Round 3 - Broncos vs Roosters - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Discuss, any changes you'd make to the team? No injuries reported out of the Cowboys game, Stagg & Kahu not due back for a couple more weeks. I'd say McGuire may cop a 1-2 week suspension though, for his combination of infringements. I'd obviously love to get Hunt & Hoffman out of the halves, but it won't happen.

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Corey Parker (c)
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Sam Thaiday

14. Martin Kennedy
15. Todd Lowrie
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. David Hala

I would just either get rid of Hoffman or switch Barba to 5/8 in attack and Hoffman at 5/8 in defense. He isn't doing the job and it's killing us. He provides nothing in attack and we desperately need someone that has some attacking flair.

I'm not confident about this game at all. The Broncos have put in brave performances to win their last 2, but they will be going up against the best defensive and attacking side of 2013. Our ruck and middle defense is still a huge problem. I think Roosters will put us to the sword..

I think Roosters will put us to the sword..

I was sure the Cows would do that too.. it's clear we're fitter and more committed in defence for that to happen.

Let's see how the Roosters go without Williams this week.

Last edited:
Hope to god Griffin learns from his mistake the past two weeks and considers his bench more carefully. Obviously with McGuire out he should be using the 17th man, but who knows, he might very well give our 2 bench youngsters a maximum of 10mins each.

It really frustrates me though - if he isn't going to trust Wallace in a tight game, that means he'll only get game time when we had a big lead or deficit. If it's the latter it won't matter who is playing, and if it's the latter a prop is hardly going to help us chase a game. Forwards like Wallace will only ever really be good value for their ability in the grind, they aren't going to win you games. It's horrible game planning and I hope Griffin fixes it.

McGuire will do time for his 2 slaps so he's out. Guess we're running with 15 players next week lads?

Hope to god Griffin learns from his mistake the past two weeks and considers his bench more carefully. Obviously with McGuire out he should be using the 17th man, but who knows, he might very well give our 2 bench youngsters a maximum of 10mins each.

It really frustrates me though - if he isn't going to trust Wallace in a tight game, that means he'll only get game time when we had a big lead or deficit. If it's the latter it won't matter who is playing, and if it's the latter a prop is hardly going to help us chase a game. Forwards like Wallace will only ever really be good value for their ability in the grind, they aren't going to win you games. It's horrible game planning and I hope Griffin fixes it.
I don't know that you can paint hooks use of the bench as mismanagement. Two weeks in a row, looks more like an intentional strategy.

I don't know that you can paint hooks use of the bench as mismanagement. Two weeks in a row, looks more like an intentional strategy.

Just because you do something intentionally, doesn't mean it's not mismanagement. I mean, the Eels intentionally paid Corey Norman 500k.

1. Copley
2. Hoffman
3. Vidot
4. Reed
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Parker
11. Thaiday
12. Glenn
13. Gillett

14. Kennedy
15. Lowrie
16. Wallace
17. Hala/Molo or whoever as they won't get a run

I'm not sure why the huge Hook hate about not using Wallace. If your best forwards are playing well and not knocking up, why use the last forward just because he's there? They're obviously fitter and easily able to play longer minutes so I don't think its an issue.
The only issue - is Wallace able to go back and play QCup to keep match fit?

I'm not sure why the huge Hook hate about not using Wallace. If your best forwards are playing well and not knocking up, why use the last forward just because he's there? They're obviously fitter and easily able to play longer minutes so I don't think its an issue.
The only issue - is Wallace able to go back and play QCup to keep match fit?

For selecting Wallace there to begin with. If you don't trust or want to use a player, then put another type of player in there instead who may be of value. Like a raw attacking player who could help us chase a game if behind etc.

For selecting Wallace there to begin with. If you don't trust or want to use a player, then put another type of player in there instead who may be of value. Like a raw attacking player who could help us chase a game if behind etc.
Who did you have in mind?
I'm guessing he's there more as insurance in case someone does knock up or get injured and then he can slide into the rotation.

Who did you have in mind?
I'm guessing he's there more as insurance in case someone does knock up or get injured and then he can slide into the rotation.

I doubt it. Lowrie got concussed and only played 5mins in Round 1 and Wallace still didn't get on the field.

Two wins in two games. Tracy Grimshaw could have been on the bench. Still would be 100%. Some people will never be satisfied

I doubt it. Lowrie got concussed and only played 5mins in Round 1 and Wallace still didn't get on the field.

That's true but I can't remember who came on for Lowrie. It goes back to the original point. If your best forwards are fit and able, why not use them?

I actually thought Hoffman played well last night, just not as a modern day 5/8th. It was a bit of a Shaun Berrigan type performance - looked like he had no pinpointed task, just did what he knows how to do. Came up with some good runs and big defensive plays. If he had a halfback next to him that could handle the playmaking role in conjunction with Barba, Hoffy at 5/8th could just work. The thing is though, that halfback needs to be Cherry-Evans, not Hunt. At this stage anyway - Hunt was poor last night but we know he is better than that.

This game will be a true indication of how far we have come. We've beaten 2 sides that made the finals last year but defeating the defending premiers will be outstanding.

It will be interesting to see how they go without SBW tonight but I'm still expecting them to knock over Parra. The Roosters are in a different league to the Warriors.

We've got two wins now yet some people can never be satisfied. I thought Hoffman was solid. Made a couple handling errors and tackles but came up with important runs and plays when we needed it. Barba is still troubled by an ankle and having him at five eighth would be a hint to every team particularly the roosters forward pack. Additionally, we've won two in a row! Let's relax and give the team time to gel.

We've got two wins now yet some people can never be satisfied. I thought Hoffman was solid. Made a couple handling errors and tackles but came up with important runs and plays when we needed it. Barba is still troubled by an ankle and having him at five eighth would be a hint to every team particularly the roosters forward pack. Additionally, we've won two in a row! Let's relax and give the team time to gel.

Just because we won it does not mean we can not point out what a clusterfuck our halves are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Stix
  • Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
  • levikaden
  • Tmac
  • Foordy
  • Accept
  • cento
  • Allo
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • Swordfish
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.