have meant St George or maybe North Queensland in one of their strips, when Brisbane donned the jersey I saw it as a positive omen.

Last edited:
I don’t think we were lucky at all. Only the Berrigan shepherd was the only blatantly wrong call the refs made and it didn’t have a huge bearing on the end result. We defended well and controlled the second half well.

Like someone else mentioned, the 10th minute penalty that Berrigan got was incorrect as he had lost it but it still should been our penalty because Referee Smith didn’t even get remotely square at marker as he got caught out at the play the ball. So penalty decision was correct it was just awarded for the wrong indiscretion.

Only other contentious decision was the Storm no try to King at 14-8. Despite Phil Gould carrying on like a lunatic saying he would award it, he obviously didn’t see the ball clearly come off Hoffman’s forearm which is a knock on every day of the week. How Gus can sit in commentary and declare Hoffman didn’t touch it is just mind boggling.

The only embarrassment I felt after that win was us lifting the trophy in those god awful all white away jerseys. Still grinds on my gears to this day. Would it have hurt to put a bit more maroon and gold through it?

All 3 were pretty big calls in the outcome of the game.

I mean the '06 GF.
I could have sworn @Super Freak uploaded one on this very fan forum recently?

Wait - it was the ‘06 qualifier against the Bulldogs.

Sorry.

Go watch that instead, never gets old!

@Huge, who the heck would chose to smoke white ox?

All 3 were pretty big calls in the outcome of the game.

2 of them were the correct calls in my opinion and that’s rewatching it without my broncos bias.

Berrigan loses the ball but Cameron Smith was definitely not square at marker and is 100% a penalty. And that no try to King, that ball to me definitely hits Hoffman’s forearm then into Hodges which is a knock on. Only the Berrigan shepherd was blatantly missed and only ended up in a penalty goal.

Only reason in the wash up that wasn’t harped on about for weeks on end is because we won by 7 and we were in control of that game most of those last 15 minutes. If we had of won by 1 or 2 though you can bet your bottom dollar that it would still be brought up now by Storm fans.

From memory I didn’t hear that much blow back from Storm fans about the refs costing them the GF so it can’t be that bad. Mind you 2006 was a very different climate to the social media outrage we have today.

Not yet, wouldn't be surprised if NRL.com starts uploading Grand Finals to their website in the not too distant future.

I wouldn't count on that.

They have been promising to upload replays of every game going back to when the NRL formed in 98 for years. They still haven't lived up to that promise and if you look in the match replays section they no longer show the games prior to 2018 in the list, you have to do a bit of searching to find them.

They only just uploaded every Origin game and even then, they have been promising them for years. Years ago when they were promoting the Digital Pass they were promising every Origin game going back to 1980 and have only just followed through on that.

I was at the 2006 GF and me and a mate put $100 on Berro for the Clive Churchill medal. He was something like $30 iirc and so it paid for the weekend. Mind you my mate was so pissed come full time he was quite unaware we had two reasons to celebrate.

At the game I never had a sense that Melbourne were a threat we always looked in control, and with Webke leaving it was always on for the boys to send him out a winner. He could have so easily won the medal too.

I was a bit tipsy by match end and recall absolutely pissing myself laughing when the big screen flashed up Hoffman sitting on the grass crying like a 3 year old.

They've paid us back for that over the last decade, but the GF will always be ours and the tide will soon turn when we will be dominating them once more.

Can't wait to see the next set of storm forwards having a huge inconsolable bubble after full time.

Even back then he could do no wrong lol.
[automerge]1564991768[/automerge]

The GF?

Yes, the 06 GF. Also watched the 96 Crushers/Broncos game on Kayo too last night. That was some entertaining football right there.

Yes, the 06 GF. Also watched the 96 Crushers/Broncos game on Kayo too last night. That was some entertaining football right there.
Where do I find it\How do I get to it?

You subscribe to Kayo or Fox like everyone else has. Kayo might be the better option as I certainly can't access these classic games on Foxtel.

I'll be uploading it later tonight.

It's a condensed replay which is about 55 minutes so it's not the full match.

You subscribe to Kayo or Fox like everyone else has. Kayo might be the better option as I certainly can't access these classic games on Foxtel.
I have kayo. Where do I find it in there? Is there a search function?

I have kayo. Where do I find it in there? Is there a search function?

Go to Sports, Rugby League, scroll down to Related Shows and you will find a segment called Rugby League Classics (it will have Jason Taylor in the cover photo). It's in that.

Active Now

• Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.