Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos

Midfield bombs because he’s sick of his driving kicks not being chased

Every kicker in the game gives away 7 tackle sets

People want him to run more and he gets tackled on the fourth as a result, surely Wunderkind can get a couple of kicks away even though milf is the primary kicker
Why would anyone else chase his kicks when they will quite literally never be put onside because Milford just stands there and watches before he dawdles back to where he will masquerade as a defender for the following set?

Why would anyone else chase his kicks when they will quite literally never be put onside because Milford just stands there and watches before he dawdles back to where he will masquerade as a defender for the following set?
I know this has become a popular meme on this forum but kickers generally don’t chase their own kicks because they’re getting belted by fucking back rowers as they kick it

I would feel a bit more comfortable if we were at least trying to get the little things right but they aren’t doing even those. Simple things like pressuring the kicker from marker, having a forward stand next to the markers on clearing kicks, chasing kicks down the field in a straight line, and looking remotely like we know what we are doing in attack with a style at least.
I also think Kev needs to seriously consider signing a player like Moga to help out the backs coming out of our end. The back 5 don’t make a lot of metres in our own half and are consistently putting us on the back foot every week. They need a few metre eaters at the back (maybe Oates if he pulls his socks up). And tell Coates to toughen up, built like Tarzan but runs like Jane

I would feel a bit more comfortable if we were at least trying to get the little things right but they aren’t doing even those. Simple things like pressuring the kicker from marker, having a forward stand next to the markers on clearing kicks, chasing kicks down the field in a straight line, and looking remotely like we know what we are doing in attack with a style at least.
I also think Kev needs to seriously consider signing a player like Moga to help out the backs coming out of our end. The back 5 don’t make a lot of metres in our own half and are consistently putting us on the back foot every week. They need a few metre eaters at the back (maybe Oates if he pulls his socks up). And tell Coates to toughen up, built like Tarzan but runs like Jane
Yes Coates needs a stern talking to.
Now listen here , toughen up.young man.
That outa do it 🙄

With all due respect, I would take bowing out in the prelims every single day of the week over the garbage we are having to put up with at the moment.
Me too. I'd take Souths' squad over ours every day of the week too.

As I see it

Isaako actually had a decent perfomance which likely means next week will be a shocker but that is tow of the last three where he hasn't been shit.
Coates was far off his best and truth be known I don't know what his best is because he hasn't shown me a complete skillset yet. We know he is fast and tall and can jump but defensively he has a long way to go.
Kennar...Well what can you say, he should enjoy a rare glimpse of playing in the NRL, he isn't really up to jouryman status either. Likely out of the game in a year or two.
Niu was also below his best. I didn't see any agression in his performance. I think he has it in him but instead of improving, he seems to be going backwards.
Mead....a true journeyman who's journey is about to end. He just doesn't offer enough of anything anymore to warrant picking.
Milford...If this wasn't the final nail in the coffin, I don't know what is. He was terrible in every facet. Zero game management, poor kicking and lousy defence. I think it is time to stop looking at a 2015 performance and think that you are going to get anything resembling that. The reality is that without Hunt, he has been very average and now has average speed and poor confidence. Time for a change of scenery.
Dearden had a few moment but really is showing poor hands. Will he rise to the level of a NRL halfback? I have no idea.
Lodge was quite possibly the worst on ground yesterday. Let's face it, he is too slow and just because he looks like an angry thickset white fella, doesn't mean that any team should fear him. He doesn't bend the line and isn't a star in defence. I have seen ennough. Carrigan or Pangai Jr would work better in the prop role.
Turpin was very poor last night. Everyone who over the last couple of seasons may have been fooled by his good attitude and a few darts out of the nine role. Reality is that he is not a starting hooker and is best replacement 9.
Haas should demand 80 minutes and the coaching staff should demand he defend much better. He was our hardest working ball runner last night but still really hasn't improved since his rookie year. Is it coaching or attitude, culture or alll of the above? Who knows.
Glenn is the captan when really he should't be starting. He is Mr. Average at best. Nice guy but puts zero fear into anyone including his own players. Do you think Justin Hodges (our last real captian BTW) was kissy and cuddly with his team. **** no. You screw up and Hodgo let you know about it.
Riki was the the recipient of some horrible passing last night. I like him but needs to know where he should be in defence. I was hoping he was the next Faffita as a ball runner but that was a pipe dream.
Pangai Jr.... The good news is that he hasn't been supsended for anyting...yet. The bad news is he hasn't put in any game changing performances either. The one thing that you can't teach him or most of this squad is smarts.
Croft only got 10 minutes so I can't comment much on it. From day one figured there was a reason Bellamy shipped him off.
Flegler is a better footballer than Lodge but that isn't saying that much. I think with the right coaching he could be solid but not game changing.
Asiata is someone that I wish got more minutes. Something tells me that he can have some impact on the side but until he gets the minutes...who knows?
Teo- bad luck for Ben with the bicep tear. That said, he just doesn't have nearly the needed impact anymore. Thanks for you return to service.

