Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Let's get real. No matter where Hodgo plays, he is a risk. Whether running it back, or, in the centres or 5/8, accelerating off the mark, changing direction with that massive step of his.

He is a champ, he is a leader. We need him. Trouble is, he always makes me hold my breath during a game each time he gets the ball as I think: "I hope he doesn't go down in a heap ... again" and force the team to lose its structure, such as it isn't.

For mine, under the circumstances we face, playing at the back intelligently - with support under the high ball, is no different to playing him in the centrtes.

Whatever, for mine, moving Barba from 5/8 is stupid. That is Barba's position at the Broncos. He is developing nicely there with Hunt. FB for him is not an option given the way this team plays.

And TBH, I want to see Oates in the centres. What a killer pairing: Oates and Copley, remembering just what Oates can do - last year on the wing, and this year off the bench. Imagine Hunt/Barba putting Oates through a gap out wide. Come to think of it, I'm still waiting for Copley to be put through a gap somewhere more than 20m out from the opposition's line.

If not Hodges at the back, then for mine it has to be Maranta or Kahu, and I prefer Kahu, with Hodges in the centres.

Last edited:
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Fullback requires a shit load more running than Centres, I think that's the issue.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Fullback requires a **** load more running than Centres, I think that's the issue.

I agree. The question then becomes - and I am sure it is being dealt with in "the great debate" thread: Do the Broncos keep a player like Hodgo, build a structure around him, where there is always the risk - pretty self evident over the last few seasons, where he breaks down at least twice a season?

For mine, he plays where he is put for the good of the team, or he retires.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
One poor game...? The guys has bombed more tries this year then Maranta did last year. On at least three occasions he has dropped the ball with the line wide wide open. He is in the side first of all to score tries. He doesnt do that. I dont care if he makes 20m a run. In big games like last night against good teams those errors cost you the game. Im not say that even if he had of scored (a 80yr old wheel chair bound woman would have scored) we would have won but it would have given us a excellent chance of winning. IMO that mistake directly resulted in us lossing the plot and getting belted in the end.

Why since JYY have we not produced a quality winger who scores tries and finishes well....?

Awesome post, Donald. I highlighted a terrific point you made and it's one I absolutely agree with. A winger's main priority is to score tries or at least to put the finishing touches on one.

It reminds me of the McCullough debate. The main priority of a dummy half is to provide quick service to his halves. If he is not doing that then he is playing poorly. People then say "oh but he does a tonne of defence, he steers the forwards around the park, he takes pressure of Hunt by being an extra kicking option..." It's all wallpaper for mine. Smith, Farah and Ballin are all older than him and despite their best football probably being behind them - they still get the ball to their halfback with a precision pass every set.

Another one was Peter Wallace. A halfback's main job is to set up tries and create attacking opportunities. In the final few games of his tenure we didn't have a point in us. His great defence and great organisational skills don't paper over what his main job should be.

Same thing with Vidot. Yes, he's a great metre gainer. Yes, he's awesome at taking a hit up and getting us out of trouble more often than not. That's not what his main role is though.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
Copley and Barba had 12 official miss tackles, and much more than that unofficially. Madge had players directed at them all night long.

Don't think WB didn't notice this, and for sure Bellamy will do so come round 26 if we don't adjust.

Copley to fullback is a no brainer, in my book. He just isn't cutting it defensively at centre, at present.

Gillett filling in the centres will move him out of the forwards to where he can be possibly more positive and less of a negative.

If Barba stays at 6 you need to adjust to protect him better. Same story with Hunt. Shift Barba to the wing in defence if you must. Swap him with Kahu, if you bring Kahu on the wing.

Parker. His mistake rate+miss tackle percent is off the charts (by his high standards) this past month. He needs to be doing less work in the middle, and other forwards need to start stepping up.

Placing some trust in Hannant and Kennedy to start games, would be a good start to look ahead to how we might compete in 2015. If not, with these two, then with others.

