Round 5 Discussion

In terms of the lock position, without a doubt. To be fair though, a large number of supporters were vocally saying let him go last year was a huge mistake.

That said, the whole recruitment and retention division has been doing a shocking job for years now.

To be fair, it's easy to criticize the decision now.

But take a look at Arrow's performances for the Broncos, even as a starter, and there was no way he was worth the money we would have had to spend. Especially when we have players that are going to be better than Arrow.

Sometimes the players go on to be better, sometimes it's the change of club that makes them better. Sometimes they go on to be nobodies.

To be fair, it's easy to criticize the decision now.

But take a look at Arrow's performances for the Broncos, even as a starter, and there was no way he was worth the money we would have had to spend. Especially when we have players that are going to be better than Arrow.

Sometimes the players go on to be better, sometimes it's the change of club that makes them better. Sometimes they go on to be nobodies.

Some of us (myself and Foordy right at the forefront) criticized the decision last year, this isn't a hindsight thing. You oculdn't look at the kid, his talent but especially his work ethic, and think he is going to be anything other than an absolute gun. He wasn't used right at the Broncs, he is a workhorse (a very, very good one) and not an impact prop.

But these are the sorts of decisions you pay your recruitment and retention guys to look at and handle. If (and I have no idea if this is true) it turns out that the Broncs picked up Bird to play lock and let Arrow walk, it is just a stupid decision no matter how you look at it.

I'm also obviously a Kodi supporter but not even I would argue that replacing him with Taylor at halfback doesn't make this side a LOT better. Now, signing Bird to a big multi-year contract, signing Boyd to a big, multi-year contract and not retiring Thaiday, extending Glenn, signing Sims, etc have all cost the likes of Arrow, Wallace, Ese'ese and Benji. Hard to see how any of that can even be remotely a good decision even without the benefit of Hindsight. Taylor I'll concede as no one could have foreseen Hunt's massive offer but the rest, well good luck arguing it.

Agreed. Although I think Benji was gone no matter what we did tbh.

Some of us (myself and Foordy right at the forefront) criticized the decision last year, this isn't a hindsight thing. You oculdn't look at the kid, his talent but especially his work ethic, and think he is going to be anything other than an absolute gun. He wasn't used right at the Broncs, he is a workhorse (a very, very good one) and not an impact prop.

But these are the sorts of decisions you pay your recruitment and retention guys to look at and handle. If (and I have no idea if this is true) it turns out that the Broncs picked up Bird to play lock and let Arrow walk, it is just a stupid decision no matter how you look at it.

I'm also obviously a Kodi supporter but not even I would argue that replacing him with Taylor at halfback doesn't make this side a LOT better. Now, signing Bird to a big multi-year contract, signing Boyd to a big, multi-year contract and not retiring Thaiday, extending Glenn, signing Sims, etc have all cost the likes of Arrow, Wallace, Ese'ese and Benji. Hard to see how any of that can even be remotely a good decision even without the benefit of Hindsight. Taylor I'll concede as no one could have foreseen Hunt's massive offer but the rest, well good luck arguing it.

The Arrow situation is just like the Wallace situation.

Despite having the opportunities, he wasn't showing why he should have been a priority. He wasn't putting in the same amount of effort as he is at the Titans and he wasn't showing he was worth the money.

But it doesn't bother me that we lost Jai and it shouldn't bother anyone else.

TPJ, Haas, Fifita. Mark my words, they will put Arrow to shame when they reach their potential. And if we had forked out the ridiculous money for Arrow, how would you rate our chances of keeping those three?

Short term pain for long term gain. We are getting the better end of the deal here.

As for Benji, he always wanted to be at the Tigers. He is a Tigers man through and through. It's where he made his name, it's where he wanted to finish his career. We weren't stopping him no matter what.

The Arrow situation is just like the Wallace situation.

Despite having the opportunities, he wasn't showing why he should have been a priority. He wasn't putting in the same amount of effort as he is at the Titans and he wasn't showing he was worth the money.

But it doesn't bother me that we lost Jai and it shouldn't bother anyone else.

TPJ, Haas, Fifita. Mark my words, they will put Arrow to shame when they reach their potential. And if we had forked out the ridiculous money for Arrow, how would you rate our chances of keeping those three?

Short term pain for long term gain. We are getting the better end of the deal here.

As for Benji, he always wanted to be at the Tigers. He is a Tigers man through and through. It's where he made his name, it's where he wanted to finish his career. We weren't stopping him no matter what.

Yeah as for Benji, that could be the case but I do remember him saying (or someone saying) he was only looking for another 100k and he would have stayed. But I have no idea as I’ve heard a number of different things about it.

In terms of Arrow, let’s be honest, he wasn’t looking bad at all and certainly not what he is doing now. But every man and his dog could see he had something special, the Broncs were just using him wrong. Add to that fact that both he AND Wallace went next level literally two-three weeks into their careers at the Titans (a much maligned team obviously), what does that say about their development at the Broncs? We’re the Broncs not getting the best from them? Who’s fault was that?

But in any case, you are making it sound like he was looking for huge dollars...he wasn’t. He got a more than fair offer from the Titans and he Broncs couldn’t match it. I’m sure he would have stayed if they could have at least got close.

In answer to your question, how would his retention have cost the likes of Haas, Fifita, TPJ? That money could have easily come from Thaiday, Glenn, Sims (especially) and Bird (even more especially) and Boyd. Not a good argument there.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Jedhead
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Midean
  • Bish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dony Eliakim
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.