vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw something on Fox sports about Macca being up for the nudie run having not scored a try yet this season. Expecting some dummy and dive stuff close to the line from him...

Saw something on Fox sports about Macca being up for the nudie run having not scored a try yet this season. Expecting some dummy and dive stuff close to the line from him...
I thought he had scored a try this season

About time he pulled the dummy out of storage, its usually good for 3-5 tries a year.

About time he pulled the dummy out of storage, its usually good for 3-5 tries a year.

It's gone from a bit of an overused play to entirely missing from him this year. Probably coinciding with a finally having a good halves pairing to actually throw the ball to, but I agree. The more options he's employing out of dummy half, the better.

It's gone from a bit of an overused play to entirely missing from him this year. Probably coinciding with a finally having a good halves pairing to actually throw the ball to, but I agree. The more options he's employing out of dummy half, the better.
I'm quite happy that facet of Maccas game is gone... Used to shit me to tears, he got pretty predictable, and wasnt the best at picking the best times

Broncos legend Corey Parker eyes fairytale finish to decorated career

COREY Parker vividly remembers the fairytale for his Broncos mentor Shane Webcke. Now, he hopes the footballing gods are penning something equally as significant for him.

A decade ago, Parker was a brash young forward with a funky haircut and fearless attitude when Webcke enjoyed a premiership finale with the Broncos.

Parker idolised Webcke but no man administered tough love at Red Hill quite like “Webby’’. Parker is now impervious to pain because he was indoctrinated in Webcke-style toughness.

If Webcke wanted a good old-fashioned wrestle at training, the young turk Parker would gladly step up.

It was a master-apprentice dynamic built on respect and a passion for the Broncos culture. The Webcke way now endures in Parker, who tonight captains the Broncos in his final regular-season home game against the Roosters at Suncorp Stadium.

The Maroons ironman was 24 when he helped Webcke write his Broncos fairytale in the 2006 grand-final upset of Melbourne.

Parker has not won a premiership since ... but dreams of the golden lap of honour afforded the Broncos warhorse who has become a lifelong friend.

“I still talk to Webby today,” says Parker, the most-capped forward in NRL history who plays his 346th game for the Broncos tonight.

“I remember the build-up to the grand final for Webby. He’s a lot like myself actually. He just goes about his business and gets on with it.

“Internally, he probably had a lot of emotions going on as I do now. For Webby, it was always about doing the job for the team.

“Looking back, it was never spoken about, ‘Let’s win this for Webby’. It’s never been like that at the Broncos ... doing things for people because no single player is bigger than the team.

“If you are doing it for each other, the team will benefit.

“Thankfully, Webby got that premiership swan song and that would be the fairytale I would wish for.

“Unfortunately it’s not always the case, as ‘Hodgo’ (former Broncos centre Justin Hodges) discovered last year.

“But if I was to go down the path again, it would be a nice way to finish. It would mean even more for me for some of our younger guys to experience it.”

In his final days as a Bronco, Parker is trying to instil in Brisbane’s generation next what he learnt from Webcke and his other engine-room mentor, Andrew Gee.

“I have made lifelong friend out of those two guys,” Parker says.

“I had a motto that if you hang around good people, you will be a good person. As blokes, I just connected with them.
“I would look at Webby and Gee Gee and think these guys are at the top of the chain, I can learn from these blokes.

“Webby was never one to dissect a game, he would just inspire you. But Gee Gee was a real thinker and I would pick his brain on football. Put them together and you have a pretty handy combination of knowledge.

“It’s not over for me yet, but as captain I’d like to think I can pass something on to our next batch of forwards coming through.’’

Parker seriously considered quitting Brisbane just once. Former Broncos assistant Craig Bellamy, starting out as Melbourne coach in 2003, tried to entice him to the Storm but Parker could not abandon a dream he fashioned as a 10-year-old.

“I had a big offer to go down to Melbourne for three years,” he recalls. “Bellyache had just gone to Melbourne, he had seen me as a young bloke coming through at the Broncos.

“I ended up staying in Brisbane for under half of what I got offered. In giving up that money, I’ve won a comp and played for Queensland and Australia, so how do you put a price on that?

“My heart has always been with the Broncos. I am happy I stayed here as a one-club man.’’

Wayne Bennett has coached many champions at the Broncos and says Parker belongs in their league.

“Corey is right up there with our greats,” he says.

“He’d always make any team because he brings that consistency. He gives his best every week for you. The players want to play with him and that’s the greatest accolade you could get.

“I didn’t realise he would go on to do what he has done, but he’s always been tough.

“I saw him at training last year, he pulled a muscle in his arm and it was black and blue. He was in huge pain but he insisted on playing and training. That’s Corey.

“I hope he has a great game (tonight). I hope his teammates play well for him. It’s a pretty special occasion. We’ve had so many of those at the Broncos so I want it to be a great night for him and the fans.’’

1472773045.jpg

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
I'm quite happy that facet of Maccas game is gone... Used to shit me to tears, he got pretty predictable, and wasnt the best at picking the best times

...like in a certain Grand Final with an unmarked CP13 walking through under the posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.