11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Croft (Back up hooker only)
15. Oates
16. Kennedy
17. Ofahengaue
The only reasonable option

As I said in the other thread, I can almost guarantee Richie Kennar will be in the side this week. Seibs even mentioned him in the post-game presser.

We are desperate for outside backs who can reliably make positive runs out of our own end, luckily for Kennar that's about his only good attribute, so he might get a crack.

I genuinely regret us losing Shibasaki, he would be so much better for us than Boyd at the moment, despite how awful his hands are. Guess what he's capable for doing? Getting metres out of trouble.

(21 runs for 162 metres yesterday)

So the rookie fullback had a 'solid' game and been named for a week again. I must have had my ignore-mediocrity glasses off when watching.
Bombed a try, shaky af under the high ball, a gift intercept try...I shudder to imagine the pages of comments shredding him to bits if his name had been Isaako.
FMD, fans have become just as tunnel visioned as our award winning rookie coach.

I'd like to see Farnworth at FB with Niu in the centres. However, Boyd won't be dropped and he was ok tonight so it would be a joke to see our best strike player in the backs shoved out to the wing. He has too many skills we need at FB for mine. Tesi is still too young to take on FB. Herbie's football brain is what a good FB needs, and we need a good FB urgently, someone with the brains to connect with the halves and hang around the ruck looking for the ball.

I'm sure Herbie's instincts would make that happen. He is seriously all class

It's a risky move, he's never played there in his Queensland Cup career- his best football over the last two years have been on the wing, he doesn't have a passing game and he doesn't kick. He's very similar to Tate, he needs to just run and make ground. I don't think he did that well last night but on the whole that's his game. I don't think a fullback can get by anymore just making some ground from kicks.

I agree with Niu at centre that's what I have said all along.

Last edited:
So the rookie fullback had a 'solid' game and been named for a week again. I must have had my ignore-mediocrity glasses off when watching.
Bombed a try, shaky af under the high ball, a gift intercept try...I shudder to imagine the pages of comments shredding him to bits if his name had been Isaako.
FMD, fans have become just as tunnel visioned as our award winning rookie coach.

I think most people are pretty level headed and aren’t prepared to throw a rookie under the bus after one game. To each their own I guess.

the Titanic slowly continues to sink......while the deck chairs receive their weekly rotation.....noting the big picture hasn't change one iota...

Big changes? In this squad? When you don't have the cattle, changes are pointless. And when you have a team who lack talent and motivation, then a playoff spot is a pipe dream.
A change of coach, Dearden into the halves, and dropping 2 experienced but washed up players in Boyd and Oates is what I would call big changes. All are completely doable with this squad.

When Luke did a one on one steal and then the very next play Oates loses the ball in a hit up i absolutely lost my shit. My wife had to close the balcony door as she said the expletives could be heard across the road.

I used to love the big affable bastard and some of the tries he scored were insane. Now, all he's doing is fucking up my blood pressure and my relationship with my neighbours. Instead of resting Isaako it should have been Oates. He's seriously lacking something at the moment.

It's a risky move, he's never played there in his Queensland Cup career- his best football over the last two years have been on the wing, he doesn't have a passing game and he doesn't kick. He's very similar to Tate, he needs to just run and make ground. I don't think he did that well last night but on the whole that's his game. I don't think a fullback can get by anymore just making some ground from kicks.

I agree with Niu at centre that's what I have said all along.

Well, Tedesco started on the wing, and went to FB much later. I can see, as you posted once, that Herbie has a genuine football brain and having that is what it takes to adapt. He also has a soccer background, and can kick goals so there is something in his skill set that deals with kicking. I still think he would be a good choice. His speed and running game makes a good foundation and he would need of course to show some ability to pass and kick. Worth a try for mine.

What other options do we have? Your comment about passing and kicking, that also applies to Isaako. As for Tesi, throwing him into the deep end was a bit early. I'd rather him on the wing or in the centres to start with for the rest of this season. Wing is where Tedesco played honing his skills. I just wonder if Farnworth should be given the same chance.
[automerge]1593303488[/automerge]
When Luke did a one on one steal and then the very next play Oates loses the ball in a hit up i absolutely lost my shit. My wife had to close the balcony door as she said the expletives could be heard across the road.

I used to love the big affable bastard and some of the tries he scored were insane. Now, all he's doing is fucking up my blood pressure and my relationship with my neighbours. Instead of resting Isaako it should have been Oates. He's seriously lacking something at the moment.

I reckon Oates's heart is no longer on the wing, it's in the back row. He should be part of our back row rotation. Or dropped.

Last edited:
I reckon Oates's heart is no longer on the wing, it's in the back row. He should be part of our back row rotation. Or dropped.

I agree.

He just seems to have forgotten how to do the basic things right as a winger.

He really has lost the plot at the moment and doesn't give the side anything from the wing anymore.

I think I’ve found my twin!

I agree.

He just seems to have forgotten how to do the basic things right as a winger.

He really has lost the plot at the moment and doesn't give the side anything from the wing anymore.

It’s as though Oates put in the effort on the wing to make a name for himself and with the goal of moving to the back row. Now he’s not getting what he wants so he’s thrown his toys out. He should definitely be shopped around if backrow isn’t what we can offer him.

piss Croft off it's time for Brigginshaw to get her chance.

I don't think pissing Croft off is any solution. For starters, neither he nor Milford can do much when the structures and shapes just aren't being implemented.

If you look at Croft's game, right at the start, when some optimism on my part appeared (briefly) he was set up TPJ with a nice pass as 1st receiver which led to TPJ dragging in 2 defenders and his offload put Niu into a hole, Niu who was following in support as a good FB ought to. Farnworth was out wide as was Coates. It was a good shape, it was quality edge play. We almost scored except for Niu's inexperience. It used TPJ's power on the edge to perfect effect.

Thing is, why didn't we replicate that throughout the game? That is what pisses me off. We do know what works but we don't do it enough.

Later, Croft put through a nice short kick behind the line for Herbie to score. Why only 1 kick for the whole game?

It's those things which frustrates me so much aside from our shitty defensive style. We have what it takes only we don't do it often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • NSW stables
  • Bish
  • The Strapper
  • kiwi2
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Waynesaurus
  • Battler
  • Footy Fanatic
  • thenry
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.