rugby league expansion

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
The debate is centered on nrl expansion but that's a very narrow short sighted view. We need to expand rugby league in general.

sub topics.

rep vs premiership season

international game expansion

rugby league in aus expansion

nrl expansion

Last edited:
This is probably a very controversial view but.

premiership vs international season

why do we need 26 rounds. Why not 16. Why do we arbitrarily have clubs play one another twice. They complain about the length of the season that's how it gets fixed. You put origins on stand alone weekend (reducing player burnout). Additionally you hold friendly internationals at this time. How do we expect the game to grow with so few friendlies. Eg the tonga vs samoa game. You could do many like this. This also creates a shorter season allowing for internationals at the end as well. My only concern 16 weeks in the premiership season is a bit short but if the nrl expands that isn't an issue.

i will only allude to this because ill go into more detail later. Union is great internationally. Notice how local comps are actually international. NZ warriors and png hunters are heading in the right direction.

Ellegibilty. Too much talent sits on the sideline because of origin and people turning their backs on their countries. This isn't very Aussie but we need people representing heir country rather than us. Hayne should be playing for Fiji. Could you imagine how good they would have been if he was. That's just one example but that should be the games goal. Make the rules favour other countries

So ice actually answered between two questions and will again. We should look into a conference system. Could do pacific islands, Qld, nsw or something. Perth is just such a hard place to expand to due to geography. They would always be disadvantaged. At the very least samoa, tonga, fiji and png in addition to a second nz team should be expansion goals. The argument is there isn't the talent. That's not true the system just doesn't allow enough talent through as there are only so many spots. If we expanded to these areas possibly Perth and definitely cq and Brisbane x 2 we would have both a much larger pool of juniors and more pathways.

now to how. I think the png inclusion into Qld cup is great because it is sensible expansion. Give the team state cup and nyc entry for a three year trial (just long enough for a batch of juniors to come through) then give them an nrl team. It annoys me when people say oh a transfer window will stop poaching. It will increase but regulate it like in soccer. Doesn't matter if they're on contract you can still get them. This is a great system for allowing expansion. The nrl would give new team an extra amount of money maybe $1000000 to spend on transfer fees so the club can buy players on contract in addition to off contract and using their existing players to supplement this. That is how the game has to expand and it will create local ties before being in the nrl.

I want more NRL games, not less. Devaluing the game IMO is dumb.

Expand to Perth. **** international, I don't care.

Origin weeks full bye week. On a Wednesday.

What about a stand alone Origin week with the game being played on a Saturday or Sunday night?

Origin is exceedingly popular in NSW and QLD and sells out and gets huge ratings and crowds non-stop in both states but because it's played on a weekday some people (especially in Sydney) find it to difficult to get there because of workday traffic, distance from the ground etc. If it was played on a weekend more people would find it easier to get there and there would be a better crowd demographic from a certain area.

It would make the NRL premiership more competitive during Origin as well every game would be the best against the best,

I'd personally love to see Origin become a festival of footy, stop the season for 3 weeks and let the rep game shine.

Each week the host city paints the town whatever colour relating to the home team and all the clubs send their lesser known players to schools for coaching clinics and backyard footy.

Friday night a legend exhibition game for charity or a NZ Vs the Rest game for the players who aren't in Origin.
Saturday/Sunday a nines tournament one round per weekend with the finals on the third weekend. Invite the lower grades to field teams and give the players not selected for origin a chance to shine.
Saturday night: The Origin game, because we all know Saturday is a great day for footy and a round of nines topped by NSW Vs QLD would be a great weekend.

Could even have the nines played in multiple stadiums around the host state.

Say we get 30 teams total and Suncorp/Skilled/1800Smiles park split those games or we pack out some smaller fields like Dolphin Oval.

Friday: (Night) NZ vs the Rest game at Suncorp
Saturday: (day)10 teams at Suncorp (nines)
(day)10 teams at Skilled (nines)
(day)10 teams at 1800smiles (nines)
(Night) NSW vs QLD at Suncorp (orgin)
Sunday: More nines games at the selected stadiums with coaching clinics for the kids and find more ways to bring the kids closer to the game and make Sunday 'Family Nines Day'

Yep, no structure to my typing as I was typing this out as i thought it out in my head.. Feel free to slam it or add to it.

What about a stand alone Origin week with the game being played on a Saturday or Sunday night?

Origin is exceedingly popular in NSW and QLD and sells out and gets huge ratings and crowds non-stop in both states but because it's played on a weekday some people (especially in Sydney) find it to difficult to get there because of workday traffic, distance from the ground etc. If it was played on a weekend more people would find it easier to get there and there would be a better crowd demographic from a certain area.

It would make the NRL premiership more competitive during Origin as well every game would be the best against the best,

It starts at 8pm. No excuse for those passionless fans to not get there. Especially when half the tickets are free.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • bert_lifts
  • vertigo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • pennywisealfie
  • The Don
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • simplythebest
  • broncs30
  • Maddy
  • Accept
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Emanon
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • NSW stables
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.