Rumours locky may retire - Is this al BS? any1 has info???

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I heard on sunday roast or footy show, can't remember which one I heard em saying it may be career threatening, so he may be effectively forced into retirement ALA Andrew Johns.

I sincerely hope not, can anyone give more information on this please!

King_Lockyer said:
There's an article up on the courier mail site where Locky is quoted saying that it's feeling better and that he has to let is sit for a few weeks.
Here's the link

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

Wow its feeling better, thats a good sign because we have never heard that said from him before :roll: Come on Lockyer do the right thing and really give it time to come good, how many times does it have to take coming back early for you to realise it's not working.

GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer said:
There's an article up on the courier mail site where Locky is quoted saying that it's feeling better and that he has to let is sit for a few weeks.
Here's the link

Wow its feeling better, thats a good sign because we have never heard that said from him before :roll: Come on Lockyer do the right thing and really give it time to come good, how many times does it have to take coming back early for you to realise it's not working.

Until origin 3 I guess...

I think the thing that burns me most is that QLD don't need him. They never needed him. Cronk, Prince, Thurston, not like we are short of halves is it? Talk about a bloody ego....

Coming back from a knee reconstruction at age 20 is a big thing. And requires 6-9 months of rehabilitation after surgery.

Coming back from a knee reconstruction at age 31 is on another level all together.

Lockyer should have never been put back into the Broncos or QLD side until midway through the season.

bob the Smasher said:
GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer":3oz29k2c]There's an article up on the courier mail site where Locky is quoted saying that it's feeling better and that he has to let is sit for a few weeks. Here's the link [url="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0 said:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html[/url]

Until origin 3 I guess...

I think the thing that burns me most is that QLD don't need him. They never needed him. Cronk, Prince, Thurston, not like we are short of halves is it? Talk about a bloody ego....[/quote:3oz29k2c]

Agree. I seriously hope NSW win Origin 2 so 3 is a dead rubber. If it's 1-1, Locky's ego will probably kick in and the "I want to win the decider" attitude will override his "I should look after my knee" thoughts.

Coxy said:
Agree. I seriously hope NSW win Origin 2 so 3 is a dead rubber. If it's 1-1, Locky's ego will probably kick in and the "I want to win the decider" attitude will override his "I should look after my knee" thoughts.

But if we win the second one, I can't see the selectors breaking up the successful havles pairing of Thurston and Prince for a half-injured Locky (well I hope they wouldn't anyway).

ethos said:
Coxy said:

But if we win the second one, I can't see the selectors breaking up the successful havles pairing of Thurston and Prince for a half-injured Locky (well I hope they wouldn't anyway).

Wouldn't stop them. Guarantee if Locky declares himself fit he'd be picked, and if Thurston is fit they'd drop Prince.

GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer said:
Here's the link

um did you read this part of the article?:

"I've rolled the dice and my numbers unfortunately haven't come up," Lockyer said. "Another big game coming up is Origin III and I'll have to take some lessons learnt and make sure I don't just try and get back from this game, make sure I give this plenty of time."

King_Lockyer said:
GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer":250ys3jh]There's an article up on the courier mail site where Locky is quoted saying that it's feeling better and that he has to let is sit for a few weeks. Here's the link [url="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0 said:

"I've rolled the dice and my numbers unfortunately haven't come up," Lockyer said. "Another big game coming up is Origin III and I'll have to take some lessons learnt and make sure I don't just try and get back from this game, make sure I give this plenty of time."[/quote:250ys3jh]

Easy to say it, to actually do it is another thing altogether, how many times this season has it been now that his said its felt right, come back and then back on the sideline right afterwards? What does this achieve other then putting pressure on the club his a captain of and not to mention the state his captain of? Sure we may have grabbed a win against Parramatta but the fact remains the club needs him at his best for the business end of the season. It's time for Lockyer to stand up and be the captain he is supposed to be, put the club and state first.

