Round 3 Discussion

Hasler's aurora as a quality coach is quickly disappearing, i thought Mbye could challenge for SOO selection, but not so far. It just look like Manly 6yrs ago, without the finesse.
Eels may surprise but unlikely to challenge.
But thats my opinion

Quality game of footy.

The Eels look like the real deal. There's plenty of time between now and September, but if their forwards can sustain and even build on that performance they will beat most teams in the competition. Especially when you've got game-breakers like Jennings and Radradra. Semi is a wonderful advertisement for the game and he was dynamite everytime he touched the ball.

Canterbury will feel duped by the Perrett no try. I actually agree with the decision and have no issue with the process. The ends justify the means and in the end, it was Kasiano who threw it forward. Still, the controversy clearly shook Canterbury and they switched off. That Rona pass maybe one of the worst bloopers I've seen in a while (...perhaps since October).

The Dogs will be alright. Throw Lichaa and Eastwood back into the mix and they'll win more often than not. However, their lack of go-to plays is concerning. When you're relying on guys like Kasiano to break a game open, you're going to be in trouble. Mbye is going to mature into a great player, but he needs some weapons around him.

I find myself agreeing with pretty much all of your views on footy BP, but I honestly can't see how the Eels are the real deal. The dogs were absolutely woeful, yet they only really took the game away from them after a wrong, and disgraceful call from the bunker.

I find myself agreeing with pretty much all of your views on footy BP, but I honestly can't see how the Eels are the real deal. The dogs were absolutely woeful, yet they only really took the game away from them after a wrong, and disgraceful call from the bunker.

They've made three quality teams play woeful in three consecutive weeks. Physically they've been in every game and even showed the Dogs of War who's boss.

It's only March, it's not as if I've got them penciled in for the premiership but this is the best the Eels have looked in years.

Hasler's aurora as a quality coach is quickly disappearing, i thought Mbye could challenge for SOO selection, but not so far. It just look like Manly 6yrs ago, without the finesse.
Eels may surprise but unlikely to challenge.
But thats my opinion

Mbye could be a good player, but not in the role the Dogs are expecting of him IMO. He can't be in charge of a side at all. He should mostly be concentrating on running the ball and have someone else direct the side. But sucks for them - Reynolds is exactly the same too.

Mbye could be a good player, but not in the role the Dogs are expecting of him IMO. He can't be in charge of a side at all. He should mostly be concentrating on running the ball and have someone else direct the side. But sucks for them - Reynolds is exactly the same too.

I think if they had some depth in attack on the line they'd be fine. Mbye has decent vision and is willing to put the grubber in (3 drop outs from him tonight?). Instead they just stand flat footed and try to create something from nothing on every play.

They remind me of the Griffin Broncos tbh, good players, but not really playing as a team.

Reynolds is nothing these days. He might be a handy hooker with a bit of a running game, but I can't see him as a half, let alone one that other teams would want to sign once Des decides to give him the flick.

The Titans would and they would sign him as a marquee, says all you need to know really as no one else would go near him.

Dogs definitely made a mistake letting Hodkinson go for Reynolds. Now I don't think Hodkinson is a world beater or anything, but he'd help the team and especially Mbye a lot more.

I really don't think that game was as good as everyone is saying it was. The Bulldogs were shit with the ball, they threw absolutely nothing at the Eels. And then the Eels didn't show up for half the game. And don't even get me started on the last 20 minutes. Both teams were wrecked. The 8 man interchange has turned the last 20 minutes of almost every game into a slow, boring error-fest.

The Bulldogs were shit with the ball

Largely because the Eels defence prevented them from getting a roll on.

they threw absolutely nothing at the Eels.

They worked the exact same set plays that worked for them to past two weeks.

Great attack? No, but hardly 'nothing' either.

And then the Eels didn't show up for half the game.

???

And don't even get me started on the last 20 minutes. Both teams were wrecked.

It's where the game was sealed - two tries to one after a hard hitting encounter.

Largely because the Eels defence prevented them from getting a roll on.

