Sam Tomkins

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Wouldn't go so far as to say Tomkins has proven himself fully yet but his form the last 3 games now has been absolutely superb. Again, defence will never be outstanding but he definitely hasn't been a liability in defence of late.

Certainly haven't heard much from his doubters lately.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He's been very good, also Barba could take a tip from him to hit the ground quickly so he doesn't get dragged back.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Yeah, he's totally worth $750K... :laugh:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Yep, last 3 weeks he certainly has been.
Oh okay we should only look at players good games when evaluating their worth... and totally forget their defense too, who cares about that?
We should really just look at their flashy plays, like you and Spwn do, because anything else is just boring and unimportant... :takdir:

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Oh okay we should only look at players good games when evaluating their worth... and totally forget their defense too, who cares about that?
We should really just look at their flashy plays, like you and Spwn do, because anything else is just boring and unimportant... :takdir:

But you seem happy to forget about the defense of Mr Gillett

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

I'm not picking out good games he has had this season, I'm picking the last 3 games he has played. Coming from the ESL there was always going to be a bit of time to get up to speed and adjust to the NRL. Playing well in his last 3 games suggests he is finding his footing and proving his value. Not just at home against a Faders outfit either -- he was MOTM against the Storm in Melbourne, so don't go playing the shit opposition card.

Also, please point to me an occasion in the last 3 games where Tomkins has been a liability in defence. Made a great try saver on Nightingale 3 weeks ago and has been secure under the high ball in his last 3 games.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
But you seem happy to forget about the defense of Mr Gillett
Gee, you seem to come to your g/f's rescue rather quickly. I would spend all day doing that if I was going to defend Gillett's poor games... which I obviously don't. He was poor yesterday and there's no excuse for his lack of concentration.

I also don't go around asking where all his detractors are when he does play good games, which he has done more often than Tomkins.

I don't like the chav, and I never denied his ability in attack, albeit mostly against poor defenses, but he's not and never will be worth $750K a year + $1M transfer fee.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gee, you seem to come to your g/f's rescue rather quickly.

My relationship with Sam is not like that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'd pay Tomkins 750k any day over 400+ for Kennedy...

I don't get where you think I like all these flashy players, who are they? Yes I rate Tomkins, yes I rate SJ, they're both incredible players who I would have in our team any day of the week. But who are all these flashy players that you seem to think I like?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Chris Sandow $550K

Boom shacka lacka.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Those two little barely touch the ball flick passes today were worth $750,000. That's a freakish pass, and he proved he didn't fluke it.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Two flick passes which led to trys that would have died in the ass had someone like Hoffman been there.

Sets up Vatuvei with a beautiful pass, safe under the high ball, offers a genuine kicking game, is a second 5/8 the way he play, is still young, can also goal kick.

He's definitely worth 750k with the salary cap increases and the increases that are still coming in the next few years.

He's not a bargain at that price but it's a fair price.

Consider this though, the Warriors have reportedly sign Mannering to a deal worth 700-800 a year and Hoffman on 600, now they're outrageous salaries for what those signings offer.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
They must be worth it, someone is paying that for them... like Sandow and Norman are worth 1M at the Eels. BOOM!

Want another example Spwn? Benji Marshall is someone you would rave about as well... you do have a type mate! :wink:

Regardless, this is the type of salary bracket that only greats of the game should get, like a Thurston, Smith, Inglis or DCE should get, not inconsistent players who can put it on one game and be virtually invisible the next two... SJ and Tomkins fall into that category.

As to Tomkins safety under the high ball and his defense... I wouldn't hold my breath!

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Jury still out on Tomkins for me, flat track bully is how I see him ATM

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Two flick passes which led to trys that would have died in the ass had someone like Hoffman been there.

Sets up Vatuvei with a beautiful pass, safe under the high ball, offers a genuine kicking game, is a second 5/8 the way he play, is still young, can also goal kick.

He's definitely worth 750k with the salary cap increases and the increases that are still coming in the next few years.

He's not a bargain at that price but it's a fair price.

Consider this though, the Warriors have reportedly sign Mannering to a deal worth 700-800 a year and Hoffman on 600, now they're outrageous salaries for what those signings offer.

People whining about the price also seem to be forgetting the fact that he's moved from England to Australia. A big chunk of that money can be put down to incentive. Think about the mines, you get paid a shit load more for working our west than you do in Brisbane, because you are paid to live away from your home.

Unread

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
  • LGH
  • Tmac
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Organix
  • mitch222
  • Scorchie
  • Battler
  • Browny
  • Strop
  • teampjta
... and 42 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.