Sam Tomkins

It might take him a whole year to adjust, but I think he'll be awesome in the future for the Warriors.

Tomkins is getting targeted in the NRL and I think that is really what he is struggling with.

This is how he has always been. He will be deadly and take advantage of broken play, but he is cod ordinary in defence and won't do much against the better teams who don't give him the space he needs to be dangerous.

That's why I think he's extremely overrated. Hence my agenda...

Made some shit errors today but I thought he was key in a fair few tries and a nice try scored himself. He's got a real smart footy brain and knows when to pass or run. I think he'll be a great player but will need time to adjust to the change of pace in the NRL. He has the raw talent to make it as a top class player.

Regardless of whether you rate him or not, you at need to least give him some time before coming to a conclusive opinion.

This is a fella who is playing in a different league, in a different country, with a whole new time. Those factors can have a big influence on how well you perform on the field.

I agree with Porthoz, cod ordinary against the better sides, he only came good yesterday when the Tigers ran out of puff.
Steps sideways way too much and usually back inside which kills the next play.

How long are people going to give him to adapt? Seriously LOL'g at giving a bloke on his money a year to adapt!

Defensively weak.....

Does look good with the ball in his hands.

Kinda sums up most of the poms who have ever come out to play in the NRL

mehh ......

As a warriors fan I wouldn't be happy they spent all that money on the guy. Not based on his performances thus far, but more on they already had fullbacks coming out their arse. Given time I think they would have been better off with Fisiiahi......

How about more than four rounds?

Ben Barba hasn't exactly set the world on fire for us yet, let's **** him off then eh.

Barba has at least shown he can dominate in this far superior comp. Tomkins has consistently shown that the higher the quality of football, the more he wilts. I again say, how many NRL backs or halves would look as evasive if they were allowed to take the field at a low 80s, high 70's playing weight.

How about more than four rounds?

Ben Barba hasn't exactly set the world on fire for us yet, let's **** him off then eh.
You're seriously going to go there?

Comparing the 2012 NRL Dally M player, who has proven himself in the toughest comp in the world, is still playing underdone by injury niggles and cost the Broncos a third of what Lolkins cost the Warriors, with a ESL player who is in the top 5 best paid, has never been able to do anything against the better teams in his entire career, and whose sole highlights consist of taking advantage of piss poor defenses... right.

If the guy was a gamble on an average salary, I wouldn't make these comments, but this guy is absolutely head and shoulders above everyone else in the overrated players stakes.

You know, I was actually in the 'Tomkins will be an overpriced failure' camp before the beginning of the season, but I was prepared to wait and see how he went before coming on here and telling everyone how much of a genius I am (I am a genius though, guyzzz).

But as of today, I'm hoping he'll absolutely carve up. You can tell me how much he cost and all that whoopla, but price doesn't change the fact that he's a human being, and moving to an entirely new country, in a team with new people, in a new league is a bloody tough thing to do. Kudos to him for having the cojones to give it a go, even if he is being nicely remunerated for his troubles.

As a football fan Porthoz, you should know how many high profile players make big money moves from one country to another, and initially struggle, before coming into their own. It's just the way life is sometimes. Rugby league is no different.

I see your side of the argument, but I'm just going to wait until the end of the year. I reckon it's pointless discussing it before then.

Tomkins is only a small guy so he really relies on his forward pack winning the match up. He can't impose himself on games physically like other fullbacks. I expect Tomkins to really light it up when the Warriors forwards start firing.

Tomkins is only a small guy so he really relies on his forward pack winning the match up. He can't impose himself on games physically like other fullbacks. I expect Tomkins to really light it up when the Warriors forwards start firing.

blog_pic42345844245_.gif

The thing is Ning, he's not playing any different to what he was doing in the ESL, he really isn't. What he's shown so far, is the same he has shown for years in the ESL, not more, not less.

People look at the highlights of him carving up bad defenses, blow their load and think he's going to do that to good teams... he never has and most likely never will. On top of that, he will find it much tougher defending in the NRL, and will be found out regularly.

The Tigers game is a perfect example of Tomkins. As long as the other team doesn't fall apart, he is ordinary, but if they do, he will certainly take advantage of it. The question is, hoe often will that happen in the NRL, and do his pros weigh up against his cons at $750K p/y rate (+ the signing fee the Warriors had to pay)?

P.S. I understand what you're saying regarding players adapting to their new surroundings when they move countries and cultures, but do you really think a player with a top 5 salary in any Football competition, would be given the benefit of the doubt for a whole year? Would Real Madrid give Ronaldo a year to "adapt"? Aguero at Man City? Or even Drogba at Galatasaray, to name a few?

Defensively weak.....

Does look good with the ball in his hands.

Kinda sums up most of the poms who have ever come out to play in the NRL

mehh ......

As a warriors fan I wouldn't be happy they spent all that money on the guy. Not based on his performances thus far, but more on they already had fullbacks coming out their arse. Given time I think they would have been better off with Fisiiahi......

I wouldn't say Adrian Morely and the Burgess brothers are defensively week.

Mr Fourex also said MOST of the Poms ....not all of the Poms

:wave:

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • Skyblues87
  • Smokin' Joe
  • Broncosgirl
  • john1420
  • Waynesaurus
  • marw
  • Gaz
  • Tim K
  • FACTHUNT
  • heartly87
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncoscope
  • Alec
  • Old Mate
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Big Del
  • Reds2011
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.