NEWS Segeyaro, a modern day Richard Kimble

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
David Riccio lifts the lid on the James Segeyaro saga in The Sunday Telegraph. This is his first interview since testing positive to banned substance di-hydroxy LGD-4033.

PNG international Segeyaro says his housemate shared his blender to mix a supplement that was legal for him, but not for James. And he's backed it up with statutory declarations. But there's been no resolution:

“I just don’t understand why they’re (Asada) taking so long to come up with a decision because it’s pushed me into a corner really. How am I meant to get on with my life?"

Screenshot 2020 03 10 Segeyaro Banned drugs in shared blender with flatmate1

Accused of dirty deeds.

“I thought it was a black-and-white case, particularly after the second interview with my roommate, who explained the substance was his and for his use only – I don’t understand what they also need to look at. Sometimes I feel like I’m drowning and they (Asada) are watching me drown. I’m a human being. Does it really take five months to get any sort of clarification of what my life may look like going forward?”

Segeyaro was holidaying in Jordan and Saudi Arabia with Corey Norman and Matt Moylan when he got the news:

“The person on the end of the line introduced himself as an Asada investigator and then began to tell me my A sample had come back positive to a banned substance – I nearly fainted. I was gobsmacked. I then asked so many questions like, how is it consumed, it is a tablet, is it in powder form. He said to me there’s someone that has also been done in Australia with the same substance and her name is Shayna Jack (Australian swimmer) – I’ve got to admit, I hadn’t heard of Shayna’s situation. “I had to Google her to understand who she was. He then told me I would be required for interview as part of the investigation.’’

F3e74b90f46531e7e279c4099c68e60d

National hero.

“They must have thought this was something more than what it was. Segeyaro says the meeting came to an abrupt pause when the housemate’s written statement was presented by Fuller. About a week after the news broke he (roommate) called me and was just saying ‘sorry, sorry … I bought it, I put it in the blender for my protein shakes. He had purchased it a month before I had arrived at the house. I didn’t drink his shakes, I drank mine. But every time I drank my shake I rinsed it out with water, as most people do. I didn’t think of stripping the blender apart to clean it because I wasn’t to know every ingredient he was putting into his shake – you rinse the thing out and you think, its clean, don’t you? I could’ve got angry at him (roommate), but I thought what’s the point in getting angry at him – it’s not illegal for him, he’s just taking protein as part of his training.’’

He's now facing a four-year ban, and not heard dick from the NRL or Asada since being grilled. It's not just the faffing around that's giving him the shits; it's hitting him in the back pocket, putting pressure on his wife Saryne and family. In the meantime, he's tried his hand at concreting just to cover the lawyers. And now he's having to stump up his $600,000 “dream” home in Cairns.

Screenshot 2020 03 10 Segeyaro Banned drugs in shared blender with flatmate

Mouths to feed.

“I could understand that during the Christmas period that everyone goes on a two-week break, but after Christmas I thought I could at least get some clarity on where I’m at. That it could be, another month, or two months, or three months … whatever it is. But if I was to open up a business I can’t do anything because this is just lingering over my head. I can’t do anything as an NRL footballer because under the terms of the breach I’m not allowed too – I’m prohibited from making an income if I was to give someone a one-on-one training session or host clinics. I don’t know if Asada understands the financial pressure that these situations create on individuals."

"If I have done something wrong I would put my hand up straight away. I wouldn’t be here talking to you now because I would’ve known that I stuffed up. ’Everyone who knows me knows how I know I am about what I put into my body. It’s a lonely place. It’s like an overwhelming feeling that the whole world is caving in. You feel upset and you ask why you feel like a useless. Why? You go from an environment where you feel appreciated and you feel like you’re contributing to the community and then and then suddenly you do a 180 and you feel like a burden to everyone else.’’

No comment from ASADA due to the ongoing investigation.

McHunt

Last edited:
I really feel for Segs
I'd feel a lot better about this season if he were on the bench rather than Macca.

As for his alibi, fucked if I know, but I tend to wash my blender after I use it. With detergent. You fill it with water. Give it a spin. Tip it out. Rinse with water. Done. Ten seconds.

And even if he just gave it a rinse you'd have to think any residue would be trace, at best. There must be some kind of margin of error that would see that. You'd think.

Last edited:
Don’t know what all the fuss is. Ordinary player.

Gave his best every time he was on the field. Everything you'd want from an impact player.

Moved around clubs like a pinball, because he wasn’t that good and didn’t make good off field decisions. Just because he had speed, that didn’t make him a good player.

As far as I'm concerned James is innocent until proven otherwise. This inordinate delay has already proved to have disastrous consequence for him and his family.

How hard is it for the guys at Asada to meet and decide whether they are gonna accept his alibi or not. At least then the guy can get on with his life.

Not sure I'd have him back at the Broncos though as his previous stuff up was not a good look either.

For what it's worth, I have been training folks including bodybuiding competitors for a couple of decades and NEVER have heard of anyone putting an oral steroid or in this case SARM (Selective androgen Modulator) in a fucking blender EVER. I like Segs to but I don't buy that story at all.

Yeah his story may not be true, I'm not one to say, but the issue is ASADA not making a decision. He needs to know one way or another so he can either play league or figure out how he will earn a living for the rest of his life.

The story sounds too dumb luck to have been just made up.. at first I was naahh. Then reading on I was... Hmm. That might actually be a thing.

They should just replicate the scenario and try it on someone as a control patient. See if the exact scenario proves he could accidentally drink the stuff and if so, he should be cleared.

If it isn't an illegal substance for general public he should be cleared with a more prompt action response then letting the guys career slip away.

Hopefully he's keeping his fitness up (legally)

All this drama hasn’t stopped him opening a new business...

YKTR has been around for a few years now

I think seggy needs to understand that there is a process that asada must follow and that he isn’t the only athlete in the world they test.

I think seggy needs to understand that there is a process that asada must follow and that he isn’t the only athlete in the world they test.
Not buying that excuse for a second. He had to jet back from abroad to attend an urgent interrogation. They all had time for that.

And how many other household names got busted in the last few months?

Segeyaro has burnt a lot of bridges during his career. Don’t know if they’d be too many people feeling sorry for him out there.

His mates name is ‘Ice’. That says it all really.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.