Round 7 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

That ability to know which moment is the correct one to throw the pass was exemplified with Reeds pass to Barba. Makes me think I'd prefer Reed to Hoffman at 5/8. Although Reed has not been spectacular he has convinced me he reads the game well. He seems to have a good short kicking game ,pretty good hands, fair speed and as I said, good vision.

Parker at lock works because he isn't getting the shit knocked out of him. He was always going to try to offload wherever he plays. Let this be the first of many games back where he belongs. He is the only Dally M winner from 2013 playing out of position. Hook must think he knows better than all the other coaches of the Dally M winners of last year.

I thought Granville's injection, however limited was a good addition, kept the momentum going in McCullough's absence.

This selection has really got me thinking ???

Hook could've played another backrower (Lowrie) on the bench like he's always done, but maybe now he feels the need to throw another playmaker into the mix.

Macca has proved he can be an 80 minute player, but Hook decided to take him off and replace him with Granville anyway ???

Hopefully this will lead to more game/bench time for Granville as i believe he offers us so much when he comes on. His darts from dummyhalf, in his limited time last night, were excellent.

Really happy with the win. I wasn't impressed with the team named but I don't watch games hoping they play bad to prove my point. I am most pleased for Griffin. He stuck to his guns and picked the same team and they finally stood up and rewarded the faith he put in them. Anything less than a comprehensive win would not have been enough last night.

The positional changes (Kennedy starting etc) and Granville on the bench did wonders. McCullough was definitely better after having a little spell and we lost nothing with Granville coming on. In fact, they were both involved in our last two tries and it was good to see us have the juice to put a side away.

Pleasing signs. I guess it's back to spinning the wheel as to what side will show up next week.

Granville HAS to be there for the Souths game.

His darts from dummyhalf against the big Souths forwards will be unvaluable late in each half.

Foxsportsstats.com.au. Tbh I didn't notice it in the game so it may have been a glitch, they are the ones responsible for the fantasy points...

Defense won it, they showed some real desperation on our line holding them up a handful of times, they did let them back in the game for a part there and fought back to finally run away with a game.

Wallace impressed i thought, some nice runs and created some opportunities with a couple of offloads, he always seems good for a penalty though.

Macca and Hunt are playing confident, they are playing like leaders now, hunt finally seems settled as if he believes he belongs there now.

McGuire had his best game of the season.

Gillett and Parker showed their class.

Last edited:
No tries for our boy Barba in 2014?

No worries, give Uncle Wayne a call.

25q5dl5.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Houston looks like a old man? Fair dinkum, every time I see him, I think he wouldn't look out of place in the Wiggles.

+1, the play died with him plenty of times too.

We bag Griffin for not dropping people but Gidley, Houston and Boyd have been atrocious for them.

Someone elsewhere made a good point, Parker's offloads are extra awesome because they are late, once the defence has already gone back. It's like an extra tackle.

Probably overrated Gillett's defence too a bit, Hunt had to clean up after him and Hodges a good half a dozen times (and did a fantastic job).

This selection has really got me thinking ???

Hook could've played another backrower (Lowrie) on the bench like he's always done, but maybe now he feels the need to throw another playmaker into the mix.

Macca has proved he can be an 80 minute player, but Hook decided to take him off and replace him with Granville anyway ???

Hopefully this will lead to more game/bench time for Granville as i believe he offers us so much when he comes on. His darts from dummyhalf, in his limited time last night, were excellent.

It really comes down to the balance of the side in the end, as you say McCullough finally has proven his finally capable of the 80 minutes you demand from a quality hooker which is great, but Granville showed last night there's potential to have an impact dummy half off the bench who can be brought in to keep or increase momentum with his quick running from dummy half.

Question is that leaves 3 positions on the bench, 2 props and a back rower I would think. Ideally we would want Parker to go to lock so one of the backrower's will drop to the bench, at this stage I would say Glenn. One of Kennedy and Hannant will start, that would leave another prop spot open, give it to Wallace, his done well in his stints and I would like to see more of him.

As for Hoffman, this is a tough one, I desire nothing more then to see him out of 5/8th, I don't blame him for being there, I blame the insistence of playing him there when clearly after 7 rounds his holding back our attacking options his side. Do we move him onto the wing? Perhaps, though it's hard to justify when both are performing so well. I don't think moving him into the centre position fixes the situation anymore either, his outside man or inside for that matter will miss opportunities from one who best uses the player's around him. So what to do with him? Fullback for this season I'm afraid, switch Hoffman and Barba around, not ideal from an attacking perspective for Hoffman, but at least you will get the best from him on kick returns and Barba will provide us with a 5/8th best able to create opportunities around him.

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Glenn
16. Kennedy
17. Wallace

Last edited:
Agree with everything except the defending part. That second Knights try, he was in prime position to stop that big bloke and he came up with a soft swing at the legs.

I know its hard to believe... but the knights only scored 1 Try so it couldn't have been their second try?

J. Wallace deserves a lot more credit than he is getting. That was the best I've seen him play. Perhaps being an 80 minute bench warmer on a couple of occasions has motivated him to work harder so that he demands game time. He was full of energy, and showed desire, hunger and intent during the time he was out there. He really changed the momentum with quality hit-ups and some great offloads. He really carried the ball strongly and created quite a bit of room for the likes of McCullough to capitalise off of. I noticed him passing as well. Some ball movement from the forwards was good to see.

Granville was also great. I think he needs more game time in the NRL. He probably isn't exactly accustomed to first grade right now as that was only his third game, but with more game time, he has a lot to offer. He is one of those players that is way too good for the ISC, but through lack of NRL games is not quite a regular, consistent NRL player yet. With a few more consecutive appearances in the top grade, he'll make the transition into a full time NRL player. His speed out of dummy half is immense. It really creates space from which we can attack from as it forces the opposition on the back foot. With the new rule changes, he is the ideal strike weapon off the bench.

I must say, the team is alot more dynamic with Granville and Wallace, and they'll only get better with game time. I actually enjoyed the use of the bench as well. The interchanges I felt we're used at about the correct times, which didn't disrupt any of our momentum, but only continued or improved it.

Last edited:
Granville was also great. I think he needs more game time in the NRL. He probably isn't exactly accustomed to first grade right now as that was only his third game, but with more game time, he has a lot to offer. He is one of those players that is way too good for the ISC, but through lack of NRL games is not quite an NRL player yet. With a few more consecutive appearances in the top grade, he'll make the transition into a full time NRL player. His speed out of dummy half is immense. It really creates space from which we can attack from as it forces the opposition on the back foot. With the new rule changes, he is the ideal strike weapon off the bench.

I keep harping on about it, but I really do want to see both him and McCullough on at the same time after the 55 or so minute mark. Both are excellent dummy half runners, and when you are making 12+ metres a run and getting a quick play the ball, it's more effective than just having someone like Kennedy jog up and make 0 impact. Especially as McGuire seems to be the only main prop who bends the line consistently.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.