PRE-GAME [Round 6, 2024] Broncos vs Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the game where madden truly shows whether he is a good candidate for 2026 in my eyes.

So far he has had 2 wins and 4 losses.

2 of those losses were against Penrith with depleted sides, 1 against the storm with a reserve grade side and the other 1 we had no haas and he was playing 5/8th when souffs were on a huge role to start the year last year. I wouldn't say last chance bcos of the reasons in the 4 losses, but if he doesn't play well the hierarchy will need to make sure there is a plan b and have the guns loaded to hit the market for a bargain if they don't think black will be ready.

Curious what you all think about this? Lot of unreasonable pressure being put on young bloke through posts like this

Curious what you all think about this? Lot of unreasonable pressure being put on young bloke through posts like this

In essence it's a fair call, but when you pull on a jersey at NRL level, a certain amount of expectation does come with that. The sort of player that will turn out to be another Thurston or another Locky or another Reynolds is the one that prepares ahead for that expectation, and milks every ounce of his talent out of himself that he can muster at such a young age.

You look at the way Madden plays (or Dylan Brown or Tanah Boyd or Lachie Illias if you want to go there) and you wonder what the hell it is they do at training all week. General play kicks? Shithouse. Organization? Mediocre at best. Defensively they're just like any other half, most of the time they're a speed bump so whatever. Oh but he can run the ball right? Nah, he'll get snapped in half in a second.

Like at some stage you have to be showing at least one redeeming quality that people can point at and say "that suggests he has something to build on". Sometimes they just don't have it.

In essence it's a fair call, but when you pull on a jersey at NRL level, a certain amount of expectation does come with that. The sort of player that will turn out to be another Thurston or another Locky or another Reynolds is the one that prepares ahead for that expectation, and milks every ounce of his talent out of himself that he can muster at such a young age.

You look at the way Madden plays (or Dylan Brown or Tanah Boyd or Lachie Illias if you want to go there) and you wonder what the hell it is they do at training all week. General play kicks? Shithouse. Organization? Mediocre at best. Defensively they're just like any other half, most of the time they're a speed bump so whatever. Oh but he can run the ball right? Nah, he'll get snapped in half in a second.

Like at some stage you have to be showing at least one redeeming quality that people can point at and say "that suggests he has something to build on". Sometimes they just don't have it.

I respectfully disagree with Johns. Household name halves didn't magically blossom at 30-odd; they started out cocky and freakish, got progressively slower (and less arsey) and ended up wise and calculating. Kicking smarts tend to come with wisdom. Johns himself was a typical example.

I'm luke warm on Madden because he hasn't shown any of the freak I'd like to see from a young(ish) half. He's already at the slowing down phase. If they're not freakish like Alf, Benji, Thurston and Johns young, they need a maturity well beyond their years, that preempts wisdom. Dearden comes to mind there. Madden is reasonably safe. I'll give him that.

Typo there Fitzy ...
Maybe I want Oates playing wing and bench simultaneously….

Yeah my bad I did mean Mariner. Funnily enough I was brainstorming ways to leave him out of my side and he ended up sneaking a starting spot in.

Best realistic team

Dropping Baker for Willison. No explanation needed. Probably won't happen.
Madden, because can't fight City Hall
Ditto Billy at 9
Oates to start, then some juggling with Sailor

Even with Madden, this should still trounce Dolphins:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Oates
6. Mam
7. Madden
8. Jenson
9. Walters
10. Willison
11. Hunt
12. Riki
13. Carrigan (c)

14. Smoothy
15. Te Kura
16. Hetherington
17. Sailor

18. Baker

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Oates
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. Te Kura/Oates

I think the next few weeks will prove this is our best side. Think Te Kura at 17 would be the better player but Oates at 17 is safer.
The full team to be feared.

EvSo looks like Walsh is back this week,
What have we got next?
Willison- R6?
Piakura- 2 more weeks?-R8
Haas- 2 more weeks?-R8
Reyno- 2 weeks?- R8
Mariner- 4 weeks- R9
Round 9 we might be back to full strength
Round 8 sorry that is the round we play my mum's pussies aka Wests Tigers
black and white cat GIF

So looks like Walsh is back this week,
What have we got next?
Willison- R6?
Piakura- 2 more weeks?-R8
Haas- 2 more weeks?-R8
Reyno- 2 weeks?- R8
Mariner- 4 weeks- R9
Round 9 we might be back to full strength
So say wins against the Dolphins and Tigers and a loss to the Raiders, Brisbane would be 4 from 4 going into round 9. That'd be fine given the injuries and the toughest stretch of the Broncos draw would be over with. Really can't drop either of the Dolphins/Tigers games though.

I love the idea of hoeter on the bench at some point while we have a shortage of backrowers. He's a good defender and could defend on the edge and centre easily for us.

So say wins against the Dolphins and Tigers and a loss to the Raiders, Brisbane would be 4 from 4 going into round 9. That'd be fine given the injuries and the toughest stretch of the Broncos draw would be over with. Really can't drop either of the Dolphins/Tigers games though.
What makes you think we will lose to Faders? They have been pretty ordinary to start the season and when facing good teams they have been blown off the park.

That being said I am glad we are playing Canberra in Canberra now and not in the middle of winter. lol

That being said I am glad we are playing Canberra in Canberra now and not in the middle of winter. lol
I know that it's automatic to see that we're playing Canberra and immediately assume we're only playing them once, in Canberra at night in winter... and sometimes during origin... buuuuuut we're actually playing them at Suncorp this time around and dont actually have to travel to Canberra at all this year!!!!

Praise be to the NSWRL footy devils

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.