Round 24 Discussion

You're suggesting Souths are one Samburger short of a happy meal?

A couple more pieces of info from Triple M (not Dobbo). Storm are in the race for J Nikorima, as well as Mbye (is that how it's spelt? I'm on my phone). That Moses was not happy with Canterbury's upgrade offer. Now tonight on the coverage Rabs says he was offered $500k/yr, but his manager is looking at $800k. Fucking what? He's doing well, for sure, but everything comes off the Dog's pack, he's worth half that at most IMO.

*checks schedule* No international tests. Ok, just rule him out now. As long as we don't have to see Dugan in the number 1 for Australia, I don't care.

Feeling a lot more confident about our game against them next week now. They're ripe for the picking.

South Sydney had no response to the Bulldogs aggressive style of play. It was clear from the opening whistle this was a statement game for the Bulldogs and their physicality especially in defence was a sight to behold.

At 18-0...the pendulum had finally swung South Sydney's way but they looked completely clueless in attack. Souths clearly missed Issac Luke's contributions around the ruck, particularly his ability to create space for his bigger men. They also missed the tenacity of Luke Keary and his ability to breathe life into the South Sydney attack. That brings me to...

John Sutton...is it too late to offer him to a Super League club? The premiership winning captain looks lost this season and it's difficult to find a place for him in the side. If South Sydney want to go back to back, omitting Sutton in favour of young fire-brand Chris Grevsmuhl maybe their ticket.

Adam Reynolds...is not in a similar boat as Sutton, but his performance tonight confused me. South Sydney were camped inside the Bulldogs line for a number of sets, yet constantly went down Sutton's side of the field. Considering Sutton is a fill-in option, it would have made sense to go right, especially when Dylan Walker had threatened to score on a number of occasions. If Reynolds is ever going to challenge for the Blues #7, he's got to accept more responsibility. Otherwise, he's simply nothing more than another Jamie Soward.

Dogs of War...are tough to beat when they're on song. There was plenty to like about their performance tonight. Their attitude was spot on and willingness to advance the ball made them very difficult to contain. However, what stood out to me was their tendency to fade out of the contest. If Damien Cook is as good as the commentators suggest he is, then why hasn't Des given him a game this season? You can't tell me Lichaa is an 80 minute player, at least not yet and I believe Cook's true colours will shine through in due time.

Inglis injured...will he be back next week? He had a difficult time running on it and with a six day turn-around, he won't have the best recovery window. We saw Cherry-Evans taken off the field in similar fashion only to return a week later so Souths fans would be crossing their fingers. If Inglis is injured, it would be a huge blow to their Top 4 chances. Gray can certainly do a job on the wing, but Johnston's form at the back has been less than convincing. Perhaps Maguire should consider Dylan Walker for the role?

Would be fantastic if Inglis missed our clash and they played Alex Hoffman there.

Bulldogs all over Souffs in the 1st half. The hooker they've brought in to replace Lichaa is looking good out there. Good service and full of enthusiasm.

And no forward passes.

Would be fantastic if Inglis missed our clash and they played Alex Hoffman there.

Inglis looked ordinary tonight and then he got injured. He only seems to fire against us.

Last edited:
Rugby League is so fickle you would think Souths had rediscovered their mojo last week but they were truly given a lesson tonight. The Bulldogs just bullied them and hustled them into error and never gave them a sniff at all. Couldn't help but LOL at Sam Kasiano being MOM, Graham was easily the best on the field. Feeling a bit better about next Thursday night as Inglis might be out and they are still missing Luke and Keary.

*checks schedule* No international tests. Ok, just rule him out now. As long as we don't have to see Dugan in the number 1 for Australia, I don't care.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dugan becomes the Australian fullback after Slater retires.

Maybe if Inglis is injured, or when Inglis retires but he'll be the first cab off the rank.

Game III 2015 proves why.

Keary & Luke are available for Round 25 by the by.

What do you like about it Unbreakable?

Ah, didn't see this, you should quote / tag me if you want a reply :p

I'm not sure what I like about the team honestly, I've always had a soft spot for the Dragons since I was kid and Mundine & Blacklock were my favourite players to watch. They're well balanced, I rate every player in their spine, have a big wrap on Widdop. They have 2 young, high potential centres in Mann & Aitken, their back rowers are both great, their bench is strong. Only glaring weak point I can see in their team is the front rowers. But if they can defend like they did in the early rounds this season, they'll be tough to beat.

It wasn't that urgent. :001_tt2:

For the Dragons to be successful in 2016, Widdop, Marshall & Dugan are going to have to develop their combination. Judging from the way they've played this season, it seems as if they over-complicate things and ruin opportunities by going through too many sets of hands or committing too many players into decoy runners.

It's going to be a tough ask for them. There have been a number of times this season where it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Marshall wants Widdop to run a gap, while Widdop wants the ball for the next play. It's a common symptom of playing two similar players next to one another, and usually it ends in tears.

The other concern with St George is their inability to score points. It seems like the bulk of their squad is made up of players who can make good yardage, but struggle to cross the white stripe. Out of all the players you've named in the backs, Peter Mata'utia is the most potent player with 8 tries from 18 games. The likes of Dugan (6 from 18), Aitken (4 from 19), Mann (1 from 15) and Nightingale (4 from 15) haven't really posed much of a threat. If the Dragons are going to be successful, they're going to need these players at the top of their respective game.

Upfront the Dragons boast a reliable pack. Their backrow formation of Thompson, Frizell & Cooper are strong both on and off the ball. With Ah Mau, Creagh and de Belin in support, they can hold their own against a lot of packs. The problem is the lack of depth at the club. It remains to be seen what type of impact Packer, Masoe, Page, Ioane etc will have and their stable of NYC players are still very green. Down the line, you may see the likes of Jacob Host, Luciano Leilua, Hame Sele & Blake Lawrie receive their shot, but I doubt they'll make an impact in 2016.

Obviously a lot can happen in the year, and the Dragons could be one of the better sides of 2016. However on the basis of everything, they look like a team in transition and it will take Peter Mulholland (former Dogs and Knights recruitment manager) sometime to bring in the talent McGregor needs to be successful.

The Tigers are completely sucking today they are giving away to many penalties, missing tackles and making unforced errors. Their completion rate is below 50%. Cronulla are playing very well to their credit though especially Gordon and Lewis.

Yep Granville has really been dodgy lately, possibly struggling with his first full year of NRL.

Anyone else think the Tamou was injured from a shoulder charge? It wasn't direct contact but the force of the hit, even though Mannerings arm was sandwiched in between, certainly did the damage.

Yep, Cowboys are definitely not more likely to win a premiership than us.

It's between us and roosters.

Active Now

• Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lurker
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • Manifesto
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Lozza
  • Cavalo
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Redux
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.