POST GAME [Round 25, 2021] Broncos vs Knights

There are a few things that stand out for Cobbs and they are that he seems really fit, he was the first one down on a kick chase from the first to last minute. He’s obviously very fast but he is also really calm. He is strong and agile but the best thing of it all, the kid does the basics really, really well. He reads attack well all the time and often shuts down potential problem situations, he scrambles well and he hits hard. He is our most exciting pure back probably since JYY. Coates obviously is up there but he has always had deficiencies and Staggs kind of fell into it from being an impressive jack of all trades but Selwyn is truly a special looking player. As mentioned in the game thread, if he stays at centre he’ll be playing for Qld next year.

One time I saw him run from dummy half and try and step the marker and I had a Justin Hodges flash back !
He is a way better ball carrier than Coates . And may even be able to catch some of the bombs he jumps for lol .
He`s gonna be a real good player young Selwyn . Shut Bradman Best down yesterday . Defence is #1 for a centre IMO, plenty of fast runners who can score tries out there . But centres who can read play and shut down the opposition are rare .

One time I saw him run from dummy half and try and step the marker and I had a Justin Hodges flash back !
He is a way better ball carrier than Coates . And may even be able to catch some of the bombs he jumps for lol .
He`s gonna be a real good player young Selwyn . Shut Bradman Best down yesterday . Defence is #1 for a centre IMO, plenty of fast runners who can score tries out there . But centres who can read play and shut down the opposition are rare .
Kev gave him big wraps on the job he did on Best yesterday and rightly so, some of the tackles he made against the Knights were sublime and it's good to see he has potential defensively just like he does in attack, the makings of a well balanced player. I'm glad for his sake since making his debut he hasn't had to endure being the next so and so, can just focus on developing and with an offseason to do so I'm really looking forward to next season for him.

We would do that too if he was staying. Only way he would make the side.

As if he hasn`t already been coached to catch a ball ...
There`s this team outa Brisbane called the Lions ? I heard they taught Anthony Milford to kick ?

Xavier has poor eye hand co ordination when he jumps . Very hard to learn to get better at especially if you are already an adult .

Kev gave him big wraps on the job he did on Best yesterday and rightly so, some of the tackles he made against the Knights were sublime and it's good to see he has potential defensively just like he does in attack, the makings of a well balanced player. I'm glad for his sake since making his debut he hasn't had to endure being the next so and so, can just focus on developing and with an offseason to do so I'm really looking forward to next season for him.

Hasn't he constantly been referred to as the next Latrell Mitchell (obviously not in the same stratosphere as the next Locky, Joey, Alf etc, but still... )

due to everything from his appearance to the way he plays

Hasn't he constantly been referred to as the next Latrell Mitchell (obviously not in the same stratosphere as the next Locky, Joey, Alf etc, but still... )

due to everything from his appearance to the way he plays
Can't recall that he has but maybe your right? In any case I think at the very least it hasn't been as vocal as others during the last few years.

The try where Oates stepped inside to score came from a Herbie pass, he wasn't cut out.
Yeah it was Herbie literally doing the thing that he’s being criticised for never doing.
I've only rewatched the first half. Here are a few moments that caught my eye. Bear in mind I did give Herbie one of my votes this week, so I'm not saying he had a "bad" game. All told, he was one of our stars. But he could've been a whole lot better. Latrell wouldn't have made these errors.

Referring to the time on the video, not the game clock.

22+: Oates has the overlap, Herbie flubs it. Actually Niu should've cut Herbie out.
36.45: Oates has overlap. Niu should've cut Herbie out.
36.55: Herbie surrenders rather than pass to Oates
46.55: Oates has open space. Herbie hangs onto it and instead kicks. Almost a try. But wrong option.
51.40: Again a cut out from Niu would've put Corey away. Herbie's step puts Corey offside. Goes to ground.
52: Less said about this the better.

My point is Niu, Coates and Farnworth are not working together. Communication is lacking. You could point the finger at any of them, but I tend not to blame Corey so much because he's been doing this shit a long time. Get this right and it's the difference between the narrow losses we've been having and some sizable wins. If we got those sizeable wins, we might be in the eight.

There are a few things that stand out for Cobbs and they are that he seems really fit, he was the first one down on a kick chase from the first to last minute. He’s obviously very fast but he is also really calm. He is strong and agile but the best thing of it all, the kid does the basics really, really well. He reads attack well all the time and often shuts down potential problem situations, he scrambles well and he hits hard. He is our most exciting pure back probably since JYY. Coates obviously is up there but he has always had deficiencies and Staggs kind of fell into it from being an impressive jack of all trades but Selwyn is truly a special looking player. As mentioned in the game thread, if he stays at centre he’ll be playing for Qld next year.
Scary thing is he hasn't even had a NRL Pre season yet..
Good comparison with Yow Yeh we haven't had a player like this since Jharal with Staggs being a exception but Staggs is a different type of player.
Cobbo could be our Black Pearl 2.0

I've only rewatched the first half. Here are a few moments that caught my eye. Bear in mind I did give Herbie one of my votes this week, so I'm not saying he had a "bad" game. All told, he was one of our stars. But he could've been a whole lot better. Latrell wouldn't have made these errors.

