Round 22 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I lolled when he (Gillett) got the ball in our 20, jogged at the defence and got put on his butt.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
One way Gillett (and not just him) should be used involved a sweet outside inside play with Macca giving the pass and Gillett running a perfect angle - against the Knights in Round 3.

Pity that sort of stuff has evaporated

Last edited:
Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
One way Gillett (and not just him) should be used involved a sweet outside inside play with Macca giving the pass and Gillett running a perfect angle - against the Knights in Round 3.

Pity that sort of stuff has evaporated

Yeah need Macca getting in and poking our players around into holes, needs to get out of dummy half and more into first/second receiver.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah need Macca getting in and poking our players around into holes, needs to get out of dummy half and more into first/second receiver.

Hunt was on when Macca set up that play.

As I posted elsewhere, Rd 3 v Knights showed how well this team can construct great tries

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
the thing is that we can score points and lots of them, with this team too. for some reason though, the points have dried up the last 6-8 weeks. we went from the third highest scoring team halfway through the season (from our for and against at that stage) to dare i say probably in the bottom 3 since then. we have the same halves, hooker, fullback, forward pack, backs with a few exceptions - so whats going on?

i think its just what usually happens to us, and something i thought had been reversed under griffin - we peak too early. we come out firing, race to the top of the ladder while all the other teams are just getting their plays/positions worked out, and then we cant match it with the big boys when they start "trying" at the mid-end point of the season. happened every year under bennett, even at the dragons, and i was ecstatic to see it not really happen to us last year. looks like that excitement was premature.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Another way to use Gillett is off the bench aka the only position where he's ever done any good.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This is a genuine slump. Poor attitude, worn out after Origin and injuries to key players plus some players are carrying injuries. The team will need a massive attitude adjustment to walk away from the Dogs game with any pride.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Could it be other teams just see more tape of us and know how to stop us better? Our attack might not actually be regressing, it might just be stagnant, but made to look worse because other teams defend us better and are improving their attacks as we get left behind?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yes again, but then the stagnation is where regression gets you. Our play makers lack the instincts, the vision, to create opportunities as well as start, execute (or not) quality set plays when it's seen that one will do the trick.

We lack vision and instincts especially in our "spine" which is where it should all begin

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Could it be other teams just see more tape of us and know how to stop us better? Our attack might not actually be regressing, it might just be stagnant, but made to look worse because other teams defend us better and are improving their attacks as we get left behind?

That could be the case but that wouldn't mean our intensity and commitment in defence would disappear.

Active Now

• HVbronco
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • mitch222
  • ivanhungryjak
  • thenry
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.