Rule Changes

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I vaguely remember it actually. I even remember Lockyer challenging once using that.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I vaguely remember it actually. I even remember Lockyer challenging once using that.

He's the only one I remember challenging it (because I couldn't give a **** about most other games), because he walked up, all he said was check, and motion his hand slightly to the screen.

Then they look at it. If it is seen to be a strip, the call was changed on the field.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I think Nashy is referring to an old practice from around 2006 or so where the video ref. could over-turn knock ons & drop-outs etc. In fact, I remember that exact incident took place in that heart-breaker against the Dragons from that year.

But like Viti pointed out, that was the video ref. acting on his own accord, the captain's challenge has only been trialed in the NYC and it wasn't really exercised from memory.

My concern with the captain's challenge is the effect it will have on the speed of the game. A video analysis can really slow the game down (especially if Russell Smith is at the helm...) and I'd hate to see the captain's abuse the system to give their side a quick breather.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
No. It was not the VR doing it. The captain had to challenge it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It wasn't an official challenge.

In that Lockyer incident, the play had stopped which enabled the video ref. to review it on his own accord and reverse the decision.

I understand where you're coming from. It was the closest system League had to a captain's challenge but the player's didn't really have that much control. But yeah, that system did receive some negative press, largely from the old school brigade who didn't like everything being analysed. Mind you, I think it's a Super League agenda, it's why Gus always moans about video refs. even when he's clearly in the wrong.

One concern I have, will players just challenge head high tackles all the time to earn easy penalties?

Last edited:
Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Waste of a challenge of course Thaiday dropped it lol

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
One concern I have, will players just challenge head high tackles all the time to earn easy penalties?

thats not how it would work - you would only be able to challenge calls that have stopped the play, not missed calls.

ie. the ref calls high tackle and blows a penalty, the team that made the tackles captain can challenge the high tackle call because play has stopped. video ref looks at it, tackle was legit, penalty is overturned and play resumes on whatever tackle they wouldve been up to, or tackle is high and penalty stands.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
So then what's to stop a player going down "hurt", prompting time off and then calling for a review. Basically the same as what happens now, but with the review coming from the captain and not the video ref.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
It's having a go at qld, saying that we've always taken all our players from anywhere but qld.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
What a fucking stupid article, anyway under the new rules Jarryd would still be able to play for QLD wouldn't he?

fredie

fredie

Banned User
Sep 28, 2008
Tamou tamroo blues player was playing for paddington sydney roosters juniors at age 12 i think

fredie

fredie

Banned User
Sep 28, 2008
tamou tamblue lived in queenland aswell ?
his family lives north queensland
he wanted to play for the kangaroo's not the kiwi's

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Actually he said he wanted to play for the Kiwi's before a few weeks later changing his mind to play for Australia and NSW so no he didn't originally want to play for Australia, he wanted to play for Australia only after declaring he wanted to play for NZ cause it allowed him to play SOO thanks to words from Stuart and Gallen surprise surprise, he had also already played for the junior NZ team.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.