vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fifita to Centre? Seems possible at least.
If it comes to that, but then we're down a second rower. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Shibasaki in the side but with our forwards able to play big minutes effectively and the injuries to our backs having him ride the pine in case of injury isn't the worst situation.

They should hit Macca with a grade 2 for his professional foul 🤣🤣

If we can put 20+ on these guys, we will make second round of the semis. Keep the momentum and confidence building.

If it comes to that, but then we're down a second rower. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Shibasaki in the side but with our forwards able to play big minutes effectively and the injuries to our backs having him ride the pine in case of injury isn't the worst situation.
I think it has already been mentioned, but Seibs reasoning behind having a Shiba on the bench is to cover the eventuality of any of our backline suffering an HIA and being unable to return. He may not be needed evry game but if and when we do lose a player to HIA it will look like a masterstroke. Next year if Perese's defence picks up we may see him or even Herbie playing the same role.

I think Turpin comes in for Seggy against the dogs.
I would be surprised if Seibs drops SoS, purely on his defence last night. Not enough has been made of it, but it was brilliant. His attack is still a little off, especially his kicking game, but the bloke has only played 5 or so NRL games now, hopefully he just keeps on improving.
I also think SoS and Fifi are creating a good partnership.
I don't think Seggy will be around next year, considering there really is no need for 3 hookers in this squad, especially now that Macca has taken up his player option..unless a team like the dogs come in with a big money offer, but I cannot see it happening. I do believe the Broncos have offered Seggy a new deal, but him not taking it (yet) may kind of tell us that he is looking for more $, a longer term deal or more minutes - i'd be surprised if the dogs don't go after him.

Last edited:
I wonder if we shouldn't use Macca on the bench in place of Shiba, start Turpin at hooker, and keep Seggy as a change of pace for when Turpin gets gassed (maybe 55/25). Macca can play as a light forward somewhat in the David Stagg mould - obviously he couldn't cover an injury in the outside backs the way Stagg could but as had already been said there are ways around that, and it gets him away from the play the balls. Put him on and have him tackle himself to a standstill. Can also provide a bit of ball playing and another kicking option when he is on. Just seems more valuable than having Shiba ride the pine for 80 minutes...

Last edited:
I wonder if we shouldn't use Macca on the bench in place of Shiba, start Turpin at hooker, and keep Seggy as a change of pace for when Turpin gets gassed (maybe 55/25). Macca can play as a light forward somewhat in the David Stagg mould - obviously he couldn't cover an injury in the outside backs the way Stagg could but as had already been said there are ways around that, and it gets him away from the play the balls. Put him on and have him tackle himself to a standstill. Can also provide a bit of ball playing and another kicking option when he is on. Just seems more valuable than having Shiba ride the pine for 80 minutes...

I like it. I don’t mind having Macca in the team, especially if it is at the expense of a pretty useless Shiba. Also if it means he isn’t in the 9, I’m all for it. He could be a useful utility.

O'Sullivan training with the reserves. Turpin with the main squad.

He's lost me if he pulls sos for turpin

I think Turpin comes in for Seggy against the dogs.
I would be surprised if Seibs drops SoS, purely on his defence last night. Not enough has been made of it, but it was brilliant. His attack is still a little off, especially his kicking game, but the bloke has only played 5 or so NRL games now, hopefully he just keeps on improving.
I also think SoS and Fifi are creating a good partnership.
I don't think Seggy will be around next year, considering there really is no need for 3 hookers in this squad, especially now that Macca has taken up his player option..unless a team like the dogs come in with a big money offer, but I cannot see it happening. I do believe the Broncos have offered Seggy a new deal, but him not taking it (yet) may kind of tell us that he is looking for more $, a longer term deal or more minutes - i'd be surprised if the dogs don't go after him.
You know, just on the perception that SOS didn't kick well, I think the view is incorrect. As far as I know he kicked 4 times with one that came off the side of the boot although it found touch. The fact his kicks were caught on the full wasn't a big deal.

Milford kicked quite a few times more and nearly every single one was caught on the full too and twice he kicked dead. He really only struck two that were pretty damn good. One which did find the space and the grubber for Boyd.

I think it has already been mentioned, but Seibs reasoning behind having a Shiba on the bench is to cover the eventuality of any of our backline suffering an HIA and being unable to return. He may not be needed evry game but if and when we do lose a player to HIA it will look like a masterstroke. Next year if Perese's defence picks up we may see him or even Herbie playing the same role.

yep...agree with the reasoning.....clearly the ability of some of our forwards (Haas & Fifita) to play 80 straight minutes nowadays (!!!!) allows the bench more latitude to carry a outside back. And if you need him cause of injury or HIA you come out looking pretty smart and all...

BUT...

Why Shiba? Cant we have someone else there who can do what David Stagg used to do for us? Can you really afford to have 1 bench spot basically "break in case of emergency" cause whoever you put instead on there you'd think has the ability to come onto the field and contribute even if its only 20 minute cameo..?

Maccas a fine substitute but cant play outside back; maybe Fifita slides into a centre spot depending on how is out..?

I said it before; our bench rotations needs more work...
[automerge]1567478444[/automerge]

no no no no.......surely this is a ploy to confuse the Dogs..??....

Siebs, say it aint so man...

Last edited:
You know, just on the perception that SOS didn't kick well, I think the view is incorrect. As far as I know he kicked 4 times with one that came off the side of the boot although it found touch. The fact his kicks were caught on the full wasn't a big deal.

Milford kicked quite a few times more and nearly every single one was caught on the full too and twice he kicked dead. He really only struck two that were pretty damn good. One which did find the space and the grubber for Boyd.
Our kicks are caught on the full a lot. I know our kickers did some work with AFL kickers (whose kicks are primarily designed to be marked). Do you think that that style of kicking may not be suited to our territory game? The best kicks i have noted from our team this year are the long flat kicks that continue to bounce.

Our kicks are caught on the full a lot. I know our kickers did some work with AFL kickers (whose kicks are primarily designed to be marked). Do you think that that style of kicking may not be suited to our territory game? The best kicks i have noted from our team this year are the long flat kicks that continue to bounce.
I believe 90% of all bombs or long lobs are caught on the full. The back three in every team are well practiced in that regard. I actually didn't see anything wrong with SOS's kicks the other night with the skewed kick being the exception. I thought he had a good game and one particular tackle on our line dislodged the ball ,snuffing out the attack. The passion with which he plays is infectious too and although I love Turps and his terrific defence/passion I still would pick SOS at half. Both are a must for any team I'd pick from our current roster.

I think SOS fires everyone up and we've been good these past two games against higher ranked teams.

I believe 90% of all bombs or long lobs are caught on the full. The back three in every team are well practiced in that regard. I actually didn't see anything wrong with SOS's kicks the other night with the skewed kick being the exception. I thought he had a good game and one particular tackle on our line dislodged the ball ,snuffing out the attack. The passion with which he plays is infectious too and although I love Turps and his terrific defence/passion I still would pick SOS at half. Both are a must for any team I'd pick from our current roster.

I think SOS fires everyone up and we've been good these past two games against higher ranked teams.
I was more referring to our long kicking game, but i definitely agree with SOS and the energy he brings. He is often leading his own kick chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • BooKhaki
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bazza
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • levikaden
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • The Don
  • westy316
  • broncs30
  • Midean
  • LittleDavey
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.