And if it feels right and you think it's right I think it's safe to believe that you can give it a test run which Lockyer has tried to do a few times and failed miserably. Sometimes it's just bad luck when his knee isn't up to scratch and all he can basically hope for is that the medical staff get it right this time and hopefully give him an extended break just to make sure he's right to go in September (and hopefully October).

Thing is, Locky was saying "it feels fine" and then limping worse than I am right now. He was deluding himself.

GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer said:
GCBRONCO said:
King_Lockyer":10oqhe49]There's an article up on the courier mail site where Locky is quoted saying that it's feeling better and that he has to let is sit for a few weeks. Here's the link [url="http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0 said:

"I've rolled the dice and my numbers unfortunately haven't come up," Lockyer said. "Another big game coming up is Origin III and I'll have to take some lessons learnt and make sure I don't just try and get back from this game, make sure I give this plenty of time."

Easy to say it, to actually do it is another thing altogether, how many times this season has it been now that his said its felt right, come back and then back on the sideline right afterwards? What does this achieve other then putting pressure on the club his a captain of and not to mention the state his captain of? Sure we may have grabbed a win against Parramatta but the fact remains the club needs him at his best for the business end of the season. It's time for Lockyer to stand up and be the captain he is supposed to be, put the club and state first.[/quote:10oqhe49]

He has stood up and been a great captain, putting the state first by pulling out of origin and by giving them advanced warning that all wasn't right. He told them early enough so that Prince could get in and be prepared.

And why should players have to make that choice! Why should they have to rush their way back to play rep games! They should be at separate times of year! I keep saying it and it makes me madder and madder that people refuse to see that it'd be better for the club competition AND better for Origin to leave it til after the Grand Final! AAAAAAARGH!!

He has stood up and been a great captain, putting the state first by pulling out of origin and by giving them advanced warning that all wasn't right. He told them early enough so that Prince could get in and be prepared.

No he hasn't this season and there wasn't an advance warning that something wasn't right, it only came after he was in camp.......Prince was called in late to cover Thurston and Queensland hasn't been given the opportunity to have their halves combination together long enough during camp, will this help Queensland's cause? I think not. Combine that with the problem's his been having off and on this season that has seen him in one week and out the next it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the position he has been putting the Broncos and the state in, I'm sorry but if he was a real captain he would have aimed for a return for the third match after the Parramatta game, his not above criticism as a player and a captain, I respect him as a player but I can't help be disappointed.

GCBRONCO said:

No he hasn't this season and there wasn't an advance warning that something wasn't right, it only came after he was in camp.......Prince was called in late to cover Thurston and Queensland hasn't been given the opportunity to have their halves combination together long enough during camp, will this help Queensland's cause? I think not. Combine that with the problem's his been having off and on this season that has seen him in one week and out the next it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the position he has been putting the Broncos and the state in, I'm sorry but if he was a real captain he would have aimed for a return for the third match after the Parramatta game, his not above criticism as a player and a captain, I respect him as a player but I can't help be disappointed.

He could have been selfish and waited far longer before he decided to pull out, but he thought it would be best for the team to call Prince in early just incase he had to pull out. I don't believe Prince was called in to replace Thurston at all. As the week went on, Locky knew in the back of his mind that he was 50/50, and he's done the right thing by stepping over.

King_Lockyer said:
GCBRONCO said:

He could have been selfish and waited far longer before he decided to pull out, but he thought it would be best for the team to call Prince in early just incase he had to pull out. I don't believe Prince was called in to replace Thurston at all. As the week went on, Locky knew in the back of his mind that he was 50/50, and he's done the right thing by stepping over.

This article tends to support your view that Prince really was brought in to cover for Lockyer, as well as providing more detailed info about Lockyer's injury.

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/ ... x?id=51412

In any case, as many of us have posted over the last few months, Locky should have stayed out out of all footy for at least half this season.

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncorob
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Fozz
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.