PRE-GAME Round 24 - Broncos vs Eels

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I really hope the club is enquiring about getting Foran on a discount contract. He’s injured a lot but the way he would structure and straighten up our attack, his added kicking game, and his composure and leadership would be the missing link this team needs. I’d trade Macca, Boyd, and Bird for Foran any day.

Absolutely. For mine, Foran is at the top of the 5/8 tree. He is exactly what we need at 5/8. He would take this side and turn it into something special

Yep I'd take him. He may not be anything special anymore but he's a better 5\8 than anyone we've got.

I don’t get all the disdain for Bird that’s springing up of late, talk about how it would be good if he left.

The bloke arrived injured, came back too early and then got injured again. Sure, on that alone, he had a pretty poor first season, but it is what it is.

He then got back to full fitness in the offseason and was playing tough, strong footy (one of the only ones at the time I might add) until he got an injury that literally any player could get at any time. Before his injury, he was one of our best and showing why he is an asset to any team.

It’s undoubtedly true that we haven’t got much actual game time out of him, but what do people expect when he’s injured. It’s not like he was kicking stones and had been dropped to reserve grade to pick up his act.

I actually froth at the idea of either: Bird and Staggs in the centres or Bird at fullback - I’m undecided. But what I do know, is add Bird to this team and we’d be scoring more points and winning more games simply because he is a footballer and a competitor.

We aren’t that far off and I genuinely believe he would play a major role in this team playing better football.

Last edited:
I don’t get all the disdain for Bird that’s springing up of late, talk about how it would be good if he left.

The bloke arrived injured, came back too early and then got injured again. Sure, on that alone, he had a pretty poor first season, but it is what it is.

He then got back to full fitness in the offseason and was playing tough, strong footy (one of the only ones at the time I might add) until he got an injury that literally any player could get at any time. Before his injury, he was one of our best and showing why he is an asset to any team.

It’s undoubtedly true that we haven’t got much actual game time out of him, but what do people expect when he’s injured. It’s not like he was kicking stones and had been dropped to reserve grade to pick up his act.

I actually froth at the idea of either: Bird and Staggs in the centres or Bird at fullback - I’m undecided. But what I do know, is add Bird to this team and we’d be scoring more points and winning more games simply because he is a footballer and a competitor.

We aren’t that far off and I genuinely believe he would play a major role in this team playing better football.

Whoo up. I’m a massive fan of Birds. But when you have Staggs killing it in his preferred position, a few up and coming centres, and a half like Foran rumoured being shopped around, all of a sudden the 900k a season Bird doesn’t seem like the wisest use of our money. Our biggest issue is in the spine, and I think that’s where that massive amount should be spent. Bird could definitely bring something to our spine but then we are still lacking in our biggest area of weakness - game control and organisation.

If we could afford Foran and keep Bird than I’m over the moon. That’s a monster team.

Whoo up. I’m a massive fan of Birds. But when you have Staggs killing it in his preferred position, a few up and coming centres, and a half like Foran rumoured being shopped around, all of a sudden the 900k a season Bird doesn’t seem like the wisest use of our money. Our biggest issue is in the spine, and I think that’s where that massive amount should be spent. Bird could definitely bring something to our spine but then we are still lacking in our biggest area of weakness - game control and organisation.

If we could afford Foran and keep Bird than I’m over the moon. That’s a monster team.
I wasn’t having a dig at you - your comment was just the catalyst, as I’ve seen quite a few comments lately mentioning offloading Bird.

FWIW, I agree with what a lot of people are saying about Foran’s ability - he has always had it, but the reality is he is liability when it comes to injury.

Foran is being, and has been for quite some time, held together with strapping tape. He is Boyd, with guts and ticker.

The difference is, Boyd is playing to preserve himself so he can keep playing, Foran has always had a blatant disregard for his own body to his own detriment. After close to a decade of doing so, he is one minor injury from either another long layoff or retirement.

Unless it was a Benji Marshall type, $100k contract, I don’t see a way the reward outweighs the risk.

