Ryles signs with Catalans

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
t George Illawarra Dragons prop Jason Ryles has signed a three-year deal with French club Les Catalans Dragons.

The 29-year-old's contract with the European Super League club starts in 2009 and is worth a reported $1.7 million.

The NSW and Australian front rower was given permission to negotiate elsewhere earlier this year. As reported yesterday, the Wests Wollongong and Berkeley junior was also given the green light to move on by incoming coach Wayne Bennett.

Ryles debuted for the Dragons NRL side over eight season ago, playing 133 games between 2000-2007. He represented New South Wales (2002-2005) and Australia (2001-2002 & 2004-2005) as well as earning a number of City and Country jerseys between 2001-2005.

St George Illawarra are rumoured to be in line to sign Melbourne Storm second rower Jeremy Smith.

I wonder if that means Boyd will follow Bennett to the Dragons know Ryles is leaving. eusa_think

i hope not because i have been really impressed with him this year and i think he could really shine on the end of backline next year

Yeh I am pretty much resigned to losing Boyd now that the Dragons are cashed up!

This could also put merit into Gazza's theory that Thaiday will follow Bennett to St George.

Makes you wonder doesnt it?

Jeza23 said:
Yeh I am pretty much resigned to losing Boyd now that the Dragons are cashed up!

This could also put merit into Gazza's theory that Thaiday will follow Bennett to St George.

Makes you wonder doesnt it?

Hasn't Thaiday still under contract

Yeh he is up until the end of next year, but that doesnt seem to stop clubs from releasing players! Ryles is a case in point, he still had 2yrs to run!

Jeza23 said:
Yeh he is up until the end of next year, but that doesnt seem to stop clubs from releasing players! Ryles is a case in point, he still had 2yrs to run!
The difference is Henjak has Thaiday in his game plan where as WB doesn't for Ryles.

Hitman said:
Jeza23 said:
The difference is Henjak has Thaiday in his game plan where as WB doesn't for Ryles.

Maybe the case Hitman, but I disagree...as I have said many times Ryles is a key part to the Saints chances of success this year and he has been in past seasons too. When he hasnt been on the park they have struggled for leadership and go forward.

He has been superb this season! Yes he has given away some stupid penalties but everyone is guilty of that, you cant doubt his effort and substance.

I think one of the main reason WB wanted to get rid of Ryles was how much Ryles was making. he is on 400k a season, WB never even gave Petero or Webcke that much

bfoord said:
I think one of the main reason WB wanted to get rid of Ryles was how much Ryles was making. he is on 400k a season, WB never even gave Petero or Webcke that much

He only offered 300k to Petro.

I think it was more along the lines of Ryles getting sick of the constant criticism. I bag him a lot but that's mostly because I just don't like him but he has actually copped a fair bit of unfair crap so when the big SL cash came along - off he went!

I read that between gas and ryles, that was 1/4 of their cap, so this will free up A LOT for them. Bad for the game that hes going overseas tho

Yeah only criticism I have of him this year (thought he was a girl last year) is that he is trying to hard. He does more work than he should be made to because he feels he has to gets tired and gives away silly penalties because he is either exhausted or trying way too hard. Big loss for the game especially St George.

Catalans should really aim to become a fully French side. Pretty much half their side is Aussie.

Looking at their squad they've already got Mogg, McGuire, Carlaw, Jason Croker, Clint Greenshields, Aaron Gorrell, Alex Chan, John Wilson and Justin Murphy, plus Ryles and Bell next year.

Not French at all, although I suppose the other ESL sides are hardly English.

Considering what the game in France has been through, ethos, it's gotta be baby steps! Surely!

Horrible history there thanks to the vichyballers...

ethos said:
Catalans should really aim to become a fully French side. Pretty much half their side is Aussie.

Looking at their squad they've already got Mogg, McGuire, Carlaw, Jason Croker, Clint Greenshields, Aaron Gorrell, Alex Chan, John Wilson and Justin Murphy, plus Ryles and Bell next year.

Not French at all, although I suppose the other ESL sides are hardly English.

Once the quota system starts getting lowered (every year the quota of overseas players allowed will get lower, to a final quota of about 3, i think) then the sides over there will have more home grown players in their sides. i also think that this will make England and France stronger in the international arena, thus giving 4 truly strong sides.

Just checked it out too - 16 of the Catalans' top 28 are French.

I mean, I doubt the Rabbits have that many Aussies in their team!

mick! said:
Just checked it out too - 16 of the Catalans' top 28 are French.

I mean, I doubt the Rabbits have that many Aussies in their team!

They are the New Zealand Rabbitohs remember!

The warriors are the Australian Warriors [icon_lol1.

And the Storm are mostly Melbournians.

The Queensland Warriors -

1. Kemp
3. Tate
4. Moon (if he signs with them, like the news is suggesting)
5. Shortland
6. Witt
7. Rovelli
8. Price
9. Fien
12. Lillyman
13. Luck

They should try to get some more NZ players in the side...

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • Mister Wright
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • BruiserMk1
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.