(Rumour) Ben Hunt new captain?

Requirements for a true Broncs captain:

Don't be a dick and question/piss off referee over every fucking little decision, ala fuckwit gallen or ennis ? - Yes? Tick
Show a growth in maturity, a learner of experience, and be a leader of yourself first, and then other men after ? - Yes? Tick
Class player, potential to be best in world ? - Yes? Tick

Young Benjamin, it is..

Captains re-sign for less money. As a half, Hunt will have way more money thrown at him from rival clubs than Boyd, McCullough or Thaiday. I'm not suggesting this decision should be fiscally motivated, but it could be a bonus that allows us to retain an extra player in the future.

BEN Hunt is in the box seat to be crowned Brisbane’s next captain after fullback Darius Boyd declared he was not ready to lead the Broncos.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is searching for a new skipper, with Justin Hodges to retire at season’s end.

Hodges and club legend Darren Lockyer, a former captain, have touted Boyd as a future leader at Red Hill following the State of Origin star’s dramatic rebirth.

Boyd has evolved from a polarising character into a crowd favourite after confronting the personal issues that threatened to derail his blossoming career.

His form has flourished despite suffering a serious achilles injury in the pre-season and he will play a pivotal role in Brisbane’s charge towards a seventh premiership.

But the 28-year-old still wants to achieve more, on and off the field, before he puts his hand up to replace Hodges.

“It’s obviously very nice to be spoken about in that way but I don’t know how I’d go, to be honest,” Boyd said.

“There’s still a few things I need to work on personally. To lead a team would be a big challenge.

“While it’s nice to be spoken about in that regard, there’s still a little bit for me to do before I’d be ready to put my hand up for that.”

Hunt and hooker Andrew McCullough, both 25, are frontrunners for the position in 2016, while Corey Parker is another quality candidate.

Boyd only returned to the Broncos this season after six years away with the Dragons and Newcastle, and said he was honoured to be spoken about as a possible skipper.

“Hodgo’s done a great job this year,” he said.

“It’s a tough job in a way. You’ve got to have a lot of respect from your teammates.

“I’ve only been here for 10 months. To be even thought about is pretty special for me.

“It’s something I’m proud of. Twelve or 18 months ago I would never have thought about it because of the dramas and situations I was in.”

Boyd’s debut season with the Broncos in 2006 culminated with a premiership and he claimed another under Bennett at the Dragons in 2010 when he also won the Clive Churchill Medal.

But his desire for success has never been stronger and he is determined to beat the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night to book a home preliminary final.

“This is my 10th year and I’ve only played in two (grand finals), so it shows how hard it is to get there,” he said.

“My first year I didn’t really understand. I was just happy playing first grade and with all the stars I got to play with.

“I was lucky enough to be on the wing and win a comp.

“I feel more a part of it and involved now. There’s more at stake. Something special is happening here at the moment and hopefully it can keep going through the finals.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ady-to-lead-club/story-fniabm4j-1227521858363

Don't just post links to articles. Post the content here please.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-premiership-era/story-fniabm4i-1227540933583

Ben Hunt says he is ready to captain Broncos into a new premiership era

origin:video_integrator.R4d2JudzpVLKfqb6ok-HscQcUvSs6x7w

BEN Hunt says he has grown up and is mentally equipped to handle the Broncos captaincy as the resurgent halfback looks to lead Brisbane into a new premiership era.
Hunt’s leadership credentials will soar tomorrow night if the crafty playmaker can outpoint Roosters rival Mitchell Pearce and steer the Broncos to their first grand final in nine years.
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is closely examining his group for captaincy options, with Hunt among several candidates in line to succeed retiring skipper Justin Hodges.
v1

Hunt was fighting for his first-grade spot at the Broncos four years ago after being axed to the Intrust Super Cup following a boozy night out with hooker Andrew McCullough.
But on the eve of the biggest game of his 138-game career at Suncorp Stadium, Hunt says he would relish joining Darren Lockyer, Kevin Walters and Allan Langer in Brisbane’s captains’ club.

“If Wayne wants to go in that direction, I’d be happy to take the captaincy. If not, I’d respect his decision, because there are other great players here who could do that role.
“I guess it’s out of my hands, but if it comes my way, it would be a huge honour and I’d love to captain a club like the Broncos.
“I’d pinch myself every day knowing I was the leader of such a great club.”
Bennett has a history of choosing scrumbase skippers and Hunt’s outstanding form over the past two seasons would justify his coronation as Brisbane’s 13th captain.

Statistically, the Maroons hopeful is blowing Pearce off the park this season. He has more tries than his Roosters rival (11 to 1), more line breaks (10 to 3), twice as many line-break assists (29 to 14) and more kick metres (439 to 264).
Hunt attributes his dominance in the No. 7 jumper not only to becoming more professional off the field, but feeling more comfortable on it.
“When I was younger, I’d go out every week for a drink but I’ve matured in that way. I look after myself better,” he said.

“To be honest, I never saw myself as captaincy material at all. I would just play football and lead with my actions on the field. As a captain, I don’t feel you have to be something you’re not.​
“It does take time. I always played in the halves but it wasn’t really a strong point of mine knowing I had to lead blokes who’ve played in the NRL for 10 years.
“But they’ve accepted that’s my job and I’m really comfortable with it now.”
Hunt said he needed to step-up against Pearce to move Brisbane a step closer to the holy grail.
“He’ll be ready to go, Mitchell knows what he has to do to get ready,” he said.
“It’s definitely my biggest game ever. I played in a final like this (in 2011) but I was off the bench playing a minor role ... now I’m in the starting side and I have to deliver.”

Last edited by a moderator:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.