Rugby - Wallabies

Where would you rank the major sports in Aus?

NRL
AFL
CRICKET
SOCCER
UNION
Any other

Thoughts?
1 and 2 are interchangeable really and cricket is 1 from October to march.

Then there's probably a gap from cricket to soccer - always got the highest participation rates but the money isn't there comparatively unless you're awesome in which case the local public doesn't see you (off to Europe you go).

I'd agree with sproj that bball is probably more popular than union these days. I'd say our guys cracking it in the nba in increasing numbers and the tendency for draft calibre players to play nbl for a season is helping raise the profile.

1 and 2 are interchangeable really and cricket is 1 from October to march.

Then there's probably a gap from cricket to soccer - always got the highest participation rates but the money isn't there comparatively unless you're awesome in which case the local public doesn't see you (off to Europe you go).

I'd agree with sproj that bball is probably more popular than union these days. I'd say our guys cracking it in the nba in increasing numbers and the tendency for draft calibre players to play nbl for a season is helping raise the profile.

I know league fans don't like to hear this but AFL is more popular than NRL Australia wide. This is not a comment on which sport is better, just a statement of fact as to AFL having more reach and being more popular in states other than Qld and NSW.

Of course, NSW and Qld are two of the three most populated states but there is also significant AFL interest in those states in addition to Victoria where the NRL doesn't really have much of a foothold at all despite decades of trying. The other states might know what rugby league is but have nowhere near the interest shown in the AFL.

The other states might know what rugby league is but have nowhere near the interest shown in the AFL.

That's because the NRL are incompetent, and have neglected the other states. An Origin match being taken there once or twice a decade, won't do squat for the sport on those states.

The NRL don't want to be a national Comp. They only want teams on the eastern coast and NZ

That's because the NRL are incompetent, and have neglected the other states. An Origin match being taken there once or twice a decade, won't do squat for the sport on those states.

The NRL don't want to be a national Comp. They only want teams on the eastern coast and NZ
Whats the point of an origin match between NSW vs QLD being taken to anywhere but NSW or QLD. They have no vested interest in it. If the NRL want to be a national comp, given the states their own teams instead. Origin has already been watered down enough with the poly players choosing money over the states these days then going to play for Tonga or Samoa in the national game.

Who do the Wallabies play next in the world cup? 🤭

There are no strong points....its a shit game.

The best part is a two way tie between "Its over" and "Before it starts".

Eddie Jones is pretty exciting to watch whenever he talks, it is a train wreck each and every time.

so who was the bigger thief ... Jones or Seibold
Depends on the payout I guess (if there even is on for Jones). But other than that, definitely Seibold. He took us from a club that consistently finished in the top 8, to the clubs first wooden spoon (blaming everyone else in the process).

Wallabies were crap already.

Depends on the payout I guess (if there even is on for Jones). But other than that, definitely Seibold. He took us from a club that consistently finished in the top 8, to the clubs first wooden spoon (blaming everyone else in the process).

Wallabies were crap already.

In fairness, you have basically just described Jones too. They are eerily similar. Rugby Australia pushed out a coach who was doing pretty well with VERY limited cattle to bring this bloke in on a very big money 5 year deal and has bailed after an absolute train wreck of a season.

Unlike Seibold though, I actually do think Jones did have some good points and some good ideas but like the Broncos at Seibold's time, Rugby Australia's management is an absolute shambles. At least the Broncs still had strong talent coming through, Rugby Australia just doesn't. They've mishandled everything for years and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Unlike coaching the Broncos, coaching the Wallabies is not an attractive proposition for anyone of note. The Wallabies right now are dead and there is no resuscitation in sight.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.