They worked the exact same set plays that worked for them to past two weeks.

Great attack? No, but hardly 'nothing' either.

???

It's where the game was sealed - two tries to one after a hard hitting encounter.

Yeah it was the Eels fault that the Bulldogs halves did nothing to set up tries. The Eels did **** all in the first half and that showed by only having one try. The defense was alright but the attack wasn't very good either. Gus Gould saying both teams were playing well at the 60 minute mark when one of the teams hadn't even looked like scoring (except from a forward pass) was ridiculous.

Of course the game opened up when both teams were wrecked. Radradra doesn't score that try up the middle if the team is a) good defensively and b) not super tired. Even the Cowboys looked wrecked in last nights game and they were well on top and still scored a bunch of tries.

Yeah it was the Eels fault that the Bulldogs halves did nothing to set up tries.

Because the Bulldogs halves weren't given much room to set up tries, notice the Eels defensive line and how quick they were to crowd the Bulldogs.

JT struggled against the same defensive line, and he may as well be god.

The Eels did **** all in the first half and that showed by only having one try.

The amount of tries isn't indicative of quality play. Besides, it wasn't like the Eels didn't go close on numerous occasions - they were denied by resilient Dogs defence.

The defense was alright but the attack wasn't very good either.

It wasn't great, but it was more than 'nothing' and '**** all'.

b) not super tired. Even the Cowboys looked wrecked in last nights game and they were well on top and still scored a bunch of tries.

So what?

Superior fitness, speed and conditioning should be rewarded. For so long Rugby League has been a power game where teams like Souths have been able to win because they throw an entire clan of Burgi and GI at you. Finally the speed men are given an advantage and this is meant to be a bad thing?

I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a trend where people have a tough time giving credit where credit is due. I saw it last week with the Broncos, all I heard about was how bad the Warriors kicking game was, forgetting about the wonderful performance from Boyd, Oates and Kahu.

I really don't think that game was as good as everyone is saying it was. The Bulldogs were shit with the ball, they threw absolutely nothing at the Eels. And then the Eels didn't show up for half the game. And don't even get me started on the last 20 minutes. Both teams were wrecked. The 8 man interchange has turned the last 20 minutes of almost every game into a slow, boring error-fest.

I really couldn't care less about these two sides, but I thought it was entertaining. Could have been just riding off the high of the amazing Jennings try, Radradra's effort. It was a pretty physical contest, that was pretty good too.

I was saying in the Pre-Season that the Eels have their best team in years and they are certainly making the most of it. Quality performance and the Bulldogs are not a dud team by any stretch. Semi was dynamite everytime he touched the ball he looked like busting the Dogs apart, Jennings also had a good game tonight. Early days but Foran is turning out to be the buy of the year, he is doing wonders with Norman and has improved the Eels greatly.

Loved the Jennings try in the first half and how Parra got Hopoate involved in the celebration

1012603_1155445974468192_2023209440993839952_n.jpg

Yeah it was the Eels fault that the Bulldogs halves did nothing to set up tries. The Eels did **** all in the first half and that showed by only having one try. The defense was alright but the attack wasn't very good either. Gus Gould saying both teams were playing well at the 60 minute mark when one of the teams hadn't even looked like scoring (except from a forward pass) was ridiculous.

Of course the game opened up when both teams were wrecked. Radradra doesn't score that try up the middle if the team is a) good defensively and b) not super tired. Even the Cowboys looked wrecked in last nights game and they were well on top and still scored a bunch of tries.

Has spicy thai food and the Hangover crew sent you nuts?

Keep up the good work you've been very very entertaining to read of late.

****, that was amazing from Semi. God Hopoate is ****ing shit too.

I think he has been doing a good job since getting back under Dessie. Was by far their best player tonight.

Has spicy thai food and the Hangover crew sent you nuts?

Keep up the good work you've been very very entertaining to read of late.

Glass houses, mate.

Last edited:
Gee the Eels were good last night. They took it to the Dogs pack and won the battle. Their line speed in defense was top notch.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • RodF
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • barker
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.