Sam Tomkins

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
samtomkins_1366601a.jpg

Every now and then, you're going to see me open a topic on a player that I feel warrants a bunch of interest.

I'm going to start with one of the best players to come out of Wigan, Sam Tomkins.

Last year, a lot was made about how the Broncos should have signed Tomkins. Sam had played a starring role in Wigan's run to a premiership and fans felt like his presence would have improved the side and he was exactly what we were missing. Of course, the Broncos didn't get involved and ended up signing Barba on an absolute bargain deal, so the argument sort of pittered out, but two rounds in, what do you make of Tomkins?

Do you think that, in spite of the Warriors form, he's still going to be one of the top players of 2014?

Or is he just another over-hyped ESL player that is going to fade into obscurity?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Admittedly, I haven't kept a close eye on Tomkins. Of what I've seen, he's still finding his feet in the NRL. Today he came up with a poor error that really swung the momentum in the Dragon's favour and proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back. It was an unfortunate moment from him and despite scoring a try, you'd have to think that today's performance won't be remembered as one of his finest efforts.

Still, the Warriors are notoriously slow starters and they still have a fairly young squad building new combinations and working on individual issues. They won't play their best footy until around the representative season where they'll get the opportunity to take on weaker opponents and regain some confidence. I also believe his combination with Johnson will develop and once it does, it'll lead to some beautiful Rugby League.

As an Australian, I feel like I have a strange indifference towards the Kiwis, but I really hope Tomkins can find his feet in the NRL and I'm going to say that he'll be one of the top players in the competition.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
He'll be a star, without doubt, it might take a full season or so for him to fully find his groove, but there's too much talent there for him not to be a star.

Warriors have been really disappointing so far this season, let's hope they can turn it around, they're my 2nd favourite team behind the Broncos.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I think he is being found out a bit Pete, that's not saying he won't improve and quickly but I have my doubts.
Also I think there is trouble in the Warriors camp. Hurrell has been overlooked twice and going on selections is now the 4th best centre at the club behind Ropati even.

The dogs were barking last year about a player revolt until they started winning now they look like they are going through the motions.

Mannering usually has such a high work rate and today he does 20 tackles and has 8 runs for 74 mtrs and he's the captain. They just look like they don't want to put in the hard yards.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
He has the talent and potential to be a gun fullback here but it looks like he needs time to settle in and find his groove. Currently if you just rush into his face and apply pressure to him he struggles to make any impact.

I've watched both of the Warriors first 2 games and they would have to be the most frustrating team to go for. They have plenty of talent and potential but they are inconsistent as shit and struggle to play for a whole 80 minutes to their best potential.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I thought with the three pronged play makers, massive forward pack and speed to burn in the backline, they would be a huge threat. Turn out I know shit. My mates constantly remind me of this . They're tigers supporters Sooooooo!!!!

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Also I think there is trouble in the Warriors camp. Hurrell has been overlooked twice and going on selections is now the 4th best centre at the club behind Ropati even.

I don't believe that's the case, according to RLW Mole (Warriors fan), Hurrell came to training camp 10kg or so overweight, hence why he hasn't been chosen, from memory I think Moley said he'll be back in Round 3 / 4, depending on how long it takes him to get to game weight.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
My prediction is that Tomkins will fail and hurry back home to mummy and the half of the ESL teams he can carve.

He's doing in the NRL exactly the same as he was doing against the better teams in the ESL: Pretty much nothing!

He's really easy to rattle, and once he gets ironed out by an opponent, his confidence immediately disappears...

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
The guy has obvious class as a playmaking. You'd only need to watch the match against the Eels to see that. He made great decisions down the right edge, set up two good chances for Fisiiahi (only one was scored from) and the try assist for Tuimavave's try too.

Whether or not he has the whole package as a fullback is up for debate, as I think he's looked unsure under the high ball and hasn't done too much on his kick returns. The wind was blowing strongly yesterday though, so perhaps an aberration. I think he'll improve in that regard too, but honestly, they could stick him at five-eight and I still think he'd prove a good buy.

Hopefully the Cowboys can touch them up next week though. That'll send their premiership odds way out, and will be the perfect time to back them, because as Pete said, once SJ and Tomkins learn to combine as a duo they will start troubling a lot of teams.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
They will trouble no one until their forwards start running hard, even Parra will.... oh wait

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Good point [MENTION=1978]Dexter[/MENTION] The Warriors are playing poorly. Once their forwards start getting the job done Tomkins will light it up.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I've said all along that he will be a failure. By failure I mean that for his cost he'd need to be in the top 2 or 3 FB's, week in & week out, to justify the expense. He definitely has the acceleration and whippet-like running game that gave him his name, but there is absolutely nothing to him. It's shown in his kick returns where someone just needs to get a finger to his jersey and he's prime for a rag dolling. One-on-one defence on his line will surely be tested.

I can't help think that there would be a bunch of Australian players that would be able to show the same skills if they were allowed to play at the same weight as Tomkins.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I've always had a theory that it is a lot easier for ESL forwards to adapt to the NRL than backs, because the ESL is a lot more one-out and forward orientated type of game. Less reliance is placed upon skill from the playmaking halves and fullbacks. My theory could well be wrong as I am not Rugby League genius but it came about by the likes of Burgess(s), Ellis, Graham etc coming over here and performing well, whereas ESL stars like Danny McGuire don't entertain the thought. Apart from Widdop but he didn't play ESL before coming to the Storm IIRC.

Which is why I think it will take Tomkins at least a year to really hit his straps. He won't be helped by the fact that Johnson is so ridiculously inconsistent.

I think when all's said and done he will be very good though.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He scored a try yesterday and everytime he touched the ball, he has a knack of creating space for his outside man. He'll need a while to adjust to the NRL but he's a brilliant player. The Warriors playing like children to start the year doesn't help.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
My prediction is that Tomkins will fail and hurry back home to mummy and the half of the ESL teams he can carve.

He's doing in the NRL exactly the same as he was doing against the better teams in the ESL: Pretty much nothing!

He's really easy to rattle, and once he gets ironed out by an opponent, his confidence immediately disappears...

Nothing? He's had two try assists and a try in his first two games...

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Everything Tomkins has done so far in terms of defusing bombs and returning kicks is fair game, as he's been very timid in both regards so far. However, I maintain his playmaking down the right side has been genuine class. Take a look at our trial game against them - Warriors scored a bunch of tries down their right side because Tomkins made the right decision each and every time. He knew which player to pass it to, how long to hold it up for, did his job perfectly in that regard. And that was a game where the Warrior forwards were well and truly on top.

Even against the Eels, the same decision making was on show. 2/3 tries the Warriors scored was down the right edge and Fisiiahi almost had 2, and all 3 chances came because of Tomkins finding the right man. Shit, pussy weak fullback? So far, not the most inaccurate description, but as far as a five eight type 2nd man playmaker goes he's been top notch.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
For 750k, you would want your player to be better in more areas than just playmaking. So far, he hasn't shown his worth. I hope he doesn't so all of the pommy fans on facebook can piss off.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • Organix
  • broncs30
  • Allo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Browny
  • mitch222
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • Tmac
  • Strop
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.