Round 24 - Broncos vs Storm - Post Match Discussion

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Just watched the press conference (on the Broncos site). Nothing hugely interesting said IMO. Would be nice to see Griffin actually get little more fired up sometimes.

He does say that McGuire will definitely be playing next week.

I'd rather have a good coach who keeps his cool and doesn't give the media any reason to think there are any issues. I don't want a retard coach like Bellamy, Hasler or Toovey.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
What happened to our line speed in the second half?

Also what was with hanging off smith around the ruck? I'd like to know how many meters he ran seemed like he was making 15m a dart

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What happened to our line speed in the second half?

Also what was with hanging off smith around the ruck? I'd like to know how many meters he ran seemed like he was making 15m a dart

He only ran 87m's but I did seem like a lot more.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Defense also seemed to fail at crucial times, eg Quinn's (:loool:) unforgivable break from inside his 10 with 5000 Broncos around him. Put them on the attack when we should have been pressuring them instead.

We were deadset running uphill for most of the second half and I can't work out why. Yeah we had our reserves on the field but are they fit enough for first grade or not? Maybe I can get a run next week.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Half the team is carrying an injury. That would have to be affecting fitness. It doesn't bode well though. We look unfit.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
We didn't lapse - did Melbourne lapse in the opening 25? Everyone is frothing over the way we started the game, why not give credit to Melbourne for playing some good footie in the second half? Smith was tearing us a new one around the ruck.

I'm really impressed with the composure we showed (which has seriously been lacking and a massive reason for our slump) in getting to the end of our sets and waiting for the tide to turn. We were eventually rewarded with the T'eo try.

It was a cracking performance.

well said

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
to be honest, from where i was sitting at the game - didnt have the best view of the big screen - i thought the waqa try was a try by the rules. in no way should it actually be a try, but by the rules it looked to me like he lost the ball into his chest/stomach area and grounded it with that, which is deemed a try. ridiculous, but by the rules.

great first half by us, but we came out for the second half like the players had run a marathon in the break. was terrible watching all our forwards bent over on their haunches 2 minutes into the second half. the interchange rotation is not working at all either. why take parker off for 6-7 minutes? cant remember who it was that replaced him, maybe capewell, but it was ridiculous. why did lui and dodds both come on at the same time and then proceed to do very little? deadset, griffin needs to throw his interchange plans out the window and start from scratch.

hodges was very good, norman was good, hunt again showed he needs to be a permanent half, and teo is just making it harder and harder to accept that we chose him over gillett. i always said he shouldve been right up top of our retaining plans and wasnt happy when we let him go. its dave taylor all over again. shouldve let thaiday/gillett go before teo.

damn you cronk.

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
Pretty sure the rules say you have to maintain control to, if the ball was rolling around on the ground and he belly flopped on it then fair enough, but he lost control of the ball, there was separation and you can't regain control again with your stomach (I've seen some good six packs in my time but none that good).

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I find it amusing that the majority of people on here bag coaches like Hasler and Bellamy for whinging about the ref, yet the general sentiment of these post match threads when the broncos lose is to blame the ref, and now people are even calling for Griffin to start whinging about the refs.

The refs didn't lose the Broncos the game tonight (nor did they last week) Sure, the try just before half time probably shouldn't have been awarded, but the Broncos still took a 6 point lead in to the break, and other than that decision, I thought the refs had a decent game. The past 2 second half efforts by the team have been fairly dismal, but I guess it's just easier to look to blame others, rather than accept that there is obviously a deeper issue. There will always be dodgy decisions by the refs in a game. If a team can't bounce back from such decisions, then they don't have the character to succeed in this competition anyway.
I believe Hasler, Bellyache and the likes are blights on the game. But since all that the NRL does is slap them with a $10K fine, it's worth it for them to influence the refs mentality when they ref their clubs.
If you also believe that if Griffin had a whinge last weekend about the penalty leading up to the first Dogs try, wouldn't possibly affect last night's refereeing, you're deluded I'm sorry to say...

