Sam Thiaday's Comments on the Footy Show last night

:biggrin:
CF, we need to stop agreeing so much...it's quite disturbing ;)

Kinda reminds me of the story about the young man at thirty remarking how much his Dad had grown up over the recent years !:001_rolleyes:

i dunno, the broncos showed that sort of loyalty to dane carlaw, david stagg, scott prince, petero civoniceva, brad thorn, and countless others.

theyve also shown it to peter wallace for the last 5 years XD

>groan<

I think this is only Thaiay's take on things and not an attitude shared by the team. It's yet another hole in his captaincy game to come out and say this,

and to be honest it doesn't surprise.

Looking after family is fair enough.......but where's the line drawn, that being looked after well enough now..... and for the future comes into consideration.

When is enough money......enough money?

and where does gratitude fit in amongst all of this....?

He's set an extremely poor example IMO.

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed with Sam's comment after Benji's interview being our club captain. He focused his talk on looking after his family and no emphesis on being loyal to the Broncs. That's the way I saw it. Any thoughts?

It's an idealistic view for fans to think all players put loyalty ect first, but in reality these players are employees like you and me but with a much shorter timeframe than us to remain employable.. Can't hold it against them for maximising their earnings while they have the chance..

It's an idealistic view for fans to think all players put loyalty ect first, but in reality these players are employees like you and me but with a much shorter timeframe than us to remain employable.. Can't hold it against them for maximising their earnings while they have the chance..
Thaiday is captain, he should be the most passionate person at the club, not just "a job I get paid to do".

All this talk about remaining employable is exaggerated, they can get a degree, certifications, diplomas and all that stuff very easily while they're playing due to all the free time they get and by the time they've retired they should have a lot of career options. They're not pensioners at 33, they just can't play professional league any more. They get to have a dream job for 5-15 years and if they can't invest enough during that period then they get a job like everyone else, what's wrong with that? Some people play every week for 10-20+ years without getting paid for it.

Last edited:
Do we actually have direct quotes or just hearsay?

I think sam thaiday is bit of a social retard and just says things the wrong way at times.

IMO this is getting taken a little out of context. Sam was on a national tv show being asked about he's thoughts on the Benji situation. I think he was just trying to not look like a dick and talk down another player by saying 'loyalty is everything' blah blah blah. I think this is seen as an issue because most of us disagree with Sam being captain so it's a bigger issue. If these same comments were made by smith etc it would be a non issue IMO

Thaiday is captain, he should be the most passionate person at the club, not just "a job I get paid to do".

All this talk about remaining employable is exaggerated, they can get a degree, certifications, diplomas and all that stuff very easily while they're playing due to all the free time they get and by the time they've retired they should have a lot of career options. They're not pensioners at 33, they just can't play professional league any more. They get to have a dream job for 5-15 years and if they can't invest enough during that period then they get a job like everyone else, what's wrong with that? Some people play every week for 10-20+ years without getting paid for it.

so they should be loyal and sacrifice potential earnings during their football days so the fans will like them ?

so they should be loyal and sacrifice potential earnings during their football days so the fans will like them ?
Not at all, but the captain shouldn't necessarily display that kind of attitude, he should be the most passionate person about the club and about playing for the club. I don't think what Thaiday said is a big deal but his attitude goes both ways, if it's purely a performance/business partnership then he should be stripped of captaincy.

The real truth is actually uncomfortable. The guys in the team don't really play for the fans or even the club. They play for their 'tribe' or 'surrogate family'. It's true after a game they say to the outsiders we love playing for the club and our fans but what really motivates is the desire to put in for the family. The sense of belonging to something bigger than you and not wishing to fail them is strong.

The club in this case is no different to any employer and the divide between employer/employee is the same. Very very few of we workers truly trust our bosses and know the employer will, if able to without looking bad, put their own interests first. If a player gives of himself for the club without expectation of some imagined payoff then all well and good, it is his entitlement. His only debt though is his best effort and total commitment for the wage offered.

The real truth is actually uncomfortable. The guys in the team don't really play for the fans or even the club. They play for their 'tribe' or 'surrogate family'. It's true after a game they say to the outsiders we love playing for the club and our fans but what really motivates is the desire to put in for the family. The sense of belonging to something bigger than you and not wishing to fail them is strong.

I'm not sure just what the hell you're talking about here ....I can only assume you are referring to the players play for each other?

which broken into broader terms, means they are fact playing for the club.

The club in this case is no different to any employer and the divide between employer/employee is the same. Very very few of we workers truly trust our bosses and know the employer will, if able to without looking bad, put their own interests first. If a player gives of himself for the club without expectation of some imagined payoff then all well and good, it is his entitlement. His only debt though is his best effort and total commitment for the wage offered.

Well no wonder I hate myself. I'm self employed

So to sum that up they are playing for the team and each other? How is that uncomfortable?

I suppose that statement is a little vague . In my humble opinion most people like to think that the players play for the glory of the club, the support of the common fan. In reality most play for themselves like a swimmer or cyclist or tennis player. We celebrate with them in their victories but it, the motivation is much more selfish. It is with this in mind that I empathise with the player when he/she considers their future or who they may play for. I see the player as a worker like any other and have the same expectation of them as I would myself. I would not consider for a moment the future well being of my ( multi national ) employer when considering moving on to another job. Its all about me the worker so I expect that of any player.

The days of loyalty and consideration for the club are long gone. That was all I was referring to when describing it as an uncomfortable truth. This is a state of affairs brought about by the clubs themselves when they decided to embrace professionalism.

Eh, "family is the most important thing" is the most generic "go-to" answer, so I don't have a problem with it. I don't even disagree with it.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.