Round 8 - Broncos vs Bulldogs - Post Match Discussion

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
I am a fan of Richard's and it is great to see him posting again.
I do have to question the issue of ' depth' in attack though.

If you watch Melbourne, you will see that they play very flat from dummy half and, as I have prattled on for a long time like a broken record ( ask your Grandparents ), they do it best.

Decoy plays from dummy half are far more effective at the line than deep - eg 5 metres from the line. Done at the line, it creates confusion and stops the multis in the tackles.

A guy who gets the ball deep is a sitting duck and it allows the defense to identify the ball recipient and then gets the troops on him.

The style that Griffin has employed suits the flat plays from dummy half.
I believe this is a better alternative than depth, for the sake of it, in attack.

Check the Storm out - especially plays 1-4.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Raw Boned Youngster said:
I am a fan of Richard's and it is great to see him posting again.
I do have to question the issue of ' depth' in attack though.

If you watch Melbourne, you will see that they play very flat from dummy half and, as I have prattled on for a long time like a broken record ( ask your Grandparents ), they do it best.

Decoy plays from dummy half are far more effective at the line than deep - eg 5 metres from the line. Done at the line, it creates confusion and stops the multis in the tackles.

A guy who gets the ball deep is a sitting duck and it allows the defense to identify the ball recipient and then gets the troops on him.

The style that Griffin has employed suits the flat plays from dummy half.
I believe this is a better alternative than depth, for the sake of it, in attack.

Check the Storm out - especially plays 1-4.

Hi RBY.

My point about depth is based on plays largely well away from the line, and is of course pointless without players in support.

Football is a game of space, as much as clever angled decoy running close to the line.

Looking at either side of our attack, we have extremely potent attacking weapons. Give Hodges or Yow Yeh the ball at speed with say 5m of clear space in most field positions and it will lead either to a try or try assist 8 our of ten times.

Look at the way the Dragons use Gasnier and Cooper. I cannot see any defence containing Hodges or Yow Yeh if they are running at speed with space ... and someone in support.

We rarely do that, and it severely limits our attacking options.

As for flat plays close to the ruck/decoy plays from dummy half.... well, we need a decent dummy half for that.

It's usually Lockyer who directs that sort of action. Like I said before, we really only have 2 playmakers from dummy half: Lockyer and Wallace.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
RBY: you might find the Storm are able to employ such a style as they have Smith who takes the correct option time after time. He rarely ever puts his ball carriers under pressure. Another feature is the amount of off the ball work the Storm players do. There are always multiple bodies in motion giving Smith a choice and keeping the defense non-commital. You have to play to your strengths and this is not ours IMO. Macca and Hunt don't have the ability to make these decisions (who does when compared to Smith?)

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I was away on the weekend so didn't get to watch the sunday footy show and sunday roast and various other post mortems...I can't believe they're going on about the Beale try. Wallace deadset knocked back if anything. They seem to have this issue that Wallace ended up behind the ball...forgetting the fact he was pushed backwards.

Kevin Moore, what a sook.

Unread

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Bish
  • rnabokov
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • The Don
  • Robboi_321
  • thenry
  • BroncoFan94
  • Accept
  • Painin the Haas
  • broncos4life
  • MrRobot
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.