Sam Thaiday's Greatest XIII

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Got some interesting and controversial picks here.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/22...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

chammas_thaiday-xiii_20180822.jpg

Interesting that Mal is the coach of that team and not Bennett

Coach: Mal Meninga
"It might be controversial. I'm going to go with Mal just because of the success he's had as a coach. Mal was coached by Wayne, so he's got some of Wayne's old police force days within the stuff that he does. I think culturally Mal is really good at bringing the best out in players. I didn't make the 13, so he mustn't have called me."

When he says he didn't make the 13, I think he is refering to SOO last year or the Australian team or the actual team named.

Last edited:
Coach: Mal Meninga
"It might be controversial. I'm going to go with Mal just because of the success he's had as a coach. Mal was coached by Wayne, so he's got some of Wayne's old police force days within the stuff that he does. I think culturally Mal is really good at bringing the best out in players. I didn't make the 13, so he mustn't have called me."

When he says he didn't make the 13, I think he is refering to SOO last year or the Australian team or the actual team named.

I’m just surprised he didn’t pick Paul Green.

Can't believe he picked Thurston over Shane Perry. Bennett should sit him out now though.

Can't believe he picked Thurston over Shane Perry. Bennett should sit him out now though.

Actually I think if anyone got dudded, it was Scott "people's immortal" Minto.

Cordner over Gillett? I'm offended that he included a single Blue in the 13..

Also, Corey Parker robbed.

Confirmed he shouldn't be in coaching post career. Hopefully the Cowboys sign him in a coaching role.

How dare you! Shaun Berrigan could play whatever position he wanted to

Yep. What's that saying about team selections? Pick your best 17... Then worry about finding spots for them.

Terrific player all across the park was Berrigan.

Berrigan was no starting 13 but he was a terrific player just the same. I think it's more sentiment and respect, rather than simply a potential best side he has played with and against.
Mal as coach is a bit controversial, but I think Bennet's got big enough shoulders. Besides, it might look a little sychaphantic to name him whilst you're playing under him (kind of like telling your boss he's the best he's the best youve worked when cutbacks are in the cards).
What that says about Parker though is more interesting, since he would easily fill that role and would be the obvious candidate.

How dare you! Shaun Berrigan could play whatever position he wanted to

Much like John Plath who played every position on the field at one stage of his career, even prop for a bit during a match.

Much like John Plath who played every position on the field at one stage of his career, even prop for a bit during a match.
Once asked an ex player who was the best player he ever played with was, was a bit shocked to hear him say john plath but in hignsight completly reasonable choice. The guy could play any position in any situation to a high standard...

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • heartly87
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • kman
  • Culhwch
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.