Round 9 - Penrith Panthers - Pre Game discussion

Reed defends 3 in so I would assume he will spend most time in the centres. This is the reason Copley is not there

boo yah!
cant wait to see our fullback sweep play in full motion now with hodges at centre to provide the straight runner
get on whoever is outside Hodges as first try scorer tomorrow night

That would be Maranta.

I can't wait for this game now. Really keen to see how Boyd plays, I'm actually expecting a pretty good performance straight up, so hurry up Friday night!

Just announced on radio that Boyd is starting at fullback. Well let's see what this team can do. Minus Sam, this is full strength.

LACHLAN Maranta says the battle to keep spots is king at the Broncos.This week Maranta and Corey Oates were preferred on the wing to Dale Copley, who will play Queensland Cup on the weekend.
Ultimately today's return from injury of Darius Boyd has pushed Oates back to the bench and Jordan Kahu to the wing.
But the to-ing and fro-ing and the attitude of coach Wayne Bennett to choose players on form has sent a clear message to the team.
There is an internal battle for spots that is bringing out the best in the backline, and Maranta is one of them benefitting from that environment.
"It has got the club in good stead at the moment," said Maranta of the competition for places.
"Everyone is fighting for their position at training and no-one is complacent.
"And everyone is enjoying that competition which is making everyone push themselves to limits they haven't been at.
"I am just enjoying myself a lot more and I am confident in what I am doing.
"I'm back to that stage where I am enjoying playing my football again.
"If you do that it helps you.
"As long as I am doing that there is nothing else I can do."
The Broncos sit atop the NRL ladder but Maranta warned teammates were not getting over confident.
They know how difficult the Panthers will be to toss at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night.
"It is really early and we are not getting ahead of ourselves at the moment," he said.
"But we are enjoying ourselves.
"You look at the names they (Penrith) have got - Matt Moylan is one of the best fullbacks in the game.
"Their forwards are big and they off-load and their outside backs feed of that.
"They are a really good team at the moment."

Internal Battle Driving Broncos - Broncos

States that Oates will make way on the wing for Kahu and go to the bench. Does not mention who drops out, but ya gotta assume Molo?

I'm guessing he means Copley for Reed. Maybe more but there's no way Copley isn't in our best 17.

Care to elaborate?

fine ...

if Reed is the best option we have at left center ... then we need to rush out and sign a new center as a priority.

plus 7 minutes Molo on the bench is another factor that points to us not being at full strength. IMO, at this level you can't carry a player who is only capable of 7 minute stints

no it isn't

Yeah yeah I hear you about selections. My point on full strength is availability. I don't think there will be many weeks with the wear and tear of this game where Wayne will be able to have as many options as he does.

fine ...

if Reed is the best option we have at left center ... then we need to rush out and sign a new center as a priority.

plus 7 minutes Molo on the bench is another factor that points to us not being at full strength. IMO, at this level you can't carry a player who is only capable of 7 minute stints

I'm not arguing with you, i just think it's better to have an open ended discussion than just shut it down with a dismisive comment.

However I would assume with Boyd comming in molo should be out? He would be my choice.

I called it as soon as Bennett signed... Reed is a bennett type player and as such it will take a miracle for him to be dropped

Where you one of the many that also said Stagg and Lowrie would be mainstays in the team?

Bottom line is, this is the first game we've been able to field a "full strength" team. I maintain what I said about Copley being dropped to work on his game. I think Reed is just keeping the spot warm while Copley is gone because Bennett sees him as part of the Broncos future. My opinion of course.

is garbutt injured again? i dont see him on qld cup team lists (maybe just wasnt released back to q cup at time of naming). that said he's probably not in our best 17 anyway.

gavet may also be in our best 17 though if he was fit.

we are going to do it tough in rnd 11 for forwards.

kinda pointless post. ha

Last edited:
Where you one of the many that also said Stagg and Lowrie would be mainstays in the team?

Bottom line is, this is the first game we've been able to field a "full strength" team. I maintain what I said about Copley being dropped to work on his game. I think Reed is just keeping the spot warm while Copley is gone because Bennett sees him as part of the Broncos future. My opinion of course.
I hope you're right mate, because I think Reed, like Maranta, is the type of low risk player Bennett likes, and yes, I was one of the people who said so last season (no, I didn't include Lowrie or Stagg as well :wink:), in the sense that safety and abnegation trump talent and ability. I can't argue against it, as it definitely delivers results, but I don't like how far WB takes it... for example:

I would prefer Vidot to Maranta, but I can totally see why Wayne prefers the opposite and won't criticise him for it.
However, I don't think Reed has been any better than Copley this season, in any aspect, bar one single game, and that is where I cannot agree with this decision.

But if you are right, and this results in Copley coming back a better player, and ends up taking the left centre spot ahead of Reed, I will gladly eat humble pie!

Broncos NRL Player Statistics - NRL.com

I know stats do not tell the whole story but looking at Copley and reed shows double the tackle count and almost double the average running meters gained in reeds favour, from memory they both have 10 or so missed tackles. Reed also has a try to his name and copely has zilch. Copes had a calf strain early in the year and there is a possibility he is still under done or a bit low on confidence. I just cant help but feel there is a real grudge with some people on this forum in regards to reed and this is causing people to blindly attack him. His speed may not be there but I struggle to see how he has not improved under bennet. I was unhappy with him in game one but honestly feel he has played solidly since. Copes had a good year last year but in my opinion has not looked close to that form this year and before anyone calls out the fact he has swapped and changed positions this year the same was true of last except this year he was used defensively as wing and attack at centre until hodges being injured and in my opinion did not take that opportunity to cement the position. Can anyone honestly say based on form right now he did enough to warrant immediate undoubted inclusion in the top 17. My answer is no.

Broncos NRL Player Statistics - NRL.com

I know stats do not tell the whole story but looking at Copley and reed shows double the tackle count and almost double the average running meters gained in reeds favour, from memory they both have 10 or so missed tackles. Reed also has a try to his name and copely has zilch. Copes had a calf strain early in the year and there is a possibility he is still under done or a bit low on confidence. I just cant help but feel there is a real grudge with some people on this forum in regards to reed and this is causing people to blindly attack him. His speed may not be there but I struggle to see how he has not improved under bennet. I was unhappy with him in game one but honestly feel he has played solidly since. Copes had a good year last year but in my opinion has not looked close to that form this year and before anyone calls out the fact he has swapped and changed positions this year the same was true of last except this year he was used defensively as wing and attack at centre until hodges being injured and in my opinion did not take that opportunity to cement the position. Can anyone honestly say based on form right now he did enough to warrant immediate undoubted inclusion in the top 17. My answer is no.

Or more simply. Reed doesnt pass the ball.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.