PRE-GAME Round 9 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I feel sorry for Jordy.

He is a very talented kid, but the constant injuries have held him back. I can't see him ever playing anywhere else but wing, to be honest. He plays another position and he just gets injured.

Is everyone jumping the gun a bit with Kahu? He may just not feel confident enough in himself yet. No signs he has had a setback with his jaw is there?

Is everyone jumping the gun a bit with Kahu? He may just not feel confident enough in himself yet. No signs he has had a setback with his jaw is there?
Apparently it's just a confidence thing, and not a reinjury. The article I read said he was too hesitant to put his head near a tackle.

Apparently it's just a confidence thing, and not a reinjury. The article I read said he was too hesitant to put his head near a tackle.

It's not a good sign, but its understandable.

Murphyt broncstraining

Broncos reserve grader Todd Murphy hopes to get his shot in light of Josh McGuire’s injury

April 28, 2018

BRONCOS hopeful Todd Murphy has thrown his hand up to be Brisbane’s saviour at No. 9 after years of waiting in the ranks.

While it is believed backrower Alex Glenn could be the favourite to fill the shoes of Josh McGuire (ankle) against the Bulldogs on Thursday, reserve grader Murphy has put his name forward to share the duties with bench utility Kodi Nikorima.

Nikorima publicly stated that he does not think he could play 80 minutes at hooker and suggested Murphy was a potential option for coach Wayne Bennett to consider.

And after leading Brisbane feeder club Norths to a nail biting 18-16 win over Easts on Saturday, Murphy told The Sunday-Mail he would be ready for the job if called upon.

“Of course I’ll put my hand up for it,” Murphy said.

“I just have to play good at Norths and then if that opportunity comes, it comes.

“It’s out of my control. I just have to put my best foot forward here and see how we go.

“I’d love the opportunity but it’s the coach’s call. Whatever Wayne decides is best for the team and I’ll support it whatever way he goes.”

The 27-year-old has been on the brink of an NRL debut for the last few years and was in the frame to be a bench utility ahead of the 2018 season, spending most of pre-season training at hooker.

However, through injury and other factors he is still waiting for a taste of first grade.

Murphy has been a full-time Bronco since 2016, after spending his under-20s years with the club and a season at Cronulla in 2015.

With the vacant No. 9 jersey on his mind, Murphy helped orchestrate a solid win for Norths at Langlands Park.

He threw the pass for Sam Tagataese to score the match-equalling try with just three minutes left on the clock and then kicked the conversion to hand his side the win.

The Murphy and Nikorima combination is one option for Bennett, but Glenn is understood to be the favourite.

Should Glenn move from the second row to hooker, Tagataese is the most likely forward to come into the side.

Murphy said no matter what happens however, he will keep doing his best for Norths.

“There’s always room for improvement,” he said. “I just have to keep learning and moving forward.”

Source: Courier Mail

This SHOULD be our easiest game of the year, and that worries me.

I can't see it. I honestly don't know where this Oates second row business comes from. It's like the fans have heard he wants to play there, so that's that.

He's not shown anything to suggest that he should be playing there.
There's plenty to suggest he would be a very good second rower. He's played there previously and done well for starters, pretty sure he got a last minute try to win us the game against Penrith playing there. He runs great lines, he runs as hard and fast any other backrower I've seen in the comp, and he doesn't shy away from hard work.

I love Oates on the wing but I have no doubt he'd be excellent in the backrow too.

There's plenty to suggest he would be a very good second rower. He's played there previously and done well for starters, pretty sure he got a last minute try to win us the game against Penrith playing there. He runs great lines, he runs as hard and fast any other backrower I've seen in the comp, and he doesn't shy away from hard work.

I love Oates on the wing but I have no doubt he'd be excellent in the backrow too.

I disagree. We've seen him move back there a few times, and he's done absolutely nothing to set the world on fire for mine. I think if he ends up there, it will be running out with someone elses jersey.

My only concern with Oates in the 2nd row is his defence. Attack won’t be a problem

Do you think it might be a question of experience? Maybe with most of a season at centre under his belt Oppa will be dynamite at centre?
As many people have said, I also view Opa as another Jack Reed, which in no way is meant deprecatingly.
He is someone you want in a roster, and undoubtedly experience will lead to improvement, but I don't think he has another level to go to.

I do believe Boyd is our best option at left centre, provided he's physically 100% fit.

He copped a knock and then had a bit of a fright.

I disagree. We've seen him move back there a few times, and he's done absolutely nothing to set the world on fire for mine. I think if he ends up there, it will be running out with someone elses jersey.

Is that maybe because you're used to the brilliance he produces on the wing? Would prefer he stay on the wing 100%, but I think he'd make a fist of backrow

Is that maybe because you're used to the brilliance he produces on the wing? Would prefer he stay on the wing 100%, but I think he'd make a fist of backrow

I will don my flame retardant suit and say that I don't see Oates as a big deal, while I don't want him to leave, I don't think he's worthy of a lot of the praise he gets here.

View attachment 2900

Andrew McCullough set to make shock return for Broncos

April 30, 2018

The Brisbane Broncos' search for a new hooker has taken a fascinating turn with Andrew McCullough targeting a shock comeback on Thursday night.

The Broncos rake was ruled out for four-to-six weeks with an elbow injury suffered in the round six loss to the Melbourne Storm but was back training with Brisbane on Monday morning at dummy half.

With fill-in rake Josh McGuire also out with an ankle injury, the Broncos have a big decision to make for the home clash with Canterbury.

McCullough's chances of being ready will be known tomorrow when Brisbane lists its 21-man squad for the clash. He has missed just two matches thus far.

If he is named, Wednesday's final training session will be the final barrier for him to overcome.

Todd Murphy was also training at dummy half during Monday's session ahead of what could be his NRL debut on Thursday night.

Kodi Nikorima is another option but Broncos forward Alex Glenn said McCullough was still in the frame.

"You never know with Macca," Glenn said.

"He is very eager to get out there. That's' Macca. He doesn't like sitting on the sidelines. It is just great that he is out there throwing the ball around. He looked good for us this morning so he's just got to manage it and see how we go.

"He is a true professional though, and he knows what he has to do off the field to get himself right."

Murphy trained at dummy-half in the pre-season and the 26-year-old appears to be a more realistic chance for Brisbane at this stage.

"Toddy has been with us many years now so we are comfortable with him fitting into the squad if that is the case," Glenn said.

"He knows our plays and structures. It is not like we are throwing him in the deep end and wishing him all the best.

"The fact that he has come in and is training with the squad has given him an opportunity and I am sure he is excited.

"We'll just have to wait and see how Macca goes with his elbow throughout the week. In saying that we have got Kodi there as well who has done the job for us many times."

Sam Thaiday is not likely to be going back to the dummy-half role any time soon and Glenn, who was mentioned in dispatches as a possible candidate, has ruled himself out of the equation.

"Oh... man. Who knows bro'. Who knows," Glenn grinned when asked of his own credentials as a dummy-half.

"It has been a long time since I've gone there, and I've thrown a few hospital passes in my day. If I'm going into hooker we are in a bit of trouble."

Source: NRL.com

What plays and structures? I’d prefer someone who didn’t know how to pass to a forward on every tackle near the line.

because Niko can't handle 80 minutes at hooker ... it takes years to be able to handle the demands of playing hooker for 80 minutes.

BTW Niko even says he can't last at hooker for the full 80
So your solution is to play a front rower there?

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • MrTickyMcG
  • mitch222
  • Foordy
  • MrMoore
  • Behold
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Big Del
  • Volvo Driver
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.