Referring to the time on the video, not the game clock.

22+: Oates has the overlap, Herbie flubs it. Actually Niu should've cut Herbie out.
36.45: Oates has overlap. Niu should've cut Herbie out.
36.55: Herbie surrenders rather than pass to Oates
46.55: Oates has open space. Herbie hangs onto it and instead kicks. Almost a try. But wrong option.
51.40: Again a cut out from Niu would've put Corey away. Herbie's step puts Corey offside. Goes to ground.
52: Less said about this the better.

My point is Niu, Coates and Farnworth are not working together. Communication is lacking. You could point the finger at any of them, but I tend not to blame Corey so much because he's been doing this shit a long time. Get this right and it's the difference between the narrow losses we've been having and some sizable wins. If we got those sizeable wins, we might be in the eight.

Yeah there is definitely something goi wrong on the left. I think you are more on the money now, saying that poor decisions are being made by all 3.

In the 52 minute example you gave, Niu needed to cut out or pass to Herbie sooner. Herbie could’ve passed sooner though Corey was about 1.5m from the sideline and the winger had committed to defending Corey. I’d say Herbie did the right thing by going conservative however the fact it was the last tackle means he probably should’ve just handed it off to Oates and hope for the best. Corey may have stepped back in and cut between the defenders or he may have been bundled into touch. Hard to say. Herbie should’ve passed but it isn’t as straight forward as you’re saying.

Here are screen shots to help demonstrate your point because I’m all for being wrong if that’s what evidence says.

The moment Niu passes:
52A9753E 5B17 464D B7FF 8B2FAE0F03BE

the moment Herbie catches:
668F15ED C460 439D 837F 61998704C273

The moment Herbie steps in:

F3A49D1C 189A 405E B093 3D5328864CFA

Corey definitely may have been able to split the defenders if he cuts inside but to me it looks like both the centre and winger are sliding across and Oates would’ve been contained quite easily.

Attachments

• D6232ECF-B97C-4BDE-909E-3E88880876CA.jpeg
    D6232ECF-B97C-4BDE-909E-3E88880876CA.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 69

Saw his youtube ISC highlights before his debut and had no doubt instantly that he would do the same in first grade but just not so soon after a handful of games. For a teen, his anticipation is at an elite level.

Don't wanna jinx the kid but if he is toying with opposition backs and scoring tries at will in the opening 6-8 rounds next year, he will be in the QLD starting team.

The Fullback has to be comfortable with cut out passes, Niu does it decently well on the right but on the left he rarely goes for it and it shows in how weak it makes our left. if he just passes it to Herbie and the winger and himself have a defender on them what is he supposed to do outside of just kicking it and hoping for the best or try and see if he can break a tackle, alot of the time he shouldn't be in that position.

The thing that makes our left soo weak is there is the lack of cut out passes, even if it's earlier from the first receiver to a back rower for example it's just 1 by 1 passes so by the time the outside backs get it there is no space. Most times Herbie is on the ball he has both the half and centre on him so he has no chance to attract the winger for Oates to have space because we move it too slow.

It's an area that our half who will be on the side and Niu have to work on next year and it will completely transform our attack. I still don't think Herbie is doing anything wrong here he is a centre not a spine player he can't do a cut out pass because there is only 1 to his outside and if the ball hasn't been given to him quick enough for him to give his winger space his options are just resorted to the hitup.

The Fullback has to be comfortable with cut out passes, Niu does it decently well on the right but on the left he rarely goes for it and it shows in how weak it makes our left. if he just passes it to Herbie and the winger and himself have a defender on them what is he supposed to do outside of just kicking it and hoping for the best or try and see if he can break a tackle, alot of the time he shouldn't be in that position.

The thing that makes our left soo weak is there is the lack of cut out passes, even if it's earlier from the first receiver to a back rower for example it's just 1 by 1 passes so by the time the outside backs get it there is no space. Most times Herbie is on the ball he has both the second rower and centre on him so he has no chance to attract the winger for Oates to have space because we move it too slow.

It's an area that our half who will be on the side and Niu have to work on next year and it will completely transform our attack. I still don't think Herbie is doing anything wrong here he is a centre not a spine player he can't do a cut out pass because there is only 1 to his outside and if the ball hasn't been given to him quick enough for him to give his winger space his options are just resorted to the hitup.
Milf's kick to Oates was the right idea. If not for the **** of a bounce that would've been a try.

The thing that makes our left soo weak is there is the lack of cut out passes, even if it's earlier from the first receiver to a back rower for example it's just 1 by 1 passes so by the time the outside backs get it there is no space. Most times Herbie is on the ball he has both the half and centre on him so he has no chance to attract the winger for Oates to have space because we move it too slow.

Oates must miss those beautiful cut out passes from boyd.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.