Don't forget we lost by 1 point, and besides having a try validated against us that is not even close to a 50/50 call, we had 2 very important calls go against us, when the Storm played at the ball and the tackle count should have been restarted, but instead the Storm got the ball back in an advantageous position, got a repeat set and scored their last try. Then there's the Hunt dropped ball, which was apparently tapped forward by a Storm player, but ruled play on. We all know how that ended...
I can accept the last two, as like Griffin said, those are the ones that go against you, and it probably evens out as the season goes, but I can't accept the video ref decision, and I truly believe if Griffin had that whinge last week, it might just have pushed Simpkins towards the red button, and the other 50/50's may just have gone our way instead!

Having said that, I'd rather see Griffin or any other Bronco never have to complain about the refs, because:
1- The refs quality improves a lot.
2- The NRL clamps down on any attempt to put pressure on the refs, by dealing out serious punishment, from suspending the offender up to and including, loss of points for the club they represent.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
If this "coach complains to the refs / gets refs in favor" theory actually exists, then Harrigon as the coaches boss has to go. The whole referees association has to have the broom run through it.

It's completely unacceptable

....if true.

..off topic: I guess the wiki bosses don't like Harrigan either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Harrigan#Post-retirement

After retiring from rugby league refereeing, Harrigan was a referee in Gladiators. In 2012 Harrigan decided he was in fact bigger than the game and instructed referees that it was their decions and not players that should decide NRL games. He helped QLD win state of origin and the Bulldogs to the minor premiership by approving obstructions and knock on rulings by his referees and upon seeing an optometrist he was declared legally blind and also a tosser.

wtf?? :laugh:

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty good effort last night.We definitely deserved better. A definite improvement on last week but gees that first 20 mins of the second half was ordinary. We were flat as a tac. The video referee was shit but what else is new?

We may have lost 5 in a row but I feel better now than I did after the Canberra loss. Am confident we'll play well against Manly - just hope it's enough to win.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Like most here i'm happy with the improved performances the last two games , but we really need to stop the silly mistakes.

Manly will be tough, but i'm not giving up hope.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Honestly, the reffing has been terrible this year... They have had a bad year - no denying that.

They need to re-look the obstruction rule in the off season IMO... I think we have to go back to: if you run the second man decoy play, you HAVE to pass out the back or behind the decoy... you CANNOT run behind the decoy or past the decoy runner (from behind)... so you either pass or run in the other direction... I say you are also allowed to just drop once you realise you've over ran the play and it is going to be a shepherd.

The torso grounding - shocking rule... don't understand it. Get rid of it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
If this "coach complains to the refs / gets refs in favor" theory actually exists, then Harrigon as the coaches boss has to go. The whole referees association has to have the broom run through it.
It's not a theory, it's a fact. There's been tons of studies done about it in soccer, where a whole psychological war is fought before the game even starts, especially if it's a big occasion.
Not saying that the refs do that on purpose, but once the seed is planted, it keeps nagging at them, because they are too afraid of making a mistake and being crucified in the press. So they avoid upsetting the "whinger"...
There's not much Harrigan can do about it either, as it'sonly a natural and subconscious reaction. It's the NRL or IC that needs to do something about it!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty sure the rules say you have to maintain control to, if the ball was rolling around on the ground and he belly flopped on it then fair enough, but he lost control of the ball, there was separation and you can't regain control again with your stomach (I've seen some good six packs in my time but none that good).

that's what the rulebook says.
What the guidelines say at NRL level is different.

I hate that.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
The only proof Simkins needed (apart from actually seeing the ****ing thing being dropped) was the look on Waqa's face as he stood up to face his team. Then, again, after it was awarded.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • Ozired
  • Culhwch
  • mitch222
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Painin the Haas
  • RolledOates
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.