Rule changes you'd like to see

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
As per the title, since it's the offseason I thought we could all float ideas we would like to see in the way of rule changes to the game. Be it a full change or a small tweak, what would you like to see happen?

• Time stopped anytime the ball is not in play, other sports have buttons on the refs allowing them to stop and start the clock with a simple press of the button. I'd like to see something similar in the NRL where as soon as the ball is out of play they press it and stop the clock. We get 80 minutes of actual football and tactics to wind down the clock are eliminated.
  • NHL style bin, Sent to the bin for 10 for majors like fighting, 5 minutes for minors like taking a player out when he doesn't have the ball. As soon as the team with the advantage scores the binned player can return to the field.
  • Play the advantage more, don't call the play back as soon as there is a knock on. If the defending team can pick it up first and make a break or at least 10m let the play continue.

I like the first one, i would like to see the referre stop the clock every time there is a stoppage in play as well ensure that a full 80 minutes is played. The AFL does it so why can't the NRL do it.

Thoughts

1. I like this idea. Only concern is that certain games could really draaaag if teams spend a ton of time sucking in the big ones during the 'dead' periods.

2. Hate this. Why would you encourage players to commit professional fouls?

3. I'm cool with this.

-------------------------------------------
1. Remove the kick for touch option for penalties.

2. Allow players to take the quick tap. As long as they tap it on the mark, it's play on.

3. NO MORE TORSO TRIES

- I'd like the time clock stopped when the ball is not in play too.

And I wouldn't call it a rule change but I'd like to see a change in how some of the rules are interpreted:

- I'd like to see less stripping calls with more onus on the ball carrier

- I'd like to see the referees penalise the markers less, especially if the tackled player walks off the mark or shifts over. The referees ping the markers for way too much stuff.

• NHL style bin, Sent to the bin for 10 for majors like fighting, 5 minutes for minors like taking a player out when he doesn't have the ball. As soon as the team with the advantage scores the binned player can return to the field.

how does that work?

In the NHL you get minor penalties (2min) for little indiscretions. which is basically the same as our standard penalties. Then they have 5 minute majors for fighting or other really serious offences (like knocking someone out with an elbow to the head).

are you suggesting we have a combined system that melds the NRL and NHL together? so three tiers with normal penalties, 5 minute sin bins for more serious fouls and then 10 for fighting?

2. Hate this. Why would you encourage players to commit professional fouls?
S

How would it encourage it? If anything it would result in more dirty tactics being punished and make players think twice about it.

How would it encourage it? If anything it would result in more dirty tactics being punished and make players think twice about it.

well because you're actually reducing the penalty from 10 minutes to 5 minutes. I think with only 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes you'd get a lot more players gambling like Aubusson did yesterday and dragging down chasers or support players in attempt to foil a potential scoring opportunity

well because you're actually reducing the penalty from 10 minutes to 5 minutes. I think with only 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes you'd get a lot more players gambling like Aubusson did yesterday and dragging down chasers or support players in attempt to foil a potential scoring opportunity

The definition of 5 minute and 10 minute bins would need to be better defined before it could be used. In yesterdays case nothing would of changed, they awarded the try it goes on. If he did it 20 out instead Manly get another 6 while the Roosters defend their line down a bloke, it would hopefully take away the fear refs seem to have with binning somebody.

What KW said but on top of that the maximum penalty is one try.

Players would be stupid not to take advantage.

The definition of 5 minute and 10 minute bins would need to be better defined before it could be used. In yesterdays case nothing would of changed, they awarded the try it goes on. If he did it 20 out instead Manly get another 6 while the Roosters defend their line down a bloke, it would hopefully take away the fear refs seem to have with binning somebody.

