Round 24 Discussion

It's funny reading the handfull of comments in here around Bellamy and his anger issues and how reacts to the storm being below their best.

For a few years now I've wondered how he and in turn the players will cope with the storms inevitable down turn if he is still at the helm.

When Melbourne become just another team who go through the season losing games they should win, getting 40 put on them, finishing out of the 8, how will the bloke react then?

How long will players cop been absolutley sprayed by bellamy until he's blue week in week out. Especially their next generation of players if they just don't have the skill of the existing squad what's he going to do?
Can't you see mate? Storm will never have an "inevitable downturn". it does not suit the NRL's push into Victoria and their ability to ask for top dollar from the broadcasting networks. If Storm were to become mediocre then the little interest they hold over Victoria would vanish overnight and with it a key bargaining chip of the NRL.

Hence Melbourne can field a team with 2 - 3 elite players, 5 -7 bog standard players and another half a dozen ordinary players who do nothin flash but can retain the ball and complete the majority of their tackles. The referees/bunker and a very liberal interpretation of the rules will ensure they are always in the running come September.

Some people have been confounded when they claimed "oh wait until they have to play without Inglis" and nothin happened. Then they said "wait until they have to play without Slater" and nothin happened. Then they said "wait until they have to play without Cronk" nothin happened. Finally, when Smith left they grew louder and said " they will now be totally stuffed without the GOAT" but again nothin happened because it's not the individuals in the team that keep them competitive it's NRL directives.

Some on here say "oh wait until such and such a player is put through the Storm system they'll improve immeasurably" well I tend to think you put any player in a Storm team that is given such leeway by the officials and they will all tend to improve their overall performance. The success and winning week in week out alone does wonders for a player's confidence and allows them to take further risks in their game.

I personally don't think the Storm 'system' is all it is cracked up to be by some on here. Sure they're defence is great as they spend hours on end in a Melbourne Dojo learning how to cynically attack a player and leave them momentarily inoperative and at times physically broken. The chicken wing, the crusher, the leg splits etc. they all came from the Storm ask Alex McKinnon. They're a blight on the game and the rest of the comp has suffered because the NRL wants to keep them successful.

Ask yourself if Bellyache was really such a great coach(they are now saying in the media perhaps the best ever) why was he not able to transfer that greatness into origin when he had access to the best of the best? In origin "his" team were not given as much leeway as his regular NRL side got and he was hamstrung without that huge leg up.

I never bothered watching our game last night as I knew it would be more frustrating than entertaining. After the debacle with Rorters it was plainly obvious that we were on a hiding to nothing and would be made the scapegoat yet again.

The fact I even contemplated missing a Broncos game has sent my own alarm bells off.

This whole game has become a sad shell of what it used to be. When the Sydney-centric hierarchy purposefully plan to weaken one of their franchised teams to try and ensure the success of a newly entering team to try and boost negotiations with broadcasters we have reached a point of no return. At least for me anyway. The game that I loved, that I thought more important than most of the other things in my life has now become a mere afterthought and on many occasions the brunt of derision in my conversations with friends and family.

That ill-thought out idea of dinosaur junior Pearce through the week was cringe-worthy and reflects exactly where the game is at. Although Robinson is guilty of crying wolf far too often when his team loses, his press conference on Friday night had a lot of truth in it. The game is stuffed and the officiating is totally stuffed as the referees no longer recognise what consistency means let alone what it looks like. The only consistency you will see is the Storm getting favourable calls.

Can't you see mate? Storm will never have an "inevitable downturn". it does not suit the NRL's push into Victoria and their ability to ask for top dollar from the broadcasting networks. If Storm were to become mediocre then the little interest they hold over Victoria would vanish overnight and with it a key bargaining chip of the NRL.

Hence Melbourne can field a team with 2 - 3 elite players, 5 -7 bog standard players and another half a dozen ordinary players who do nothin flash but can retain the ball and complete the majority of their tackles. The referees/bunker and a very liberal interpretation of the rules will ensure they are always in the running come September.

Some people have been confounded when they claimed "oh wait until they have to play without Inglis" and nothin happened. Then they said "wait until they have to play without Slater" and nothin happened. Then they said "wait until they have to play without Cronk" nothin happened. Finally, when Smith left they grew louder and said " they will now be totally stuffed without the GOAT" but again nothin happened because it's not the individuals in the team that keep them competitive it's NRL directives.

Some on here say "oh wait until such and such a player is put through the Storm system they'll improve immeasurably" well I tend to think you put any player in a Storm team that is given such leeway by the officials and they will all tend to improve their overall performance. The success and winning week in week out alone does wonders for a player's confidence and allows them to take further risks in their game.

I personally don't think the Storm 'system' is all it is cracked up to be by some on here. Sure they're defence is great as they spend hours on end in a Melbourne Dojo learning how to cynically attack a player and leave them momentarily inoperative and at times physically broken. The chicken wing, the crusher, the leg splits etc. they all came from the Storm ask Alex McKinnon. They're a blight on the game and the rest of the comp has suffered because the NRL wants to keep them successful.

Ask yourself if Bellyache was really such a great coach(they are now saying in the media perhaps the best ever) why was he not able to transfer that greatness into origin when he had access to the best of the best? In origin "his" team were not given as much leeway as his regular NRL side got and he was hamstrung without that huge leg up.