To me it's the fact he's on +$700k and of all the high contracts he's a) the easiest to sell on to another club b) not overly important to the side (Staggs dominating at his preferred position... Paix, Dearden and SOS available in the halves)

Ever since he signed it's appeared he was a luxury buy.... no one has any real idea where he should play and he is costing us a large chunk of cap that could be better spent on someone else aka DAVID FIFITA.

If getting rid of Boyd or Macca was an option it wouldn't even be a discussion

Last edited:

We aren’t far off but what we’re missing is absolute paramount to a successful football team. That is a competent and consistent spine. There’s no point in having the best forward pack with out halves. No point in quick play the balls without a quick dummy half and because of all this we’re actually attacking without a fullback. Oh and an actual leader would be nice too.

If no Foran, I'd be happy to see Bird at FB with Milford at 5/8. A bit off topic of course but I think Bird would kill it at FB.

I think he will. Because of his skills as a genuine half, Seibs can put in place shapes built around our back rowers running off him, and getting the ball wider as well.

So, that's 1 of 3 problems sorted. It leaves Dariu$$$ and Macca to cripple the potential of this star studded roster. It's not just that they are sod ordinary players, and can't see any other way of doing things, it's this fact which limits what shapes and structures Seibold can develop and implement.

Their ordinariness is entrenched. Macca couldn't conceive of playing any differently to how he does, and Dariu$$$ is simply unable to grasp the meaning of what it is to be an attacking 5/8 like say, Foran and Keary.

Sigh. The team is strangled by their ordinariness both by what they offer, and the limiting consequences to the game plan.

For mine, Milf returning to 5/8 would solve some major issues and maybe, just maybe, we/would could play much more attractive and effective footie in spite of Macca.
Seibold giving seggy more minutes would help aswell.

Seibold giving seggy more minutes would help aswell.

Agreed. The thing which worries me about Seggy is why he has stopped running and instead, plays like Macca albeit a little faster shovelling the ball out. Why has he stopped taking on the line.

His running game is a real weapon. Without it, he looks fairly ordinary, like over the last few games

I see that as both curious and a real worry

Last edited:
To me it's the fact he's on +$700k and of all the high contracts he's a) the easiest to sell on to another club b) not overly important to the side (Staggs dominating at his preferred position... Paix, Dearden and SOS available in the halves)

Ever since he signed it's appeared he was a luxury buy.... no one has any real idea where he should play and he is costing us a large chunk of cap that could be better spent on someone else aka DAVID FIFITA.

Yeah exactly it's his price tag and the output we are getting from him . Imo staggs is our new bird at a fraction of the price.
And it's a no to bird at the back, moving forward it's milf or similar. With our pack we need a tedesco type player , and with turpin eventually getting the 9 we will very hard to beat.
[automerge]1566638985[/automerge]
Agreed. The thing which worries me about Seggy is why he has stopped running and instead, plays like Macca albeit a little faster shovelling the ball out. Why has he stopped taking on the line.

His running game is a real weapon. Without it, he looks fairly ordinary, like over the last few games

I see that as both curious and a real worry
Maybe something to do with his contract situation, but you're right he hasn't been his dynamic self.

Last edited:
Mathematically, we can lose this game and still make the finals - but we'll be at the mercy of the Knights and Sharks also losing.

More realistically, the next two matches are must win.

Actually the opposite.

Panthers play chooks
Sharks play raiders
Sharks and Tigers play each other last round.

25 points will be enough.

Panthers won't beat chooks, which means sharks need to beat raiders AND then lose to tigers AND have the tigers when next week, AND we only once or less, for us not to make it.

Last edited:
Making the finals on 11 wins. How dirty

If it were to happen then who on less points would you propose replace us?

I guess we could also get to 12 wins.

Sure we could be the 8th best side, but making a finals series with a losing record is not amazing

Gee, watching Cronk play at this age, I’d say if we have him on the team, Milford and the whole team would definitely benefit a lot.

Does anyone know if Bird has a contract with a player option or is it a straight up 4 year contract? Could be a 2+2 which would technically put him off contract come November. There was a few of those type of contracts handed out a few years back.

Active Now

• achievedrap
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fatboy
  • kiwibronco
  • Bish
  • Jedhead
  • Ronald
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.