(Rumour) Ben Hunt new captain?

uHyVZAA.jpg

Looks like a fat wally with no mustache

Could be good.

He's very vocal on field in giving team mates sh*t for not putting in effort (which can undermine team support) or making a dumb decision.

He's an effort on effort guy (like Thurston). Always there in cover defence. I think he's got that champion quality. Would love to see him in State of Origin... alas.

One of my mates deadset hates him (as a Cowboys supporter). If there's something there to polarize opinions, maybe that's an indicator of a personality malfunction that I just don't see as a biased Broncos fan.

What on off could there be to hate about Ben Hunt?

Your mate sounds like a fuckhead

Agreed, his not a dirty player and his exciting to watch, nothing really to hate unless you straight out hate the side he plays for and thus hate him.

So looks like Dobbo was right (never thought I'd say that). I'm at the game and when Benny was announced the announcer said "number 7, your next captain, Ben Hunt"

So looks like Dobbo was right (never thought I'd say that). I'm at the game and when Benny was announced the announcer said "number 7, your next captain, Ben Hunt"

Wouldn't you know it .... I just saw a pig fly past my window
:laugh:

Last edited:

Somehow Dobbo got hold of the announcers microphone .

Damn I have been caught out ;)

I'm happy if this is the way they go, Hunt really does seem to be an inspirational type of player who will get the best out of his fellow players.

A good choice IMO.

Good time to do it. With Parker, Thaiday, Boyd, and Blair all there for 2016 he will have alot.of support that will help him develop into a great captain.

I personally see Boyd as our next captain. He has developed so much as a person these last 12 months and just looks comfortable in himself and at ease. The only doubt would be could the captaincy be too much pressure for him.

The only other real options would be Hunt or Macca imo.

BRISBANE legend Allan Langer has called for Ben Hunt to be the Broncos’ next captain.

Langer’s endorsement came as Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said the audition process to succeed retiring skipper Justin Hodges was about to begin.

Hodges’ revelation last week that he will quit the Broncos at season’s end raised issues on dual fronts for Bennett.

Not only must he find a replacement at right centre, but more critically Bennett must find a new captain for the second consecutive year.

The master coach will assess the merits of several contenders, including veteran lock Corey Parker, fullback Darius Boyd, former skippers Sam Thaiday and Alex Glenn and rugged hooker Andrew McCullough.

story-fni3gv4u-1227484911085

But Langer, who skippered Brisbane to their maiden premiership in 1992, believes Hunt has earned the respect to be crowned the Broncos’ 13th captain.

“The captaincy wouldn’t be a problem for him,” said Langer, the Broncos’ greatest halfback who played 258 games for the club.

“I see Benny Hunt developing into a real leader. Wayne will consider Corey Parker but if he is looking for a longer-term option, you have to look at Ben Hunt or Andrew McCullough.

“Whether Benny wants that extra workload I guess is up to him, but he would handle it.”

Brisbane’s longest-serving captains have traditionally been backs. Six of the club’s 12 skippers to date were from the backline — Langer, Kevin Walters, Gene Miles, Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer and Hodges.

Back-rowers Gorden Tallis and Thaiday held permanent roles, while forwards Glenn, McCullough, Petero Civoniceva and Parker have enjoyed cameos.

Parker shapes as the obvious successor to Hodges but he turns 34 next May.

McCullough, 25, made his captaincy debut against Newcastle in May during the Origin period, but there is a push for Hunt, also 25, to be blooded after his maturation at the scrumbase in the past 18 months.

“We’ve got seven months to go before the (2016) season starts so I’m not rushing into any decisions yet,” Bennett said.

“But the audition process (for the captaincy) is already underway — every day I’m watching them,”

Hunt, who made his Test debut last year, flagged his interest in the Broncos captaincy last October when he signed a two-year upgrade.

“To be captain of this club would be a massive achievement,” he said.

“If that occasion ever arose down the track, I’d be ready for it.”

Langer said he had no concerns over Hunt’s ability to juggle halfback and captaincy duties, just as the pint-sized Maroons icon did in his decorated career.

“I wasn’t really a vocal sort of captain, I just believed in leading by example and hopefully my mates followed,” Langer said.

“Ben has developed a lot and the beauty is he has more improvement in his game.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...484911085?sv=ac8edea55604c931837017098b0ed7dc

http://thebuck.fansunite.com.au/2015/08/18/16467/boyd-welcomes-talk-of-broncos-captaincy

Boyd welcomes talk of Broncos captaincy

The once-troubled Darius Boyd says he is proud of his progress after retiring Brisbane captain Justin Hodges nominated him as the man to lead the NRL club.
Boyd admitted he never expected to be considered for the captaincy due to his past but was rapt to receive a nod from Hodges, another reformed NRL bad boy.
Hodges told News Corp after last week confirming he would retire at season's end that Boyd would be an ideal Broncos skipper for at least the next five years.
It capped a remarkable transformation by Boyd, who took a two-month sabbatical from the NRL in late 2014 in which he checked into a mental health facility for depression.
"With my past I guess it is something I never thought I would get the opportunity (to do)," Boyd said.
"I still have a long way to go but I have made some improvements in myself.
"It is a massive honour to be thought of (for the captaincy).
"There are a lot of quality guys who could do the job too (but) to be spoken of - I am pretty proud of that."
Boyd is expected to have the inside running on the captaincy with his long-time mentor, Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, making the final call on Brisbane's next skipper.
Ex-captains Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday, halfback Ben Hunt, Alex Glenn and hooker Andrew McCullough are also expected to be considered before Bennett announces his 2016 skipper.
Boyd returned to the Broncos in the off-season after a seven year hiatus under a huge question mark due to his 2014 sabbatical.
He faced another test of character when he ruptured his Achilles 10 days into Brisbane pre-season training.
After five months of gruelling rehabilitation Boyd has emerged as Brisbane's trump card at fullback in their bid to win their first NRL title since 2006.
But the once notoriously media shy Boyd appears to have made greater strides battling his personal demons.
The man who once infamously held a 42 second "press conference" in 2009 before reporters gave up has been laidback with media since his Brisbane return and appears more comfortable in his own skin.
Boyd admitted he was following in the footsteps of Hodges, another who emerged from a troubled past.
"I think we all go through different things in your life, you grow up after being a bit of a kid at times," Boyd said.
"Hodgo is a credit to himself and it's a similar path that I have had the last year or two.
"I would like to keep improving myself."

Active Now

• Strop
  • LGH
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • marw
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Locky24
  • ettybay
  • Skathen
  • davidp
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • ChewThePhatt
  • heartly87
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.