I suppose that could work by giving the refs an intermediate step between penalty and 10 but I'm not sure that the rule change would make that much of a difference. I think a lot of the issue here just comes down to how the referees apply the rules. I know a lot of penalty don't like the fact that the sin-bin is so harsh (and that there is no middle range penalty) but I think it should be very harsh. it should be a big axe hanging over a players head to stop them from cynically fouling the opposition.

from a personal point of view, I don't think there is an issue with the laws on this. I just think the referees should use the sin-bin more than they do right now. I don't want the game to end up like yawnion but I think the sin-bin has been under utilised in the last few seasons.

Interchange reduced to 8, with a view to lower to 6 in 3 or 4 years. With the reduced interchange there can be unlimited injury replacements, but only if a player cannot return to the field. If an injured player is replaced and then returns to the field it counts as 2 interchanges. If all replacements have been used cannot return to field.

Any kick that goes over the deadball line that is kicked from outside the 40m line is returned at the 30m line.

If they go to the reserve grade system as suggested I'd like to see the interchange dropped to 6/8 but have 6 players to choose from with 2 players picked from the reserve grade game to sit the bench. This would allow more flexibility for covering injury.

The strip rule revised so if it's a one on one strip it's allowed no matter how many players have dropped off the tackle before the strip happens.

Introduce a 5 min bin as well as a 10 min, then maybe the refs would actually start using it.

The strip rule revised so if it's a one on one strip it's allowed no matter how many players have dropped off the tackle before the strip happens.

definitely this. I couldn't quite remember which aspect of the strip rule was completely ridiculous but it is this part

* Instead of stopping the clock whenever the ball goes out of play, set a time limit. Don't make it to the scrum or get on-side in time, penalty. If you stop the clock, you'll just have everyone wandering around catching their breath. I think they've started doing this or are considering it, but it needs to be a pretty quick time limit (eg, 20 seconds for a scrum, I'd like it to be less but you have to allow for long kicks that go over the sideline at the other end of the field).

* Video ref can rule on ANYTHING, but only if it's warranted, and only within a certain amount of time. I'm looking at forward passes here, by the way. With the flat attack these days players are getting away with it too much, you saw a blatant one missed last night and most hookers would throw 3-4 in a single game. And those ones close to the opposition's line where the runner is pretty much through the line before a ball gets popped forward to them. **** human error, I don't care if there are 4 people there to spot that stuff, if it happens & the on-field refs miss it, the video ref should be able to tip off the primary ref and pull it back.

Rules changes I'd like to see:

Penalty goals to be reduced to 1 point.

The defending team should not have to regather the ball after a charge down. They should just get a scrum feed wherever the ball lands. I think if they are good enough to charge it down they should end up with possession regardless if they get to it or not. I'd rather can it all together as it is such a low percentage play.

Video referees should not be allowed to follow or rule on general play and should not know the score at any stage during the game(if they don't already). The only footage they should observe is the try that has been referred. I think that would help address consistency. If decisions are referred without knowing the lead up and context, it would make it easier for them to enforce the rules with less emphasis on 'interpretation'. This is even more important if the captain's referral makes its way into the game.

I would like to see the return of the SCRUM. Not the get the forwards out of the road love ins we have now.

I don't like the current interpretation of the 8 point try.

It should be if you're fouled at any point in the act of scoring a try you should be awarded 8 points.

eg. Last night. David Williams tackled Daniel Tupou before he got the ball and put it down. IMO, Williams should have still been penalised for his indiscretion.

Right now, you only really see an 8 point try if some numb skull player dives on top of the player right at the end.

I'd like to see the following:

- matches reduced to 70 minutes (two x 35 minute halves) however with time off for all stoppages. The shot clocks surrounding scrums, goal line drop outs etc should remain so that teams can't drag the chain. I am sick of seeing games at 78:00 on the clock when a try is scored or penalty given, only for teams to run down the remaining time.

- Sin bin reduced to 5 minutes (reflecting the change to 70 minute game with time off for stoppages) but with stricter enforcement of professional fouls through the use of the sin bin. A decent attacking team should be able to get through three sets of six within 5 minutes of play to give them enough of an opportunity to score a try.

- Keep the "captain's challenge" out of the game.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Midean
  • Bish
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Lurker
  • Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.