Proceed as usual.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Copley and Barba had 12 official miss tackles, and much more than that unofficially. Madge had players directed at them all night long.

Don't think WB didn't notice this, and for sure Bellamy will do so come round 26 if we don't adjust.

Copley to fullback is a no brainer, in my book. He just isn't cutting it defensively at centre, at present.

Gillett filling in the centres will move him out of the forwards to where he can be possibly more positive and less of a negative.

If Barba stays at 6 you need to adjust to protect him better. Same story with Hunt. Shift Barba to the wing in defence if you must. Swap him with Kahu, if you bring Kahu on the wing.

Parker. His mistake rate+miss tackle percent is off the charts (by his high standards) this past month. He needs to be doing less work in the middle, and other forwards need to start stepping up.

Placing some trust in Hannant and Kennedy to start games, would be a good start to look ahead to how we might compete in 2015. If not, with these two, then with others.

Proceed as usual.

Are you retarded? Copley is one of our worst players under the high ball

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012

Proceed as usual.

Wow um ok do you really want Copley diffusing towering bombs? No doubt his running game would be an asset in getting our sets off to a good start, but the bloke still has a decent case of the dropsies/fumbles. It would be a disaster.

Gillett being isolated one more out into the centres will create even more missed tackles and linebreaks all day when he rushes out at his opposing number.

How about instead moving a player in and out of position the whole game, we actually put a tackler or two around them. You can't hide a player on the wings in defence, they'll get found out eventually.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Copley will improve defensively. He dominated Steve Matai a few months back so I believe he is up to it. Just needs to gain the confidence in who he is defending with.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Copley will improve defensively. He dominated Steve Matai a few months back so I believe he is up to it. Just needs to gain the confidence in who he is defending with.

And needs to be playing the same position and side every week. That'll help.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
On the topic of Copley how do you see him as a future Origin player?

I really rate his ball running and attacking game and his strength which has made his 2014 season a very good one but I still feel his a bit of a way of playing Origin atm. His defence is still questionable and he isn't very agile. If he played this year and I can see players like Jennings burning him.

There is every chance he will and I expect him to but I feel there is still a bit of work to do before he gets to that level.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
copley can play and has state of origin written all over him. its not his fault that barba is now inside him in defence and is a massive liability. copley is a good defender and will get better with time

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
copley can play and has state of origin written all over him. its not his fault that barba is now inside him in defence and is a massive liability. copley is a good defender and will get better with time

Copleys front on defence is tremendous

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
We have to remember Copley has basically sat out 2 ENTIRE seasons before this one. He's also played half of this season on the Right Wing, then has been moved in and out of Right Centre, Left Centre and Right Wing.

He needs a permanent Centre spot to be totally effective. Once he gets a full time gig there, his lateral defence will improve ten fold.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
We have to remember Copley has basically sat out 2 ENTIRE seasons before this one. He's also played half of this season on the Right Wing, then has been moved in and out of Right Centre, Left Centre and Right Wing.

He needs a permanent Centre spot to be totally effective. Once he gets a full time gig there, his lateral defence will improve ten fold.

Yep, it's time. I don't have an issue with bringing rookies in on the wing but there comes a time where you have to shift them into their preferred position and he's currently outplaying Reed.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
That's right .... most of our backline has been shuffled around to no end !!

A bit of stability will see some of these guys perform well i'm sure.

Copley will be a gun in the centres for us.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
There's not much wrong with just moving Copley to Left Centre permanently if Hodges is fit enough to play Right Centre more often and shift Reed to the Left Wing if he must stay in the team.

BEJAZZLED

BEJAZZLED

U18 Player
Jul 25, 2014
I reckon we'll see Hodges and Barba swap with each oter throughout the match.

I'm more concerned about what side the centres play on. Reed HAS to be on the right and Copley on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Ronald
  • Brocko
  • azza.79
  • Galah
  • Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Scdeac
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • Justwin
  • Lostboy
  • Rambstien
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.