Second Brisbane NRL Bid

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Meh, teams these days are known less by their geographical name and mostly by their moniker. Ring pretty much any professional RL club and when they answer the phone they won't mention the locational name of the club - it's the sponsor and moniker. Eg "Welcome to the NRMA Broncos, how may I help you?".

Listen to / read any media about the game and you will rarely see a club's location name -club press releases, websites and official documents, NRL website and official documents, they all just use the moniker as the team's name. These days the geographical part of a team's name is pretty much never used.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
To be serious i entered the name "Vipers" and from that i had on my mind rattlesnakes.. 3:16

Its a wrestling thing, something you don't understand ;)

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Ohhhh. So it was a fake joke then. Easy.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Brisbane Boars

They're pig headed, and they'll be boring.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Well looks like this second bid are serious and the NRL would be stupid to not pay attention.

Cooper,SBW and now O'Connor all rumored to be in talks with the Brisbane Bid team. Naturally they won't sign all 3 but even one is enough.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super ... 6068397721
James O'Connor's management has held informal talks with the prospective NRL franchise in a sign the 20-year-old Western Force phenomenon could be lost to rugby union.

The bid team cannot reasonably afford O'Connor plus another rugby target, Queensland Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper or Crusaders and All Blacks star Sonny Bill Williams, but the loss of one of the Wallabies sensations would be damaging to the Australian Rugby Union.

L

levikade

NYC Player
Mar 14, 2008
far out.. your frothing on union players lately.

ill put my bank on them not signing any of those. i highly the trio are even interested

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
The Rock said:
What so just because some high profile Union players MIGHT sign with a new Brisbane side, the NRL should give the Brisbane side more consideration? Pfft. How is that even close to being a valid justification for a new Brisbane team. It means SFA really.

It's not just because of the high profile players, It's everything the bid are doing publicly that should have the NRL paying attention.

You wouldn't hear much about it down there, so i don't expect you to really know anything about the second team.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
draggx said:
The Rock said:
What so just because some high profile Union players MIGHT sign with a new Brisbane side, the NRL should give the Brisbane side more consideration? Pfft. How is that even close to being a valid justification for a new Brisbane team. It means SFA really.

It's not just because of the high profile players, It's everything the bid are doing publicly that should have the NRL paying attention.

You wouldn't hear much about it down there, so i don't expect you to really know anything about the second team.

They're not doing anything special IMO. In fact, they're proving far less proactive and productive than the Titans consortium were. They made a compelling argument the NRL couldn't ignore.

2nd Brisbane is just saying "look at us, we're in Brisbane and we have money". Haven't got ANY community backing like the Titans did, the CC Bears do, even Perth and Central Queensland have more local support.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
All strikes me as a PR exercise.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
draggx said:
Cooper,SBW and now O'Connor all rumored to be in talks with the Brisbane Bid team. Naturally they won't sign all 3 but even one is enough.

Cooper will stay in Union, he mentions league to up his contract.

SBW won't take a paycut & remember he walked out on his last league contract.

If O'Connor signs with League it's no great shock, he played League until he was about 15. (he probably left, because he was an Eels Junior.)

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Cooper came to Australia intending to play league in Sydney with SKD, He only ended up playing Union because he opted to live in Brisbane with his family instead.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Didn't he know there was a league team called the Brisbane Broncos, that is based there. [icon_lol1.

And that they are linked to several other league teams. [icon_shru

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Spoon
  • bb_gun
  • Fozz
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.