NEWS Segeyaro wants to seal the deal

Tom

State of Origin Rep
The fact that it looks bad at all for the club is where the problem lies. He's brought the club into disrepute by doing something stupid and the coach who has laid his neck out for him wouldn't be happy with him at all. Bend over? By punishing him slightly? Now I'm sure you haven't even read my post. It's called reading comprehension, mate. If you're having trouble reading the text there are plenty of strategies I can teach you to help.
So how is it a punishment if you are paying him on top? He is already on at least 100k\yr, wouldn't making him work in the cafe for free make more sense? Guess I will just take all your posts literally from now on, that should be fun.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
So how is it a punishment if you are paying him on top? He is already on at least 100k\yr, wouldn't making him work in the cafe for free make more sense? Guess I will just take all your posts literally from now on, that should be fun.
Hopefully @Nashy can fix the block system soon and we won't have to worry about any of that. Fine him 5k and have him make it back by giving back to the club. Again, I didn't say he should be suspended, just punished. Do you believe he shouldn't be punished at all? You've moved the goal posts by the way. Your initial comment was wrong and idiotic.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I tell you what: when was the last time any media organisation, the people who write these stories, sacked anyone for gettting bladdered at lunch or being coked up on the weekend? I can't even imagine what would happen if they started drug testing in the media. TV and radio would go into a state of emergency.
Who wants him sacked? And you cant compare Segeyaro to some unknown working for somebody in the media. Segeyaro is a reasonably well known sportsman playing for the biggest team in the NRL, of course he is going to attract attention and the Brisbane Broncos name is attatched to him.

And there are loads of jobs across the country that randomly test blokes for drugs and alcohol. My employer does it, work in the mines, they do it, loads of them do it and it can cost you your job. Now i personally dont feel Segeyaro has done anything major, but i still think the club should give him a consequence for his stupidity in breaking the law and dragging our name into the press in a negative way.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
I dont think it should be anything too severe, but at the same time, i think if any player breaks the law, and he has broken the law, then he should be stood down for a game. If it becomes a habit, then we have to look into it deeper.
Fair point, I agree.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Hopefully @Nashy can fix the block system soon and we won't have to worry about any of that. Fine him 5k and have him make it back by giving back to the club. Again, I didn't say he should be suspended, just punished. Do you believe he shouldn't be punished at all? You've moved the goal posts by the way. Your initial comment was wrong and idiotic.
What's wrong with the block system? I'd say a slap on the wrist and write out 50 lines "I will not drive morning after drinking" should suffice.

You have also moved the goalposts, you never said anything about a fine in your op.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I didn't care about this but after seeing the reaction online he's definitely brought the club into disrepute.
he could have saved an orphan from a burning building and the opposition fans (and certain sections of the media) would have accused him of setting the fire in the first place ... that's the issue he now faces by playing for us.

it is not any worse than what Haas did when he committed his offenses while already suspended.

a fine, a 1 week suspension and he gets back to business

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
he could have saved an orphan from a burning building and the opposition fans (and certain sections of the media) would have accused him of setting the fire in the first place ... that's the issue he now faces by playing for us.

it is not any worse than what Haas did when he committed his offenses while already suspended.

I think Haas got away with worse than Seggy did tbh.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
What's wrong with the block system? I'd say a slap on the wrist and write out 50 lines "I will not drive morning after drinking" should suffice.

You have also moved the goalposts, you never said anything about a fine in your op.
That's not moving the goal posts, that's adding to what I said. You moved the goal posts from reading between the lines about me wanting him suspended to how does that punishment work. I was merely explaining how it would work.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom

Broncapz

QCup Player
No ones life was endangered which is the MASSIVE distinction between this offense and actual drink driving. Most P drivers at one stage or another will break this zero tolerence for alcohol limit. The limit is so low because the law is aimed at younger minds and bodies.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
No ones life was endangered which is the MASSIVE distinction between this offense and actual drink driving. Most P drivers at one stage or another will break this zero tolerence for alcohol limit. The limit is so low because the law is aimed at younger minds and bodies.
This is actual drink driving. Same offence regardless of the reading, just different wording in the charge.

And by definition everybody’s life was endangered, hence why drink driving is illegal.

Now as an example of the difference, Payne Haas for instance didn’t endanger anybody with his Unlicenced Driving charge. He just risked his liability and insurance position...

Last edited:

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

The funny thing is I could actually see this playing out on NRL 360.

Ikin: “Now we have all been amazed by the heroics of James Segeyaro who we now all know risked his life to enter a burning building to bring everyone inside to safety, however Paul you have some news that might cast this in a more sinister light?”

Kent: “That’s right Ben and it’s very disturbing, There has been some suggestion that James was able to be on the scene so quickly because he in fact set the fire, now this is all unconfirmed at this stage but the suggestion itself is horrifying”.

Rothfield: *shakes uncontrollably*

Broncapz

QCup Player
This is actual drink driving. Same offence regardless of the reading, just different wording in the charge.

And by definition everybody’s life was endangered, hence why drink driving is illegal.

Now as an example of the difference, Payne Haas for instance didn’t endanger anybody with his Unlicenced Driving charge. He just risked his liability and insurance position...
The fact is, an extremely high % of P platers have violated this law unknowingly. It is such an easy law to break by even the most honest of people.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
The fact is, an extremely high % of P platers have violated this law unknowingly. It is such an easy law to break by even the most honest of people.
It’s also an extremely easy law not to break. Don’t go anywhere near a car during or soon after you’ve been drinking.

You’d be amazed at how difficult it is to attract a drink driving charge, when you don’t drive any time near to when you’ve been drinking.

Almost as amazing as how nigh on impossible it is, to not attract a speeding fine if you never exceed the speed limit...

Last edited:

QCup Player
What isnt disclosed with Segs is the actual reading. If the station reading was stupidly low, he could actually argue his way out of, with a good lawyer. My problem is that a fit, high metabolic rate male liver will process 1.5 drinks every hour at best. For him to still be touching the meter the following AM, assuming they stopped drinking at 12pm and get got pinged at 7am means he would have had at least 4-5 drinks parked in his system during the last hour until 12pm. Not the most responsible thing to be doing.
- Merged

Mr Policeman,

You are forgetting and assuming Mr Haas is actually skilled, tested and verified to hold a license....Lack of license could also indicate irresponsible behavior or discipline on the road - both which can endanger others. I see no difference.

Last edited:

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
What isnt disclosed with Segs is the actual reading. If the station reading was stupidly low, he could actually argue his way out of, with a good lawyer. My problem is that a fit, high metabolic rate male liver will process 1.5 drinks every hour at best. For him to still be touching the meter the following AM, assuming they stopped drinking at 12pm and get got pinged at 7am means he would have had at least 4-5 drinks parked in his system during the last hour until 12pm. Not the most responsible thing to be doing.
Mistake of fact is explicitly not a defence to drink driving at law, so unless he is going to argue an extraordinary emergency caused him to drive, that lawyer of yours is going to have to be some lawyer...

I’m a caffeine addict myself, but I struggle to see how that will fit the definition...

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I tell you what: when was the last time any media organisation, the people who write these stories, sacked anyone for gettting bladdered at lunch or being coked up on the weekend? I can't even imagine what would happen if they started drug testing in the media. TV and radio would go into a state of emergency.
I'm guessing there's at least one furry faced, dark eyebrowed media lady who likes a line or two judging by recent interviews I've seen her do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter