Scott Prince to play in Auckland 9's

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
No Cookies | The Courier Mail

IT was the King two years ago, now the Prince will reign at the Auckland Nines.

Former Wests Tigers premiership-winning halfback Scott Prince is poised to come out of retirement and play for Brisbane in the Auckland Nines on February 4-5.
Prince, 36, has been in talks with Broncos officials about a comeback and has remained exceptionally fit since retiring from Brisbane back in 2013.

A host of former champions have returned to compete at the Nines, including Matt King for Souths and Ken Nagas for Canberra last year.
The previous season, Steve Menzies came back for Manly, as did legendary Rooster Brad Fittler.
And this year, Matt Bowen returned for North Queensland, Braith Anasta turned out for Sydney Roosters while Jason Croker appeared for Canberra.
Now it appears Prince will once again run out in Brisbane colours. He had two stints with the Broncos — between 2001 and 2003 and then again in 2013.
“Nothing has been finalised but I’d certainly be keen to play in an exciting event like the Auckland Nines,” Prince told The Daily Telegraph.

Just last week, Prince looked fit and sharp during a celebrity touch footy day at Suncorp Stadium.

The annual tournament is set to sizzle again with Prince playing, Jarryd Hayne representing Gold Coast and Johnathan Thurston lining up for North Queensland.
Prince, who was the playmaker for Wests Tigers’ historic 2005 grand final win over North Queensland, received strong backing last night from Fittler.
“Scotty is a real footy player — that stuff never dies. I did a pretty good job of not getting tackled, that should be on his radar as well,” Fittler said.

“He will be a little bit slower but the skills will still be there. As I said, he won’t want to get tackled. They squeeze you a lot harder these days than when we were playing.
“Scotty will get a huge lift out of playing. The big thing for me was going back and hanging with the young kids for the weekend.
“I roomed with Mitchell Pearce which was hilarious. We had an absolute ball.”
Tournament officials are expecting sell-out crowds for both days of the Nines.
“It’s really good fun, it takes a lot of contact out of it. It can be played by all different shapes and sizes. The Nines are a real success,” said Fittler, who tipped Penrith to win the tournament.

New Zealand Warriors will start $4 favourites over North Queensland ($5).
“The Warriors have opened favourites for the fourth time but are still chasing their first title,” TAB spokesman Matt Jenkins said.
“They always field a strong side and are always popular with our punters.”
All teams will again be under pressure to send strong, respectable sides.

Last edited:
That's great! Good Ol' Princey

You get the feeling Bennett would fill the entire Nines squad with retired players if he had the chance

Get Leon Bott and Tame Tupou in the team!

And each year we see more and more why this comp is a joke and should be scrapped.

Or just let all of the dinosaurs play it and keep the actual players out of it.

Now if it was Lockyer I'd be excited... Make it happen White!

Benji and Prince reunion on the cards.
Sending Minto over would be grossly unfair to the other teams in the competition.

Always loved watching Princey. Should be interesting to see Prince and Benji playing together again.

Id bust a nut if Locky strapped on the boots for the Nines.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrRobot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • ostin86
  • Lurker
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Scorchie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.