PRE-GAME Round 8 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Definitely the best performance of the year, however the sharks did have a lot out and losing SJ early didn't help. Bit disappointed with our second half.

Nikorima again threw several dud / suicide balls which led to errors, wasn't great in defence, and didn't do any kicking.

In terms of changes. I'd be tempted to play Dearden at 14 at the expense of staggs. He's been good, but I think having Dearden on bench, put him on the field at about 50-55 minute mark, move nikorima to hooker and give Macca a break. Gives Dearden a shot at first grade and a bit of experience, and also would show Macca and Nikorima that they need to be on their game.

Carrigan will probably have to wait until there's an injury. I dunno how he breaks into the full strength side right now, unless Flegler starts to go downhill somehow. Maybe next year if we lose some players like TPJ?.

I actually dont see how we can compete financially to keep TPJ and Oates, and quite honestly, i think we will have a harder time replacing Oates.

I actually dont see how we can compete financially to keep TPJ and Oates, and quite honestly, i think we will have a harder time replacing Oates.
Just get some big Fijian for minimum wage. Everyone else does it.

We surely have the money. We released Kahu and McGuire this year after the season started. We have most people signed up long term. I don't know if we will keep Offa though, but of the three, he's the least needed imo. Oates is rocks and diamonds. Does have pretty poor hands for a winger, and if he's wanting 500-600k, perhaps we would be better off getting a Fijian or something and just teaching them to run hard and catch.

I still get the feeling that Boyd might not play next year. Just get that vibe.

We surely have the money. We released Kahu and McGuire this year after the season started. We have most people signed up long term. I don't know if we will keep Offa though, but of the three, he's the least needed imo. Oates is rocks and diamonds. Does have pretty poor hands for a winger, and if he's wanting 500-600k, perhaps we would be better off getting a Fijian or something and just teaching them to run hard and catch.

I still get the feeling that Boyd might not play next year. Just get that vibe.

That money has or will be gone elsewhere. We are also still paying for Moose until the end of his contract. We just dont have a lot of room to play with and even with that cash we will struggle to keep TPJ, Oates and Joffa.

I dont see that many Fijian wingers going around in the NRL quite honestly that have the impact Oates does. The grub at Melbourne is about the only one.

Last edited:
We have Glenn, Offa, Oates, TPJ, Flegler off contract this year who are regularly playing.

Oates and TPJ both signed decent 1 year deals for this year. They aren't on nothing.

Glenn would likely be taking unders, and would likely take the same / less than what he is currently on.

TPJ id look at around 600-700. If he wants more than that I wouldn't be interested. Also every thing I've seen him post and interviews and stuff he seems to have no interest in ever leaving the Broncos so I'd be shocked if he left.

Oates, he's a good winner and gets good metres, but fergo is better and he's on 600k so anything more than 500k for Oates is too much imo.

Flegler will attract some interest, but we have given him a run and im sure with this pack he'd be keen to stick around.

Offa is the one out of those that id be willing to lose. He's decent, but he never really had a proper breakout year. I think we have better options and if we had to lose someone, I'd probably vote him.

How are we paying for Moose? The contract he signed was worth more than what we were giving him.

And where did that money go?

Everyone was already signed?

We are subsidising his contract. We made the move to shift him out, so we are chipping in for his contract. We did upgrade some of the younger guys, Carrigan was defiantly one of them, cant think of who else and i cant be arsed looking, but we also bought in Kennar, Perese, and Fensom, and renewed Tagatese. Not huge contracts, but still money. Thats not including SoS, TPJ and Oates renewals plus the massive Haas contract.

Last edited:
We are subsidising his contract. We made the move to shift him out, so we are chipping in for his contract. We did upgrade some of the younger guys, Carrigan was defiantly one of them, cant think of who else and i cant be arsed looking, but we also bought in Kennar, Perese, and Fensom, and renewed Tagatese. Not huge contracts, but still money. Thats not including SoS, TPJ and Oates renewals plus the massive Haas contract.

White said we agreed to release him because he got a better contract. I really don't think we would be stupid enough to subsidise it. We very rarely, if ever, do that. He was on like 500k with us and signed for 650k with them.

Perese, Kennar and Fensom would all be on near nothing. Fensom is also only a 1 year deal so doesn't impact next year anyway.

We definitely have cash. I fully suspect all four of those players to be renewed, with Offa being the only one who will maybe miss out.

If Roberts really does want out, I'd be keen to release Roberts with them paying full contract, and see if they would give us Allan. Then move Boyd to centre / wing.

That money has or will be gone elsewhere. We are also still paying for Moose until the end of his contract. We just dont have a lot of room to play with and even with that cash we will struggle to keep TPJ, Oates and Joffa.

I dont see that many Fijian wingers going around in the NRL quite honestly that have the impact Oates does. The grub at Melbourne is about the only one.

I don't think we are ?

Definitely the best performance of the year, however the sharks did have a lot out and losing SJ early didn't help. Bit disappointed with our second half.

Nikorima again threw several dud / suicide balls which led to errors, wasn't great in defence, and didn't do any kicking.

In terms of changes. I'd be tempted to play Dearden at 14 at the expense of staggs. He's been good, but I think having Dearden on bench, put him on the field at about 50-55 minute mark, move nikorima to hooker and give Macca a break. Gives Dearden a shot at first grade and a bit of experience, and also would show Macca and Nikorima that they need to be on their game.
I think they are looking at Paix as the future hooker so you might see a bit of him at 14 soon

We have Glenn, Offa, Oates, TPJ, Flegler off contract this year who are regularly playing.

Oates and TPJ both signed decent 1 year deals for this year. They aren't on nothing.

Glenn would likely be taking unders, and would likely take the same / less than what he is currently on.

TPJ id look at around 600-700. If he wants more than that I wouldn't be interested. Also every thing I've seen him post and interviews and stuff he seems to have no interest in ever leaving the Broncos so I'd be shocked if he left.

Oates, he's a good winner and gets good metres, but fergo is better and he's on 600k so anything more than 500k for Oates is too much imo.

Flegler will attract some interest, but we have given him a run and im sure with this pack he'd be keen to stick around.

Offa is the one out of those that id be willing to lose. He's decent, but he never really had a proper breakout year. I think we have better options and if we had to lose someone, I'd probably vote him.

Sign Oates, TPJ and Flegler to lucrative long term deals, and offer Glenn and Offa "take it or leave it" 1 year deals worth a modest fee. It's not like any other club is gonna be kicking their door down to poach them for anything more than that. The first 3 on the other hand...

I’m sure I read somewhere recently we were entering contract talks with both these players in coming weeks. Love to see both stay.

If everything lines up well we have a chance of breaking into the top 8 with a healthy win with this game. It would be a surprising turn around all things considered.
I'd be happy seeing two, good structured games in a row. I would like to see our forwards repeat their effort with the same direct running.
Milford was outstanding in the first half but was quiet for most of the second, and we appeared lost at times consequently. It was up to Knik to step in at that point, but he still lacks the authority to do so.
We still made some simple errors (mainly the backs), and towards the end our defence became fragile but overall it was very good.
I think the running closer to the ruck initially helped, and Bird gave some "X factor" in attack to break up our otherwise predictable backline moves. Both he and TPJ have done so in games to great effect those jinking runs across the field. Haas's early running was phenomenal in all that, along with Oates. Big players winding up and running from deep is always a good site.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • barker
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • broncotville
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.