Round 6 Discussion

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater but the Raiders need to start making alterations to their side. I'd give Simonsson a spell and give somebody else a shot on the end of the backline. They should also abandon the dual hooker bench rotation and bring an extra forward in.

Start with that and over time make a decision on guys like Croker, Scott, Rapana etc. I thought Kris was very unlucky to be dropped when he was. So far he's been one of the Raiders best in 2021. I'd put Hudson Young, Ryan Sutton and Josh Papalii on that list as well with Joseph Tapine thereabouts.
I was very surprised to see Kris dropped. He’s looked a very likely customer in attack and at times was their best option in attack.

I think their forwards are a little off... Ricky seems to have favourites with his forwards and I’ve felt he basically wants a team of fullbacks and second rowers.

To me Tapine doesn’t really fit the modern lock... perhaps he’d be better served as a dedicated 2nd rower, but I’m not sure he would make it there.

Whitehead remains a great player for them, along with Papa. Hudson Young is going ok, but he’s no Bateman. A guy like CHN brings something different, but Ricky hasn’t bothered to use him since he arrived (also been no word on his suspension for being 3x over the limit on a dui).

I agree that their backline has become stale very quickly. Rapana was always a risk given his age and time in rugby, but Croker appears to be their Glenn where he is entirely reliant on the inside men to create something for him and even then he may not finish it off.

Scott hasn’t really kicked on at any point and Simmonssen seems lost in league (think he was a rugby 7’s player??).

It would appear a rebuild is on the cards and it’s only their spine and mentality that is keeping them in games

Riddle me this, Reynolds goes for a field goal inside 2 minutes to go misses, there was no call on the play apart from 20m tap but he challenges the refs (non) decision for a high shot, which there wasn’t.

How does that work? Could we have challenged deardens very late and very high shot? that went un fucking punished but looks like he’ll get three weeks.......sorry got side tracked, I thought you could only challenge a decision that was made by the referee?

Riddle me this, Reynolds goes for a field goal inside 2 minutes to go misses, there was no call on the play apart from 20m tap but he challenges the refs (non) decision for a high shot, which there wasn’t.

How does that work? Could we have challenged deardens very late and very high shot? that went un fucking punished but looks like he’ll get three weeks.......sorry got side tracked, I thought you could only challenge a decision that was made by the referee?
Souths had a break in play from the 20m tap to be able to challenge, whereas Penrith caught the ball and played on when Dearden had his head taken off... so no break in play to call for the challenge

Souths had a break in play from the 20m tap to be able to challenge, whereas Penrith caught the ball and played on when Dearden had his head taken off... so no break in play to call for the challenge
Could we wait until a break in play?

He didn't challenge the high shot, he challenged the call of missed field goal, because he knew in the process they'd have to look at the high shot.

Wish our captain knew what a captain's challenge was.

Normally, no but then the way the rules are/aren't applied depends on if you are a favoured team in general or not.
That was a shocking decision to not award a penalty there. Hopefully people outside of brisbane start to see this shit for what it’s worth. Every tackle after a kick or a pass has been so heavily scrutinised in the last 5 years and yet they decide not to call that one when I they saw it live and on replay.

No dramas

He didn't challenge the high shot, he challenged the call of missed field goal, because he knew in the process they'd have to look at the high shot.

Wish our captain knew what a captain's challenge was.
I’m pretty sure the ref said the shot offer the kick, I could be wrong and that is very smart from him if it is the case.

I’m pretty sure the ref said the shot offer the kick, I could be wrong and that is very smart from him if it is the case.
I think it was specifically stated that a high shot, etc. couldn’t be challenged when it came in.

I think they anticipated players just challenging high shots all game and excluded it early.

of course when a NSWRL favourite comes into play all rules basically go out the window,... but my understanding is that they should never have looked at the shot on Reynolds in the context of the challenge anyway

Could we wait until a break in play?
Nah... challenge can only come on the play that it occurs and only if it causes a break in play.

it’s why it can be exploited or manipulated by the ref.... if a strip happens but the defending team picks it up and the ref calls play on, then no challenge can occur.

Nah... challenge can only come on the play that it occurs and only if it causes a break in play.

it’s why it can be exploited or manipulated by the ref.... if a strip happens but the defending team picks it up and the ref calls play on, then no challenge can occur.
That’s what I thought. Just like when a panthers player knocks on and dearden picks up and goes to score but the ref is like nahhh I said it’s a dead play...let’s not check it after the you score.

That’s what I thought. Just like when a panthers player knocks on and dearden picks up and goes to score but the ref is like nahhh I said it’s a dead play...let’s not check it after the you score.
Bad autocorrect in there 😂 sorry.

My point about all of this is that the refs are using random discrepancy, Souths score a try in overtime but the ref lets it play on and a player runs the length of the field to then get it all checked, yet when dearden goes to score a try off a clear knock on 10m from the try line he stops play.

So you are free to try and rip your opponents head off just make sure that your backs catch the ball?

Man I love Vlandoball.

The only solution is to lay down and milk it for all its worth. Force the ref to call a break in play so it can be checked.
The ref won’t do that for a Broncos player though, would be more likely to pick him up himself and tell him to stop being a wuss.

The only solution is to lay down and milk it for all its worth. Force the ref to call a break in play so it can be checked.
I think us and the Raiders are the only teams that have resisted the temptation to act like soccer players.

I’m so over the Oscar winning performances of some of the soft shits running around today.

I think us and the Raiders are the only teams that have resisted the temptation to act like soccer players.

I’m so over the Oscar winning performances of some of the soft shits running around today.
No. The Raiders do it

How bad was Burton's on Thursday night? Bloke will be playing the lead part in the next Scorsese movie.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.