Kevin Walters looks over his head in every way. Poor picking, terrible rotations and so far hasn't shown me much of anything. I hope this will change. I also really hope we see Milf out and Karmichael in next week. The team has zero leadership and love him or hate him, Hunt is an experienced and intelligent footballer who can lead. We need someone who doesn't have a loser mentality and I think he is a good short term solution. Sure I would love to see Staggs kill it but until that happens, why not roll the dice and see if we can get an attitude adjustment.

Milford no.7
KHunt no.6

Give that a whirl.......can't be any worse that what we're seeing now. KHunt primarily for his leadership and experience. I've never rated him as a 6....but, we desperatley need some kind of organistion out there on the field.

We need some players who will just do their jobs, but mainly we need a hooker and a 7 who can direct the team around. Should be going hard for Reynolds as that first piece of the puzzle
Definitely need a 9 that can game manage , Turpin isn't our guy . Reynolds 2 years tops and Dearden at 6. Not sure about 1 yet isaako then cobbo , depends who we get at 9 i guess (cap wise).
Either way there's plenty to work out, hopefully they can sort it because it isn't fun atm

Watching our 2015 game against the Rabbitohs (not the first one obviously) god damn we had a shit hot team. Everyone did their job.

Sort of depressing now but also such a great time to be a Broncos fan.

Has 122m average for this year, I think it's more our ball handling and feild position that kills us. We seem to have a knack of putting ourselves under pressure and not our opposition.

I just hate this team as a whole. I love parts of it, but the bits I hate heavily outweigh it when this is the result we’re getting for 90% of the season.

Yet again, another game of one-outs, getting dominated coming out of our own end, arm-grabbing defence and just dumb dumb errors. We have no shape, there might be one tackle a set per half we have anything resembling numbers moving up together or supporting the ball carrier. It’s such a pedestrian, toothless style of play and little wonder we’re getting nowhere

I cannot stand watching Milford anymore. He is in my opinion the source of everything breaking down. As much as his kicking improved over the last few years, it’s still absolute dogshit, kicking it dead or straight to a defender and it releases any sort of pressure we may have built.

Kev needs to drop him, even if it costs him his job in the end, because it just needs to happen.

Send him back to Souths Logan, he is officially done. His attitude and effort is toxic and it affects the rest of the team.

Turps my boy did not have a good night. Wayward passes and some bad options, I mean every man and his dog knows Flegler has dickfingers and was going to drop that at the line. He needs a back up, almost every other team runs a sub for hooker, and he needs one. 55-60 of good Turps far outweighs 80 mins of ordinary Turps just to have another bench forward or half to play 10-15.

Dearden also had a shocker. He’s still a bit gun-shy at times where he stutters as he’s making his play. It’s not fooling anyone and he needs to sell his attack better. Some bad flat passes to Riki too again. I don’t know why it’s still a play we run. We did it with Gillo and it only barely worked sometimes then. Those two need to run a better play because Riki is getting jammed every time.

I’m not writing those guys (T&D) off though as they are still barely a season’s worth of games into their careers. And it’s not their fault that they’re being required to try and match your Cook/Reynolds, Smith/Munsters, Api/Clearys etc. but they are and so it needs to be worked on as best it can as quickly as it can.

We still need better bench rotation. I will not give this point up. We had Lodge, Haas and Pangai all off at the same time. What’s the point? Te’o, Asiata and Flegler did kind of ok, but they’re not at the same level. Your bench is (usually) there to help balance your starting 3. Straight swapping all of them together is just asking for trouble. Flegler needs another season in QCup and to get fit imo but is just like other players on overs, they’re almost forced to be picked just on sunk-cost. When Carrigan comes back, he takes his bench spot and plays 40mins maximum

The backs in Isaako and Coates with their hitups it’s easy to see why they get belted. They run too upright. Their centre of gravity is way up there and they get hammered. Herbie for example is head down, stay low and go through and it works.

There are so many fundamental basics that are missing in too many players. And sure they’re young and shouldn’t have been playing until probably even next year let alone season before last, but I ask what do they do in preseason and at training? How or why are these shortcomings not being addressed?

