PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
Qatar sheik worth an estimated $60 billion wants to invest in the NRL
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only
IN what would be a historic game-changer for rugby league, a Qatar sheik worth an estimated $60 billion wants to invest in the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal that Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani has discussed either sponsoring an NRL club — or simply buying one.

He is the sixth-richest sheik in the world.

“Definitely, money, funding, isn’t an issue for us,” said Dr Khalid Mohammad, who calls himself a “spokesman to his Highness”.

“Rugby league is a very famous game in Australia, UK, New Zealand and all over the world.”

HURT: Roos must protect Cronk

SMASHED: Bennett and Stuart unite on injuries

GREATNESS: 10 best moments of the World Cup

Michael Ibrahim (left) with Qatar's Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani.

Could this be the start of a new dawn for the game?
Some may be sceptical but Sheik Faisal’s interest in rugby league is genuine.

Sheik Faisal has befriended an NRL-loving Australian businessman, Michael Ibrahim, who has worked in the Middle East for the past 18 years.

The sheik has already injected money into the Pacific rugby league nations and is proposing a tournament in Doha, Qatar — involving Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Qatar — late next year.

Ibrahim supplies building material for stadiums to be used in the 2022 Qatar Football World Cup, sells food — meat from Australia and chicken from Brazil — to the Qatar Government and is helping build a resort in Qatar.

Extremely well connected to the Qatar royal family, Ibrahim has direct contact with Sheik Faisal and is encouraging the financial giant to buy into rugby league. And that is exactly what the sheik plans to do.

Qatar's 2022 FIFA World Cup preparations have been dogged by controversy. (Getty Images)
The Daily Telegraph spoke in-depth about the sheik’s plans for rugby league through his spokesman, Dr Khalid Mohammad.

“I feel personally that this game represents our nation,” Dr Khalid said. “Rugby league is a game of strength, power and strategy.

“In Qatar, we are highly interested in rugby league and brother Michael Ibrahim is a very close friend of ours. We can sponsor the clubs in Australia.

“He told us there are some struggling clubs in Australia and we are willing to buy them with correlation from Michael Ibrahim. He is a very a well-connected man there.

A tournament including Tonga, Samoa and Fiji is on the cards. (AAP Image/David Rowland)
“We can definitely buy and give some support. Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim would be funding all the activities. Definitely it will give us a return in terms of investment.

“Qatar is the wealthiest country in the Islamic world. Money has never been a problem.

“But the main question is how to utilise the money for the fame and coverage you can get.

“People like rugby league in many countries but, for us, it is new. Football is very famous here but rugby league, we want to introduce it into our nation.

LISTEN! The World Cup final has arrived for both men and women and the League Central crew dissect an incredible tournament to date, the future of the international game and pick their winners as the league season draws to a close.

Download the League Central podcast via iTunes

“In Qatar, we are preparing for the World Cup and sport is a way of communicating and representing ourselves in the world.

“Michael Ibrahim has already introduced rugby league to us. In fact, we are planning to host a tournament with Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.”

Sheik Faisal’s family wealth is $60 billion, while his personal wealth is around $3 billion.

He owns more than 20 hotels throughout the world and high-end real estate in Qatar. He also sells medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.

Play VideoPlay
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

Cronk denies ill-feeling with Pearce
Ibrahim, 44, who claims to be “very close” to the royal family, is a Sydney-born rugby league fanatic. He lives between Sydney and Qatar.

“I’m an entrepreneur,” said Ibrahim, who owns a company called Aqeeq Holdings.

“And I’m a massive Dragons fan. I bleed red and white. I have been telling them about our game and they’re not short of a quid.

“Money won’t be an issue for them. Who knows, there may even be another Super League? The money is there.

“This will be a win-win situation. They are a sport-driven country. That’s why they went for the World Cup soccer.

“There would be interest in rugby league in Qatar, they would love it.

“Unfortunately, our clubs don’t see beyond Australia. You’ve got to look elsewhere to find that corporate dollar. Clubs are doing it tough here.”

According to Forbes magazine, Sheik Faisal “has a museum in Doha where he houses more than 15,000 artefacts, including ancient coins, Islamic art and antique cars.”

He owns one of the largest conglomerates in Qatar.

Absolute no brainer for nrl it they want long term future

Poor bloke doesn't know what he's getting himself into.

Clearly he hasn't been paying attention to how the NRL has handled the TV Deal money

Thanks, but no thanks. Qatar is a dodgy nation. Funds terrorism. You don't want this country near rugby league. You don't know what their motives are.

Thanks, but no thanks. Qatar is a dodgy nation. Funds terrorism. You don't want this country near rugby league. You don't know what their motives are.

Yep, don't want anyone (else) dodgy involved:

416x416.jpg

I do agree, though. But money talks.

To be fair Qatar funds ISIS, who we are fighting against in Syria. It's a very two-faced nation.

I would prefer Marwan Koukash to buy a team. The guy is passionate about rugby league and is an excellent promoter. He would be great for the NRL.

Just what the game needs: some QATARI CASH (rip Les)

I see LivePass has had live origin and Grand Final taken off them. They also can no longer provide games on PC or Windows.

Now, this is a Utopia moment (season 3, episode 7 to be exact) and I'm not sure anyone knows what this exactly all means BUT, it seems that the NRL has once again found a way to shoot itself in the foot by capitalising on whatever increased popularity has come from the League World Cup by...making league even LESS accessible to the masses...I mean seriously, is the NRL run by another organisation intent on destroying it?

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • mrslong
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • RolledOates
  • pennywisealfie
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • jarro65
  • johnny plath
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.