NEWS Seibold and Dearden not talking (about that rumour)

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Courier Mail makes up some shit, forcing the Broncos coach to deny it:

“I’ve spoken to Tom on a number of occasions, he hasn’t indicated to me that he wants to leave the club. It would be unfair on Brodie and ‘Milf’ to make a change so quickly. Tom knows where he stands, but he hasn’t indicated he wants to leave. We are in a good position to have him, Brodie and ‘Milf’ as three players competing for two positions."

Tom

Not getting any younger

“When Tom gets a chance, he will make the most of it. When he plays football, he will show what he can do. But it’s a big ask throwing him in the deep end at such a young age. Tom is a Bronco, he wants to play first grade at the broncos, but the reality is he hasn’t played a full game of football since last May. There’s no Queensland Cup. I have no doubt Tom is an NRL player, the challenge has been is he’s had injuries and then COVID shut down the Queensland Cup.

“He needs some football, we need to get him on the park and guys across all 16 clubs have hardly played any football. That’s the challenge that has been put in front of him. He has been training well, he is a really good and smart young football player. Only a couple of weeks after his 18th birthday, I gave him his debut. I have a lot of faith in Tom, he is contracted until the end of 2021, and he has never had a discussion with me about wanting to move.”

McHunt

Last edited:
This is all fine at the moment and I believe what Siebold has said.
Crunch time will come at some stage next season if both Croft and Milford indicate they want to renew their contracts.
Then a hard call will have to be made on someone.

This is all fine at the moment and I believe what Siebold has said.
Crunch time will come at some stage next season if both Croft and Milford indicate they want to renew their contracts.
Then a hard call will have to be made on someone.

I would first offer Milf a fairly heavily reduced contract to play next to Dearden or Croft gets to stay at the club on around the same as what he’s on now to play next to Dearden. Unless there is an extreme form improvement or slump from one or both of them. I would also keep my eye on the open market for a better option at a good value price. The 2021 off season is HUGE for halves coming off contract. It will obviously be far smaller by the time we can negotiate and some of these may be out of doubt already but there is plenty to keep an eye on.

axcording to zerotackle these notable halves are also off contract at the end of 2021:

Shaun Johnson
Chad Townsend

Lachlan Lewis
Tanah Boyd
Ash Taylor

Dylan Walker
Kodi Nikorima
Mitchell Pearce
Jake Clifford
Scott Drinkwater
Adam Reynolds

Corey Norman
Kyle Flanagan
Luke Keary

Josh Reynolds

The ones in bold you would at least entertain the idea to various degrees. Keary would be first pick. A 33 year old Pearce could have a lot to offer still and knights may be feeling a cap squeeze. Ash Taylor on a bargain price? Risky but worth considering. Johnson would’ve been a dream a few years ago but seems past it at the moment. The most exciting name for me there is Drinkwater, the kid has shown some real glimpses of a massive potential and has a very clever kicking game.

I would first offer Milf a fairly heavily reduced contract to play next to Dearden or Croft gets to stay at the club on around the same as what he’s on now to play next to Dearden. Unless there is an extreme form improvement or slump from one or both of them. I would also keep my eye on the open market for a better option at a good value price. The 2021 off season is HUGE for halves coming off contract. It will obviously be far smaller by the time we can negotiate and some of these may be out of doubt already but there is plenty to keep an eye on.

axcording to zerotackle these notable halves are also off contract at the end of 2021:

Shaun Johnson
Chad Townsend

Lachlan Lewis
Tanah Boyd
Ash Taylor

Dylan Walker
Kodi Nikorima
Mitchell Pearce
Jake Clifford
Scott Drinkwater
Adam Reynolds

Corey Norman
Kyle Flanagan
Luke Keary

Josh Reynolds

The ones in bold you would at least entertain the idea to various degrees. Keary would be first pick. A 33 year old Pearce could have a lot to offer still and knights may be feeling a cap squeeze. Ash Taylor on a bargain price? Risky but worth considering. Johnson would’ve been a dream a few years ago but seems past it at the moment. The most exciting name for me there is Drinkwater, the kid has shown some real glimpses of a massive potential and has a very clever kicking game.

If Luke Keary & Kyle Flanagan both re-sign it would be worth trying to get Sam Walker back given he would only play in the halves of their is an injury or suspension.

Is that a teenage moustache I see?

If Luke Keary & Kyle Flanagan both re-sign it would be worth trying to get Sam Walker back given he would only play in the halves of their is an injury or suspension.
Yeah that's the interesting part about the Roosters conundrum. A bit like ourselves, three doesn't go into two and one of Keary, Flanagan or Walker likely has to go in the next two seasons.

Logically the Roosters will probably look to move on the older Keary out of those three. We unfortunately might be competing with a second Brisbane side for that signature by then though.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the interesting part about the Roosters conundrum. A bit like ourselves, three doesn't go into two and one of Keary, Flanagan or Walker likely has to go in the next two seasons.

Logically the Roosters will probably look to move on the older Keary out of those three. We unfortunately might be competing with a second Brisbane side for that signature by then though.
I haven't been all that impressed with Flanagan... he's basically there as a goal kicker and supporting through the middle, but I'm not seeing anything seriously impressive about him at the moment

Keary is stepping up in that team at the moment so they would be crazy to run with Flanagan and Walker

I haven't been all that impressed with Flanagan... he's basically there as a goal kicker and supporting through the middle, but I'm not seeing anything seriously impressive about him at the moment

Keary is stepping up in that team at the moment so they would be crazy to run with Flanagan and Walker
Yeah but you're talking about two season from now remember. That would make Keary 30 and would add two more years of experience to Flanagan and Walker. Keary becomes much more replaceable at that point than he would be right now.

I'm not advocating any of them though. I think Croft and Dearden could give us a decade together if we back them. It's Milford we can afford to replace with a gun Fullback or Dummy Half.

Last edited:
chase Keary ... go with a halves combo of:

6. Keary
7. Dearden
It's not the worst idea, it's just likely to be a very expensive one, for a player who realistically will have likely already played his best footy by then.

We also have a likely second Brisbane team coming, so they'll be all over someone like Keary as a marquee signing and you could expect the NRL to look very favourably on helping to make than happen.

chase Keary ... go with a halves combo of:

6. Keary
7. Dearden
Keary is a talented competitor and I'd love him in our team. Even though he's an Ipswich boy, unfortunately I can't see him coming even if we paid him top dollar. I remember he had his knickers in a knot last year when Siebold compared his stats to Darius' stats. On top of that, I wouldn't imagine he'd want to leave a team that is regularly winning premierships and putting very large paper bags under his Christmas tree each year.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • bert_lifts
  • Manifesto
  • Waynesaurus
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.