Kevvie needs to drop Milford, even though yes that means Croft, because it needs to be done. Same with Glenn. Get rid of them, send them back to QCup for training, get them out of the playing group for a couple of weeks at least.

Now dropping our two most-capped players in a team that has a lack of experience may sound a bit like cutting off your nose, but it will force the team to run the team. I said in another thread that for Turpin and Dearden (or Croft) to be effective, they need to know who’s running the team. At the moment, it’s apparently Milford, because it’s Milford and he’s seemingly undroppable, not because he’s the right person or the best person. Then you have the 3 halves situation, who guess what, are all different, so the team has to try and adapt week-on-week to who’s playing where and for 10-15 mins every week in-game.

I don’t care if we happen to lose every game for the rest of this season, I just want to see the team playing and working better, because we definitely have the players to do it. We don’t have the marquees to be relatively successful, but we do have good enough players to be better than the 1 to 3 wins we may get for the season, even with the fucked draw that we have, and better than getting ~40pts put on us every other week.

I am keen to know precisely what you mean when you say "... but it will force the team to run the team." Can you please kindly explain the mechanics of this. How will this pan out? How will the team run the team with or without Milford and Glenn?

As for Milford, he doesn't run the team. He was never bought to run anything. He was bought to play make, to create opportunities, or take those created for him, which in this side, and for the last 2-3 years amount to zilch. Milford is our only experienced play maker. Dearden and Croft are boys playing men and Isaako needs at least another year to come into his own as FB, like hunting behind and on both sides of the scrum and actually combining with his playmakers. He might also have a look at Paps's support play.

No one player is to blame for any of this shit, and this vitriol against Milford is getting really BORING. The whole team sucks in so many areas which you actually pinpoint well until you derail your thinking with the Milford vitriol. No single individual in this side s going to make a difference to the teams's overall performance, until and unless we get a CS9 type organiser and leader and a decent spine player, or 2 if Milford goes this year.

Walters simply has to work the basics and persist with a settled side, then at year's end, assess who stays and who goes, and who we recruit after years and years of utter neglect.

I am keen to know precisely what you mean when you say "... but it will force the team to run the team." Can you please kindly explain the mechanics of this. How will this pan out? How will the team run the team with or without Milford and Glenn?

As for Milford, he doesn't run the team. He was never bought to run anything. He was bought to play make, to create opportunities, or take those created for him, which in this side, and for the last 2-3 years amount to zilch. Milford is our only experienced play maker. Dearden and Croft are boys playing men and Isaako needs at least another year to come into his own as FB, like hunting behind and on both sides of the scrum and actually combining with his playmakers. He might also have a look at Paps's support play.

No one player is to blame for any of this shit, and this vitriol against Milford is getting really BORING. The whole team sucks in so many areas which you actually pinpoint well until you derail your thinking with the Milford vitriol. No single individual in this side s going to make a difference to the teams's overall performance, until and unless we get a CS9 type organiser and leader and a decent spine player, or 2 if Milford goes this year.

Walters simply has to work the basics and persist with a settled side, then at year's end, assess who stays and who goes, and who we recruit after years and years of utter neglect.
Essentially, I believe that at least on the field, we still run the team through Milford, and we have the most uninspiring captain in Glenn in the sheds.

Remove those two and see who naturally steps up and leads the team, see if there’s more variation in attack because they don’t either subconsciously or actively think ‘we have to go to Milf’

At this stage, it wouldn’t result in a worse team or performance imo.

the Milford hate may be getting boring, but it’s warranted, just like it was with Boyd.

All we hear is milford cant do shit and cant do it all himself, well look at the ***** he has supporting him **** me dead

All we hear is milford cant do shit and cant do it all himself, well look at the ***** he has supporting him **** me dead
Thats true but he needs to lead like he did in the first half of the parra game, he shows glimpses but that's it. He needs to be that guy every game, at least support his team mates when he's off. I would love Milford to turn his form around but I just don't think he has that will to do whats needed.

Deardon isn't ready, Croft can't execute and we'll look past any expensive halves which come up.

I have an inkling that we'll end up re-signing Milf on a lower and shorter contract and then try him at 7 with Staggs at 6.
If we do that it is $300,000 on a 1 year deal maximum or there’s the door.

Milford has zero power in negotiations this time around. If the club had any clue, they should be throwing the kitchen sink at Adam Reynolds and Brendon Smith and build the team around those 2. Only then will things start to turn.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Jazza
  • sooticus
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • johnny plath
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Nerd
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Tmac
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.