I never bothered watching our game last night as I knew it would be more frustrating than entertaining. After the debacle with Rorters it was plainly obvious that we were on a hiding to nothing and would be made the scapegoat yet again.

The fact I even contemplated missing a Broncos game has sent my own alarm bells off.

This whole game has become a sad shell of what it used to be. When the Sydney-centric hierarchy purposefully plan to weaken one of their franchised teams to try and ensure the success of a newly entering team to try and boost negotiations with broadcasters we have reached a point of no return. At least for me anyway. The game that I loved, that I thought more important than most of the other things in my life has now become a mere afterthought and on many occasions the brunt of derision in my conversations with friends and family.

That ill-thought out idea of dinosaur junior Pearce through the week was cringe-worthy and reflects exactly where the game is at. Although Robinson is guilty of crying wolf far too often when his team loses, his press conference on Friday night had a lot of truth in it. The game is stuffed and the officiating is totally stuffed as the referees no longer recognise what consistency means let alone what it looks like. The only consistency you will see is the Storm getting favourable calls.
As much as i genuinely like to believe the NRL is 100% above board and nothing sus goes on. I will agree that it is suspect that regardless of the circumstances facing the storm, once in a generation players leaving, horror injury tolls, rule changes, half a team missing because of rep duty yet they continue to dominate.

Include in that the notion of "Bellamy" turning any player who pulls on a storm jersy into a super star then the second they leave that player goes back to looking like he belongs in the super league. Can a coach and system really be that good? No team has ever recovered from losing a generational player like that. Look at the cows with JT, Brisbane with Lockyer.

I would give anything to see Bellamy leave Melbourne and go to a bottom 8 team for 3 seasons and see what results he can produce.

It definitely makes for an interesting discussion.

As much as i genuinely like to believe the NRL is 100% above board and nothing sus goes on. I will agree that it is suspect that regardless of the circumstances facing the storm, once in a generation players leaving, horror injury tolls, rule changes, half a team missing because of rep duty yet they continue to dominate.

Include in that the notion of "Bellamy" turning any player who pulls on a storm jersy into a super star then the second they leave that player goes back to looking like he belongs in the super league. Can a coach and system really be that good? No team has ever recovered from losing a generational player like that. Look at the cows with JT, Brisbane with Lockyer.

I would give anything to see Bellamy leave Melbourne and go to a bottom 8 team for 3 seasons and see what results he can produce.

It definitely makes for an interesting discussion.
Yeh the point you make about the player going back to his mediocre best the minute he leaves the Storm is fairly obvious too.

I think there's some truth in this, but also - look at the (lack of) consistency in the coach/coaching staff across the game. Which are the teams with long-term coaches, and how are their teams going? Look back through the years, the teams with settled, long term coaches usually are around the top. I don't believe that's a coincidence, and that's where the 'systems' etc come into play.

Our team have had three totally different 'systems' over the past 4 years. It would be the same with any team swapping and changing their coach/coaching staff. IMO the less turnover you have in that area the more competitive you're likely to be because the team is in a routine. In training and on game day. The importance of that can't be stressed enough IMO.

bunker seems to be in a perpetual state of crisis following that Turbo try decision

James Fisher-Harris is still available for the Panthers? Wasn't he supposed to be in Sydney for family reasons? That was the excuse to justify the TPJ signing after all.

James Fisher-Harris is still available for the Panthers? Wasn't he supposed to be in Sydney for family reasons? That was the excuse to justify the TPJ signing after all.

He’s finished his return quarantine

He’s finished his return quarantine

Guess that shows how much I was paying attention. It seemed like be was going to be out for the rest of the season.

That Turbo try call against the Dogs gave me serious Broncos vibes. How long are you seriously allowed before grounding the ball. Furthermore, when the ball is lost in the in goal area, why is that time less? Also, if Slater can do a dropkick grubber to score and Jamie Lyon can score with his Torso, why can't Herbie score with his knob?

That Turbo try call against the Dogs gave me serious Broncos vibes. How long are you seriously allowed before grounding the ball. Furthermore, when the ball is lost in the in goal area, why is that time less? Also, if Slater can do a dropkick grubber to score and Jamie Lyon can score with his Torso, why can't Herbie score with his knob?

On the latter, it could be reasoned that Lyon is one giant knob anyway, therefore they are both the exact same scenaro.

colour me shocked ... the NRL have actually come down on the Roosters for a range of things relating to abuse of the match officials.

the Roosters fines are as follows:
  • $10k for alleged abuse of a match official DURING the match
  • $20k for the comments made by Robinson after the match
  • the suspended $10k fine from May has also been activated.

the Roosters have 5 days to respond to the breach notice

colour me shocked ... the NRL have actually come down on the Roosters for a range of things relating to abuse of the match officials.

the Roosters fines are as follows:
  • $10k for alleged abuse of a match official DURING the match
  • $20k for the comments made by Robinson after the match
  • the suspended $10k fine from May has also been activated.

the Roosters have 5 days to respond to the breach notice
Uncle Nick will pay that from the loose change down the back of his couch.

If you can find it amongst Annersley whinging about people talking negatively about refs ... give yourself some amusement and listen to him try and spin the Turbo try into a correct decision :rofl

Active Now

• Midean
  • Battler
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Organix
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • westy316
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • jarro65
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Dash
  • Lozza
  • Fozz
  • Bronx48
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.